need help with upper control ball joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with upper control ball joints

I have changed until now 3 sets of upper control arms with ball joints. Now my right front ball have play again. I have bad roads and my car is lowerd on D2 coilovers, just to not hit the inner bumper side with uper arm so its low. Now please i need help, wath kind of ball joints should i buy so they can last one year? Now i have threefive or 555 made in japan. they cost 100$ for one side, so about 200$ L and R. What to buy now and has anybody else had this kind of problem? Thanks guys.
    No Turbo, No Fun.

I would only buy ball joints from Honda, honestly. That's a part that can cause you to lose control if it fails, so the risk is far too great to use aftermarket ball joints.

If you have your camber corrected, I would get a hammer and bang out the fenderwell for additional clearance. Some people cut the metal, but I don't like that idea.

Also, D2 coilovers have a VERY stiff spring rate. That probably puts quite a strain on the rest of your suspension. If you don't race your car on a track or autocross course very often, I would suggest getting a more street-friendly setup, such as Tein Basic. You'll have a more comfortable ride, and it won't put as much strain on the rest of the suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      I would only buy ball joints from Honda, honestly. That's a part that can cause you to lose control if it fails, so the risk is far too great to use aftermarket ball joints.

If you have your camber corrected, I would get a hammer and bang out the fenderwell for additional clearance. Some people cut the metal, but I don't like that idea.

Also, D2 coilovers have a VERY stiff spring rate. That probably puts quite a strain on the rest of your suspension. If you don't race your car on a track or autocross course very often, I would suggest getting a more street-friendly setup, such as Tein Basic. You'll have a more comfortable ride, and it won't put as much strain on the rest of the suspension.
      Honda doesnt sell the upper control arm balljoint seperatly

Dont cut the metal. I did...weakened the arm and broke it

Id go for moog if OEM isnt there. They never failed me. I cant believe you spent that much on balljoints. I seen slammed cars and their balljoints are still decent after years. You must of got a crappy brand or something.
      Last edited by accordztech; 07-12-2011, 09:13 PM.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Moog may not be available in Croatia.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Moog may not be available in Croatia.
          Moog is not an option, i dont have it here.
          The price is for complete upper arm with ball joint and i had OEM Honda, they have last 5month.
          And my upper arm don't hitting inner fender, it's not that much low.
          I just need a realy good manufacturer of upper arms. Execept Moog, i can't buy that here. Any idea?
          No Turbo, No Fun.

Comment

OEM Honda only lasted 5 months? That doesn't seem right... most of the people here are still using their original arms/joints from 20 years ago!

I don't know of anything better than Honda.

One option you could try (if they would ship to you) is the adjustable upper control arms (equipped with Ingalls adjustable ball joints) from www.TASauto.com. They aren't cheap, and I'm sure shipping to Croatia would make them even more expensive... but they are very good. I have them on my own car.

Comment

yea 5 months on oem...thats crazy.

TAS autos arms are made by some specialty company that makes oem parts. When I called them 2 weeks ago they were out of stock and had to order it.

They offer a 1 year warrenty on them.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                yea 5 months on oem...thats crazy.

TAS autos arms are made by some specialty company that makes oem parts. When I called them 2 weeks ago they were out of stock and had to order it.

They offer a 1 year warrenty on them.
                Ok guys, thank you, i will try adjustable arms with ingalls.
                And for Honda arms i also can't belive but they are gone, but just on the right side because our roads are full of bumps but mostly on the right side so that will be the couse of ball joint gone bad. Thanks again for help.
                No Turbo, No Fun.

Comment

Originally posted by vjekoaccordRT View Post
                  Ok guys, thank you, i will try adjustable arms with ingalls.
                  And for Honda arms i also can't belive but they are gone, but just on the right side because our roads are full of bumps but mostly on the right side so that will be the couse of ball joint gone bad. Thanks again for help.
                  FYI the arms I was talking about was the standard replacment and not the ingalls one.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Those would be unlikely to be superior to OEM.

Comment

I pressed my ball joints out and pressed new ones in. Upper and lowers, and I read all day long on this site that you cannot do that.

Why?

Anyone have any ideas why that is the understanding?

I use moog, and they are fantastic joints. I wonder if maybe people think they cannot just replace the ball joint, since Honda doesnt sell them individually.

Thoughts?
                      Originally posted by wed3k
                      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Lowers are fine to replace the joint alone. The uppers, however are not great idea. It's not that you can't, as you obviously can... It's just an increased safety risk. The thin band of metal that holds the upper ball joint in place is put under great stress both when removing and installing a ball joint. That stress is added to the 20 years of stress that the arm has already been subject to. Will it fail if you just replace the joint? Maybe not... But it's not a risk I would want to take myself. The fact that Honda will not sell either the arm or joint separately strongly supports my reasoning, as Honda usually sells EVERYTHING separately, down to bolts and washers.

Comment

Honda sells many of their parts in assembles, as it is more cost effective for replacement. In the case of the upper control arms, it is a .2 hour job per side to replace the entire arm, where as it would be a 3 - 4 hour job to press in new joints.

About to order Moog adjustable uppers, anyone have experience with these units?
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                            Honda sells many of their parts in assembles, as it is more cost effective for replacement. In the case of the upper control arms, it is a .2 hour job per side to replace the entire arm, where as it would be a 3 - 4 hour job to press in new joints.

About to order Moog adjustable uppers, anyone have experience with these units?
                            Moog = awesome

Don't have adjustables, but I've got moog in everything I own that's been played with and I wouldn't go any other route.

Deev, you bring up an interesting point. I did notice how thin they were designed, but didn't think much of it and have had no problems.... I'm gonna call Honda and see if they have a better/more thorough answer.
                            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Local Honda shop had no idea why you couldnt press out the old joint. The service manager mentioned that adjustable ball joints are used regularly in the aftermarket, and pressing out old joints and replacing happens frequently-and that Honda doesnt sell them individually.

He even laughed at me and said,"How do you think they get in there in the first place?" But he did not offer any reason as to why you shouldn't DIY this.

SO I would imagine if you know what you are doing, it should be OK. But, given the consequences of doing it wrong, maybe thats why they dont sell them that way.

****Please dont just read this and then think you can do it. Dont risk your life. I have been working on/modifying cars for almost 20 years, Im experienced. I would know what it looks like if its not correct, and I have a hydraulic ball joint press. Dont just half ass this with a couple sockets and a vice. If you dont have the right tools, dont even think about it.

^^^^^^Disclaimer

Any other thoughts? You guys wanna call your local shop and see what they tell you, maybe we can get a real answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X