EXCESSIVE tire wear.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXCESSIVE tire wear.....

Ok.....so 6 weeks ago, 4 new tires 195/45/15 stretched a bit onto some 8" rims. The guy that mounted them didnt balance them but they had been balanced with the prior tires that were still new so i had hopes that all might be well (even though I knew better)..... FAIL

Anyway......toe was out bad in the front, a little in the rear, had that corrected FINALLY last week as tires were going QUICK. A week later and I believe Im still seeing the tires just fading away...... I mean at this point they need to be replaced and they are ONLY 6 weeks old!

Convinced my wife to let me buy 2 new ones for the front and the rears are "ok" for a lil bit longer. I will have new tires mounted and BALANCED and have the rears balanced as well.

My concern is how fast im going through tires

No camber correction (staying as far from Mexi-flush) as I can, toe is fixed and I think im running 40psi in the tires, (rated 40-45 if I remember right). Ive had LOTS and LOTS of cars and trucks, slammed with NO alignment and have never in my life gone through tires like this. I LOVE the low offset look but if this keeps up i may have to just go with a normal wheel\tire setup and get everything aligned....

based on my descriptions.....anything yall can think of that is causing the wear? I will mention that every third week i drive 1000 miles (200 miles per day) for work but even that should not kill the tires that fast. Matter of fact I was doing it every other week in my GSR and it was lower than the CB7 on 15x7" wheels (normal offset and not stretched) with no alignment correction.

I am HOPING that the tires not being balanced all this time along with the toe being out have been the major factors but as mentioned, I believe i seen NOTICALBLE wear in just the past week (since having the toe corrected).

Anyway.....sorry so long and thanks in advance!

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

brand of tire makes a difference. chaper tires are harder rubber and tend to wear slower.

it was indefinitely your toe wearing them. my buddy has been riding around with perfect toe and ~3* + of camber on all four wheels and has barely made it past 50% in the past year.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
      brand of tire makes a difference. chaper tires are harder rubber and tend to wear slower.

it was indefinitely your toe wearing them. my buddy has been riding around with perfect toe and ~3* + of camber on all four wheels and has barely made it past 50% in the past year.
      Not too many companies make a 195/45/15 from what I understand, tires are Sonar with a 340 treadwear rating (I looked for something in the mid 300 range). Well Im gonna flip the rears and have them balanced, get new tires for the front and see how it goes. I really dont wanna get rid of the wheels! Thanks for the quick reply!

Bought from Darkcloud

Comment

Awwwww man I had that exact same problem! But only on my front tires. It didnt matter if they where gummies or plastics! They would wear out bald in bout 8k miles or soo ...I noticed the tread looked like their was stepping a lil. I took it in for an alignment about 1 month ago, after bout 6 different pairs! The front had an extreme TOE in! Since then the tread is all even now and its not killing my tires by all that drag and friction, fixed my problem. Hope it helps and you get it worked out!

MRT H22A - 302whp - N2O
        MRT F22B - 643whp - 529tq @ 30psi
        11.33 @ 131mph @ 27psi

Comment

no reason to get rid of the wheels.

but your car is way too high. needs 6-8" more low lol.

get aligned and your whole life will improve.

Comment

i think part of the issue is the streached tires. go little wider. make sure your toe is straight and you should be okk

Comment

Have you considered raising it up a bit to eliminate the camber when your just commuting. I noticed tire wear already, but I was running soft tires on -8* in the front. So I have it raised so I'm only at around -3.

I love commuting hard as fuck to work, but sometimes you gotta save the low for special occasions.

Comment

maybe the guy that lined your car up wasn't all that good. who knows though.

i know of a guy on my side of town that does awesome alignments and corner balancing. let me know if you want to check it out and i'll get you info. later.
                Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by Dobermann View Post
                  Have you considered raising it up a bit to eliminate the camber when your just commuting. I noticed tire wear already, but I was running soft tires on -8* in the front. So I have it raised so I'm only at around -3.

I love commuting hard as fuck to work, but sometimes you gotta save the low for special occasions.
                  unacceptable. save the low for nothing. go hard or dont go.

Comment

I am having this same issue right now 3 pairs of brand new dunlops 215/35/18 all gone through in 2 months can not figure out whats going on at all had it aligned twice very confused here now i'm out of money and showing cords on my tires again and have no money for a 4th pair being 2 kids and 19 lol hope this gets resolved so I can try to do whatever you do.

Comment

Get it aligned. Go somewhere that deals with lowered cars. Also make sure everything in the front end is good. If some hack is alighning your car and. You have worn out tie rods (for example). The alighnment might come into spec. But since the joins are worn once the car is moved the adjustments get wacked out.

Also remember when you drive the wheels have a tendancy to toe out, just natually from force. So you'll want an toe alignment as close to -0.01deg for best tire life.

My car is lowed about 3.5-4" and I have no camber correction. I have about 10k on my tires and wear is about the same as it was at stock hight (my driving habits contribute to the tirewear mainly lol)

So tl;dr. Get a good alignment.
                      wat?

Comment

Originally posted by NWaccord View Post
                        Awwwww man I had that exact same problem! But only on my front tires. It didnt matter if they where gummies or plastics! They would wear out bald in bout 8k miles or soo ...I noticed the tread looked like their was stepping a lil. I took it in for an alignment about 1 month ago, after bout 6 different pairs! The front had an extreme TOE in! Since then the tread is all even now and its not killing my tires by all that drag and friction, fixed my problem. Hope it helps and you get it worked out!
                        Thanks, thats what Im HOPING, bought a tire tread depth gauge and will be keeping an eye on my next set of tires.

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
                        no reason to get rid of the wheels.

but your car is way too high. needs 6-8" more low lol.

get aligned and your whole life will improve.
                        Trust me, I would LOVE to slam it out more but when I was in inch lower up front for a car show in FL last month my header flex pipe dragged the ground....I honestly done see how some of yall get so dumped but then i am running a 45 series tire on a 15" wheel

Originally posted by oneoffaccord View Post
                        i think part of the issue is the streached tires. go little wider. make sure your toe is straight and you should be okk
                        I was HOPING to stick with a 45 for sideway height, one of the things I hate about 15" wheels is the tall 50 series tires but.....I may move to a 195/50...they just dont really maintain the stretch look either, which is part of what I am wanting to maintain.

Originally posted by Dobermann View Post

I wont do that, I may get a set of wheels to run while commuting, stock 15" wheels and a 195/50 tire, will look good but not have the low offset and stretch.....but will certainly save my tires lol
                        Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                        maybe the guy that lined your car up wasn't all that good. who knows though.

i know of a guy on my side of town that does awesome alignments and corner balancing. let me know if you want to check it out and i'll get you info. later.
                        We have 2 shops locally that can align a slammed out car, drive on pits and high end equipment. The place I went to has a $70,000 tire mounting machine that doesnt touch the rim when mounting a tire.....the place is well known for good work and actually does all the alignement work for a body shop across the street that specializes in Mercedes, BMW, etc...so i am pretty confident about the shops work and lots of others are as well. I still may hit you up though

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                        Get it aligned. Go somewhere that deals with lowered cars. Also make sure everything in the front end is good. If some hack is alighning your car and. You have worn out tie rods (for example). The alighnment might come into spec. But since the joins are worn once the car is moved the adjustments get wacked out.

Also remember when you drive the wheels have a tendancy to toe out, just natually from force. So you'll want an toe alignment as close to -0.01deg for best tire life.

My car is lowed about 3.5-4" and I have no camber correction. I have about 10k on my tires and wear is about the same as it was at stock hight (my driving habits contribute to the tirewear mainly lol)

So tl;dr. Get a good alignment.
                        They do a lot of lowered cars and they like to point out things that need to be fixed so HOPEFULLY they would have mentioned something to me. I will take it and have them double check the front when I put new tires on next week and see how that goes.

My last car was a 95 GSR, dumped on 15x7" wheels, 38 offset or so and a 195/15.... drove it every other week 1000 miles for work and 6 months of that didnt see any tires damage and it wasnt even aligned after the drop.....and Ive done many drops in the past with no alignment as well.

Sorry for slow reply, been moving the past few days.....I hate moving! lol

Bought from Darkcloud

Comment

Working...
                        X