Knocking/popping sound while braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocking/popping sound while braking

As the title says I am hearing a knocking/popping sound while braking, mainly from the driver side (DS).
    93 accord ex, just did a 5 lug swap hoping to correct the sound with all new balljoints, brake rotors, pads, replaced DS cv axle, and tightened everything up.

The sounds is still there, mainly under braking just before I come to a stop. When I take off it makes the sound one short time.

Taking any advice right now.
    -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
    -1993 Accord EX SOLD
    -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
    -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

How are the Radius rod bushings, as well as the upper/lower control arm bushings? How is the torque mount and rear Motor mount?

Does the steering wheel have the tendancy to pull to one side or the other while braking?

Does the steering pull to both sides on the highway?

How is the brake pedal height/Pressure? ABS? Auto/Manual?

Current Hypothesis: Engine mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Punkrampant View Post
      How are the Radius rod bushings, as well as the upper/lower control arm bushings? How is the torque mount and rear Motor mount?

Does the steering wheel have the tendancy to pull to one side or the other while braking?

Does the steering pull to both sides on the highway?

How is the brake pedal height/Pressure? ABS? Auto/Manual?

Current Hypothesis: Engine mounts.
      It's a manual, with ABS, all brake parts are new, system bled with great pressure. Steering doesn't pull at all, drives great in a straight line without issue. All bushings were replaced with the energy suspension poly set (including the radius/strut rod bushing).

The torque mount has been replaced and has an energy suspension insert. In beginning to lean towards the rear mount.
      -1993 Accord EX SOLD
      -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Rear motor mount isnt hard to do. The drivers side bolt that secures the mount onto the subframe has to be removed from underneath. Remove the fuel filter and maf sensor box, intake hose and carefully wiggle the mount out the passenger side.

I replaced the my auto rear mount without dropping the subframe or removing the IM this way. And that fucker is huge!

Comment

I know how to do it, just swapped the f22 in this car in August and an h22 in my black accord in September. Thanks for the help bro!
          -1993 Accord EX SOLD
          -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Ok, so last night I disconnected to front torque mount and rev'd the motor. No real sign of a bad rear mount, very minimal movement.

Today i'ma get under the car and check every nut&bolt.

This noise is driving me crazy.
            -1993 Accord EX SOLD
            -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

tightened everything up today, no change.
              -1993 Accord EX SOLD
              -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

I think I may have a similar issue. I was going to make a new thread until I found this one.

The clicking sound is very noticeable when I am just about to stop (at a light for instance). The faster I am going, the more frequent the clicking.. the slower I am going, the less frequent the clicking.. either way it is always constant.

But it's either unnoticeable or doesn't exist until the car is at least under 20-30mph.

I will take off the front wheels in the morning and inspect everything to see if I can come up with a solution.

Comment

I got your answer. I worked on someones car here and we ran into the same issue. We changed the axxis front pads, put new brembo rotors, new brake hardware and lubricated everything.

I noticed that the brake pad had a little play when it sat inside the caliper side to side. No biggie. When we would drive then brake there was a knock sound associated with speed as you pressed on the brakes, mainly slower speeds and not high speeds.

I found out that the way the rotor was "cut" wasnt correct. Usually after a cut on a lathe, the last process is to do a slow cut. Think about it this way, a reccord (vinyl) has music on it and tracks. The needle slowly goes towards the center therefore the end of the record. Same thing with brakes except it pushes outwards when its on the lathe. If the cut is to agressive, the groves will push the pads out and the caliper will push it back. Creating the noise.

After a few slightly harder stops the knocks went away because the pads were creating there own path into the rotor. You can remedy it a bit by sanding down the surface on both sides of the rotor a bit, or let them break in.

Prez, had this issue 2x. The first time was at another shop and they turned the rotor and the issue was gone, the second time was with me. The sound never came back, and everything is perfect.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Thanks for the response!

I'm using new rotors and pads, and the sound was there with the old setup.
                    -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                    -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Checked your abs system out and made sure things are working correctly?

Is it a rhythm type clicking, or a random noise here and there?
                      Originally posted by wed3k
                      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                        I got your answer. I worked on someones car here and we ran into the same issue. We changed the axxis front pads, put new brembo rotors, new brake hardware and lubricated everything.

I noticed that the brake pad had a little play when it sat inside the caliper side to side. No biggie. When we would drive then brake there was a knock sound associated with speed as you pressed on the brakes, mainly slower speeds and not high speeds.

I found out that the way the rotor was "cut" wasnt correct. Usually after a cut on a lathe, the last process is to do a slow cut. Think about it this way, a reccord (vinyl) has music on it and tracks. The needle slowly goes towards the center therefore the end of the record. Same thing with brakes except it pushes outwards when its on the lathe. If the cut is to agressive, the groves will push the pads out and the caliper will push it back. Creating the noise.

After a few slightly harder stops the knocks went away because the pads were creating there own path into the rotor. You can remedy it a bit by sanding down the surface on both sides of the rotor a bit, or let them break in.

Prez, had this issue 2x. The first time was at another shop and they turned the rotor and the issue was gone, the second time was with me. The sound never came back, and everything is perfect.
                        About to go outside to look at the front end. Will keep this in mind.

Comment

Sounds like pad shift to me, as described earlier in the thread, Pull the caliper off and give the pad a shake front to back while it's in the caliper bracket, if it has excessive play that's most likely the source of your noise.

Comment

It's a random noise, and the pad is tight.
                            -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                            -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

When I first noticed the sound on my car, my initial thought was CV axle because it sounds so damn close to the noise that a worn CV axle makes. But it doesn't click when I turn in either direction, only under braking.

If the brake pad is indeed loose in the bracket, would I be looking at replacing the pads or the bracket, or both?

Comment

Working...
                              X