4th Gen Lude Full Coilovers on CB7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4th Gen Lude Full Coilovers on CB7

Well, I've done research but all I come to see is that the fronts will fit, but rears won't. People say you have to use stock(cb7) rear shocks. But why?? The Mounting points look identical. Are the Lude shocks longer?? I ask bc some dude is selling some Megan Full coilovers with 700 miles on them for 300 off his 4th gen Lude and I'm debating on buying them. So yeah once again, why won't the rears fit exactly?? Thanks guys!

The rear suspension on a lude has upper control arms similar to the double anchor front upper control arms on your CB7 (correct me if I'm wrong). This may affect how it is mounted.
    Last edited by wildBill83; 10-18-2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
      The rear suspension on a lude has upper control arms similar to the double anchor front upper control arms on your CB7 (correct me if I'm wrong).
      Really?? Dammit I shoulda took a look at the lude in the jy before they crushed it. But shouldn't it still fit?? Hmm perhaps it is the top hat that can't make it through/around the double anchor UCA... What if you were to drop the upper control arm to slip in the coilover and then just reinstall the double anchor bolts??

Comment

Your car has a single rear UCA anchor bolt.

Comment

Your car has a single rear UCA anchor bolt.
          Damn I'm thinking too hard... Haha forgot for a sec. Well I don't see why they wouldn't fit. Mounting points seem to be identical. If anything the lower part of the shock body looks a little bit longer on the lude. Hmm and I believe 4th gen accord/lude knucles are interchangable, correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

I believe only the front knuckles.

The rear knuckles have different LCAs. On top of that the strut bolts to the prelude LCS not the knuckle so the point is moot.

It may work if you could find a way to swap the LCAs, but what a headache. Also it will throw off the geometry.
            Last edited by wildBill83; 10-18-2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

If they're the correct size and mounting locations are correct, I don't see why you couldn't install the Prelude coilovers, regardless of the single or double UCA.

Someone needs to do a test fit and verify the difference in the struts.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                If they're the correct size and mounting locations are correct, I don't see why you couldn't install the Prelude coilovers, regardless of the single or double UCA.

Someone needs to do a test fit and verify the difference in the struts.
                What about lower mount points? Aren't they located in different locations? LCA vs trailing arm?

Comment

The prelude rear shocks have a wider mounting fork at the bottom than all the other Hondas. They will not bolt up unfortunately, unless you get creative with some spacing collars...
                  There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                    The prelude rear shocks have a wider mounting fork at the bottom than all the other Hondas. They will not bolt up unfortunately, unless you get creative with some spacing collars...
                    Even if you did the lengths would be off, the prelude mounts on the lower control arm (first photo I posted) and the accord mounts on the knuckle/rear trailing arm (second photo I posted). This willl affect geometry.

Also, just because the top hat looks to be the same it may not be, the bolt holes could be a slightly different spacing, being that they are full coilovers, I doubt you would want to disassemble and put on the stock top hats.

If you over compress a strut because it is mounted shorter/longer than it was designed you run the risk of blowing out valves.
                    Last edited by wildBill83; 10-18-2012, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Even if you did the lengths would be off, the prelude mounts on the lower control arm (first photo I posted) and the accord mounts on the knuckle/rear trailing arm (second photo I posted). This willl affect geometry.

Also, just because the top hat looks to be the same it may not be, the bolt holes could be a slightly different spacing, being that they are full coilovers, I doubt you would want to disassemble and put on the stock top hats.

If you over compress a strut because it is mounted shorter/longer than it was designed you run the risk of blowing out valves.
                      Yes, that's true. I haven't had my cb7 for awhile, and forgot that the rear shocks don't mount to the control arm like the prelude.
                      There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X