• Time
  • Show
Clear All

i decided to weld

Comment

Originally posted by Crayola-r
      i decided to weld

I wanna see pics then!
      "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

i decided to weld

10charlimit

Comment

i decided to weld
          so what do you think the outcome of this choise will be?
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Comment

Wouldn't it be safer to drill three holes in each sleeve and thread it? That would allow you to use the screws that tighten with the hex key (sold at most auto stores) and "lock" the sleeve to the perch. As long as they aren't too long, the head will be countersunk in the sleeve and still allow the perches to go right over top of them. I have these screws on one set of coilovers but not on the cheapo junk ones I bought for $50. I couldn't find a pic except this one but only one of the screw holes are showing (pic on the right).

Comment

welding + shock absorber = 50% chance of exploding

there is nitrogen and other gasses in there that are flammable, if you heat them up enough............boom.

now in a controlled environment it might be fun to do, but i would highly suggest you not weld onto your shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by YK86
                  Wouldn't it be safer to drill three holes in each sleeve and thread it? That would allow you to use the screws that tighten with the hex key (sold at most auto stores) and "lock" the sleeve to the perch. As long as they aren't too long, the head will be countersunk in the sleeve and still allow the perches to go right over top of them. I have these screws on one set of coilovers but not on the cheapo junk ones I bought for $50. I couldn't find a pic except this one but only one of the screw holes are showing (pic on the right).

i have that , but i didnt get any screws... but i dont think it would work because the big bolts on the sleave (to drop or raise the suspension) are down over the hole for that...

what if i threaded the strut (like the real coilovers) , threading wouldnt blow anything up and it would be affixed to the strut.

Comment

Mine are countersunk in the sleeve so the spring perch can go right over top of those holes/screws. Just have to make sure the screws aren't too long/sticking out and the sleeves are thick enough to allow it to thread (the thickness of the collars seems to be the same regardless of good or cheap coilovers).

Also, a guy with a 3rd gen bought some adapters from Ground Control to make Ground Controls full bodied coilovers but it'll only work for Konis.

Comment

Originally posted by ib69nu
                      welding + shock absorber = 50% chance of exploding

there is nitrogen and other gasses in there that are flammable, if you heat them up enough............boom.

now in a controlled environment it might be fun to do, but i would highly suggest you not weld onto your shocks.
                      Wow, it took til page 2 for someone to have the sense to say this!?

As for springs being bad, that's a lie. Springs are good for a number of reasons. When you mess with ride height using coilovers, you need to get the wheels aligned or you'll have wear issues on the tires. Springs don't give you the chance to mess things up!

I would never buy inexpensive coilovers. $700 is the starting price for anything I would possibly consider. Springs and struts can be had for $400 or less on Ebay.

The Ground Control adapters for the Konis look interesting...

Comment

Any pressurized gas would be dangerous under the temperatures of a welder, flamable or not. Metal weakens with heat, certain gasses expand with heat, etc...

Comment

Working...
                        X