Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

issue with installed progressive rear sway bar, and changing rear struts/springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

issue with installed progressive rear sway bar, and changing rear struts/springs

a friend of mine says he needs to remove the entire bar in order to tinker with his struts and springs. Is this correct, or is the bar possibly not installed correctly?

further helpful info: his car is a 92 lx sedan, with rear disk brake swap; in his disc brake swap he swapped over the part that an ex sway bar end links would connect to, (not a whole rear crossmember). we attached the endlinks of the pogreesive rear sway to those locations. (i personally do not know what is completely neccesary for a rear disc brake swap, perhaps everytihing i pointed out is completely necessary, im just trying to be thorough with my information)

he currently is constantly changing his strut spring combo, which is why he's considering not putting the bar back on for a while. i am at work and he notified me that he had to remove the whole bar, i thought he could just take off the endlinks, but he said it did not work, that the bar is getting in the way of pushing down on the brake to get the suspension in/out.

i have read alot about this bar, and the only negative i can recal reading about was that sometimes people have issues with exhaust. this would be the first i have heard of this issue.

thanks for any replies
    KB7
    Last edited by KB7; 05-28-2011, 06:37 AM.
    _

i know with only 12 views, probably 3-5 of them by my own self i should not expect too much replies, but for those who did look, do those of you with the bar not have an issue swapping suspension stuff after their installation of the bar? or is there a way i can further clarify...

thanks once again
    _

Comment

At full suspension droop the Progress rear sway will contact the bottom of the shock bodies and actually prevent the suspension from completely relaxing....by about 2". So your friend IS correct, the bar pretty much has to be removed to change shocks. Just removing the end links doesn't really help at all. It's really not an issue for most because we install our suspension and leave it alone for years but for somebody doing alot of changing around I'm sure it would get annoying.

He may want to get the ST rear sway but realize it will rub the exhaust more than the Progress. BTW, the Progress has no issues with hitting the exhaust, it's the ST that has those issues.
      My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Thanks for confirming it. that kind of sucks. but it still is a pretty cool bar.

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
        He may want to get the ST rear sway but realize it will rub the exhaust more than the Progress. BTW, the Progress has no issues with hitting the exhaust, it's the ST that has those issues.
        LOL, i was shocked that the bar had no problem with his exhaust, because everyone else said it would.

thanks for the reply.
        _

Comment

Working...
        X