steering wheel shake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering wheel shake

So I replaced my front rotors, brake pads, did my suspension front n rear upper control arms, koni shocks, skunk 2 lowering springs, tie rods, new axles, new tires(balanced), alingment..I want to know why when I brake kinda hard from like 60mph my steerin wheel shakes.. is it my rack and pinion? Has this happen to anyone? Thanks

what about the rear brakes? Do you have rear discs?

MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=164408

And on the eight day God created Honda!

Comment

usually when you this happens it means your rotors are warped. one of the reason they warp is from over torquing your lug nuts.
      "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

Its a dx, rears r drum. How can they b warped if I just changed them?

Comment

Do a full suspension inspection.
          wat?

Comment

Originally posted by drew12000 View Post
            usually when you this happens it means your rotors are warped. one of the reason they warp is from over torquing your lug nuts.
            Ive not heard this before how true is this?

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
            UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
            NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Originally posted by marcusv8thunder View Post
              Ive not heard this before how true is this?
              Yeah its a common thing when at high speed and you feel the wheel the or even the car jerking to a halt while braking.

Also a good thing to do an all around suspension check as mentioned above.

tierods (inner/outer)
              ball joints
              control arms
              shocks
              rack and pinion
              etc..

Check Out My Work In Progess . . . . .

Comment

Wut bout bent rims? I'm really thinkin its my rack n pinion

Comment

Wow that must take some MAJOR torque to warp a rotor at the lug nut???? Def sounds like something brake related since its ONLY when your braking. Take it to Midas and they should be able to look at the rotors on the car, the machine that turns the rotors does so on the car so they should be able to check and let you know with a minimal cost to you.

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

How long have your rotors/pads been on? It can take a little while to wear-in new pads and rotors. If you hammered on them from brand new, you may HAVE warped a new rotor especially if they're standard NAPA or AZ replacements.
                    Next, No fluid leaks or CV grease on the rotors? Check for grease especially if you have drilled or slotted rotors, as the brakes heat up, the grease runs out of the slot/holes in that area and you'll have what drives like a warped rotor. You should clean the rotors well before installing anyway as they're usually coated with some sticky/greasy crap (causaline?sp) to prevent rust while in storage. 000 Steel wool and brake clean work great to remove any grease/glaze.
                    Last edited by 9threeEX; 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM.
                    93 EX Arcadia Coupe, 5spd, f22a6, strut bars, 2"drop, baer brakes, ingalls camber kit, tokicos w/ eibach, K&N, 205s / 16s

Comment

You can not warp your rotors from over torquing lug nuts. Your rotors warp from age and going through high water. The high water and the heat from braking cause warping

Comment

I call bs on this.
                        There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                          I call bs on this.
                          Especially cuz the HUB is over the ROTOR.

Comment

You can easily warp your rotors, even new ones. It's happened to me. When you get new ones you should have them turned (mildly) while on your car. And you should also do this instead of buying new ones.

Also, it is a known fact you can warp them from over tightening lug nuts, although I'm not sure about this happening on CB's.

Here, don't take my word for it http://newcarbuyingguide.com/index.p...318/event=view

Or you can read this article which says there's "no such thing as warped rotors" http://www.examiner.com/auto-in-orla...d-brake-rotors

Anyway you look at it though, it is the rotors that cause your steering wheel to shimmy when braking.
                            Last edited by 4CYLPOWER92; 06-13-2011, 12:36 AM.

My swap thread
                            Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Just like eveyone has been saying, its mot likely warped rotors. If i where you the first thing i would try is to have the rotors turned and while you are doing this check the front end. This can be done by jacking up the front end so the tires are off the ground and shake the tires side to side, this checks the inner and outer tie rods, next shake the tire up and down this checks the hub bearing, and finaly put a pry bar under the tire and push up and down if the is slop here then you have bad ball joints. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X