Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Springs vs Coilovers on a wagon. Imput please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Springs vs Coilovers on a wagon. Imput please!

ok hear is my problem. i just bought a 91 ex shag wag!! woohoo! lol. now i want to lower it. i have read pretty much every post on this forum and others about lowering. i have lowered all of my cars by spring or slip on coilover. i wanted to go coilover because i have some wheels i wanna use and they have a lower offset wheels i wanna run. (16x8 +11 i believe? if anyone cares) my two options ive come down too

used d2 coilovers at a fair price from a fellow member on here
    pros:
    full height adjustability
    dampner adjustability
    cons:
    last time i had coilovers they rode like shit. (kyb agx with GC sleeves)

VS

new koni yellows with sprint extreme springs
    pros:
    approx 3" drop yeah buddy!
    better ride then coilovers
    dampner adjustablitiy
    cons:
    wagons have a PHAT ass. sagging is feared. =[
    blown struts fast because of such agressive drop

Conclusion:
    coilovers would be sweet. specially for the price
    but ive had my fair share of slammed cars that ride like piss. this will be a dd and even if i have to sacrifice a little stance for ride comfort then im all ears.
    also. i have no clue how the koni yellows work with the different perches? anyone got pics or can explain this better? i was thinking maybe i could use the perches to counter act sagging springs with the wagons big butt. lol

im all ears so lets hear what you guys got to say!!! (also anyone that has experiance with both or either of the setups please chip in and let me know what you thought of the ride!!!)

just another thought... which would be better for towing? not alot. but i like the idea of throwing on a small hitch and building a little trailer out of alum. something small enough that i doesnt way a ton but big enough to bring home a motor or 2.

Comment

I'm riding on skunk2 coilover sleeves and Tokiko Illuminas and the ride is great.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
      JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

i have h&r lowering springs they ride great and they dont sage they are a year old they ride way bater then coilovers and still nice and low

Comment

Function and form and call it a day...

Comment

i know they is way to many options and choice. but im specifically looking at the 2 setups i found only. please just imput on the d2 coilovers, koni yellow, and or sprint extreme 3" drop springs
            thanks for the imput so far tho

Comment

Originally posted by blazedealh91 View Post
              i have h&r lowering springs they ride great and they dont sage they are a year old they ride way bater then coilovers and still nice and low
              i know alot of people like h&r s.
              maybe its just me but it looks like the back is sagging to me in your sig. could be just you have stuff in the trunk but just saying.

Comment

the camber kit made the front have more of a gap idk why

Comment

oh ok i see

Comment

does anyone have more info on how the koni yellows perches work???

Comment

the perch itself can be fliped upside down, or right side up
                      that right there is about an inch of adjustability. then you have a retaining clip that can be moved from one of two places, which is half an inch apart

the perch, in whichever direction you choose, sits on top of the retaining clip. so adjuability between an inch and a half is possible in about half inch variants of choice. which comes to about .75 inches max in each direction, (half of 1.5 inches).

so if you deem your 3 inches of drop in the back using sprint extremes, is too low, you will be able to raise the car back up by .75 inches, and then when you want the SHOW feature, you can further drop the wagon to a full 3.75 inches, (3 inch drop plus .75 inches).

i have been up for 24 hours straight now with a 3 hour trip to the junkyard in 92 degree san antonio weather mixed in there, i am trying to make this as understandable as i can, because i have no pictures. i imagine if there is any confusion its got to involve the retaining clip, if so just think of it like this, the perches can just move up and down and extra .5 inches, through magic
                      Last edited by KB7; 05-28-2011, 09:17 AM.
                      _

Comment

Originally posted by KB7Acoord View Post
                        the perch itself can be fliped upside down, or right side up
                        that right there is about an inch of adjustability. then you have a retaining clip that can be moved from one of two places, which is half an inch apart

the perch, in whichever direction you choose, sits on top of the retaining clip. so adjuability between an inch and a half is possible in about half inch variants of choice. which comes to about .75 inches max in each direction, (half of 1.5 inches).

so if you deem your 3 inches of drop in the back using sprint extremes, is too low, you will be able to raise the car back up by .75 inches, and then when you want the SHOW feature, you can further drop the wagon to a full 3.75 inches, (3 inch drop plus .75 inches).

i have been up for 24 hours straight now with a 3 hour trip to the junkyard in 92 degree san antonio weather mixed in there, i am trying to make this as understandable as i can, because i have no pictures. i imagine if there is any confusion its got to involve the retaining clip, if so just think of it like this, the perches can just move up and down and extra .5 inches, through magic
                        He's right, if you go the koni yellow + springs route, jsut put the front on the bottom perch and the rear on the top perch to combat the wagon's extra rear weight.
                        There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X