alignment opinion from guru or ASE tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alignment opinion from guru or ASE tech

I took my car to firestone and had a complete vehicle inspection done. it was fifteen bucks. well they said I need a hub and one inner tie rod plus the rack is leaking. just to get the alignment do I need to replace the rack and hub? I know the innerr tie rod I do . help guys.

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
    I took my car to firestone and had a complete vehicle inspection done. it was fifteen bucks. well they said I need a hub and one inner tie rod plus the rack is leaking. just to get the alignment do I need to replace the rack and hub? I know the innerr tie rod I do . help guys.
    You need to replace the tie rod, not the whole rack/pinion and also the bearing. the hub and bearing are pressed in.

Comment

i was going to do just the tie rod but I figured since I have the new rack id go ahead and do it... Its really not that hard its just time consuming. I think doing the rotors on both sides takes longer than doing a rack and pinion swap. Well... kinda.
      I did my both sides UCA LBJ CALI ROTORS HOSES and PADS and it took me about one day. (running back and forth to auto parts plus finding tools laying every were cause IDK Y people cant keep tools in one part)

I think doing the rack and pinion should take about 4 hours. I've done it before but Im going to do it again with only hand tools. No biggie.

As far as the hub, make fuck that hub. Id rather do a whole 5 lug swap at one time than fix the POS design honda decided was "fine" on the CB7

Comment

where is the rack and pinion leaking?

id replace the inner tierod and from there you can source the leak.

also recommend replacing the hub all in one motion, but firestone tends to give warranty so you can get it done and come back after you replace the parts.

Comment

yeah bro i replaced the rack yester day. it was a bitch no lift or air tools took me like 6.5 hours. (cause I had a few fuck ups and shit I needed fixed) I did it solo wish I had the air tools I could have easy cut that down to 2 hours. Any how bro Ill be getting my alignment done tomorrow in the morning.

i was trolled by my car last night and spent the latter part of the morning was filled with diagnostics and fixing said problem. Any how yeah bro I'd replace the bearing but meh I'd rather ride it out till I source enough cash for my five lug and 17 inchers with new rubber. Im sure Im looking at about 1300$ for the swap and wheels/tires.

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post

As far as the hub, make fuck that hub. Id rather do a whole 5 lug swap at one time than fix the POS design honda decided was "fine" on the CB7
            DITTO. convert it to ROH and live a very happy life. go pull a front knuckle from an acura cl, 6th gen accord, odyssey or even a 5g lude.
            frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
              DITTO. convert it to ROH and live a very happy life. go pull a front knuckle from an acura cl, 6th gen accord, odyssey or even a 5g lude.
              I broke down and bought the fucking hub. pos. I hope my troll cb7 is happy. fucking troll.

Comment

well i noticed that it wasnt actually the hub that I needed replaced but just needed to tighten the axle nut. HAHA! on my way to firestone for the alignment very soon.

Comment

I went waiting 3 hours for them to tell me they couldnt do it cause my steering wheel was crooked.

I loosened the rack and slipped the ujoint with the spline that connects to the column off and made the wheel as "straight" as I could. Drove it back today and waited another 2 hours before they looked at it. The tech informed me that my wheel may still be crooked after the alignment I thought I was going to get trolled again. (yeah cause I didnt have to "straighten the wheel out" ) more than anything I think the managers just enjoy trolling the employees and customers.

I really dont care if the wheel was crooked. The tech understood what I was getting at and went ahead and did the work even though the managers didnt approve he just didnt inform them about it. I got my before and after specs that'll Ill post as well. I got two jobs so Im dog tired.

Oh one more thing I think I kinda damaged that ujoint spline up. Any help and Ideas on what to do next?
                  Last edited by 8ball; 06-05-2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

must be a lazy ass tech. wtf does it matter if the steering wheel is crooked?

whole point of alignment is to straighten the wheel.

i understand you replaced the rack and i hope you changed out the bushings, otherwise it defeats the purpose of replacing it properly.

what i would personally do, yet time consuming is:

straighten the wheel, make sure its at center of full turns. so count the number of turns both ways lock the wheel with steering wheel lock, loosen the tie rod nuts (19mm)) and line the Wheels as close to straight by eye and do the full alignment to adjust toe to specs.(as an alignment tech) assuming you did the whole job properly.

those kind of jobs are flat rate, if they take more time to do a simple job they don't do it.

plus all they do is adjust toe not camber, its a basic alignment for what its worth.

i turn down plenty if customers if they missed something on their repairs, more work for nee in the end to keep redoing alignments
                    Last edited by mitsubishiv5; 06-09-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

UHm you mean those two bushing that basicly one clamp goes around ? andn the other clamp as well? If that is what you mean then no. I didnt know I was supposed to do that.
                      And the wheel is crooked cause when I slid the rack in I didnt do a good job of remembering that even tho the steering wheel was turned all the way left, that I still had to adjust the rack some to compensate for the fact that when I would hook it up just like that I could brake a clock spring. and I did. And the tie rods where just thrown on there. Any way id like to PM you about another issue. But please respond to this cause im really interested in replacing those bushings.

Comment

UHm you mean those two bushing that basicly one clamp goes around ? andn the other clamp as well? If that is what you mean then no. I didnt know I was supposed to do that.
                        And the wheel is crooked cause when I slid the rack in I didnt do a good job of remembering that even tho the steering wheel was turned all the way left, that I still had to adjust the rack some to compensate for the fact that when I would hook it up just like that I could brake a clock spring. and I did. And the tie rods where just thrown on there. Any way id like to PM you about another issue. But please respond to this cause im really interested in replacing those bushings.

Comment

Working...
                        X