Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KYB GR2 shocks & coilovers?

Hey,

I did a little searching but nothing pertained to this specific Q. I already have KYB GR2 shocks with a eibach 2" lowering spring. Would ya'll say its alright to use these shocks with coilovers (shocks are 1 year old). If yes, can someone recommend a brand and website? (no ebay sites plz).

I'm either going to with a 215/50/17 tire (instead of 205/40/17) or switch to coilovers to fix the gap issue. Right now I'm thinking coilovers.

thanks,
    Raf99
    Last edited by Raf99; 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM.

i have them on the front only, i have some option racing coilovers, just sleevs and springs, and with those GR-2, they fell pretty smooth!!

i'd say for about 1 year of usage, it woulden't be that bad....

Comment

gr-2s are stock replacment shocks...im surprized ur shocks arnt blown after 1 year of use lowered.......

my new turbo build

Comment

Coilover sleeves are junk. The spring rates are ridiculously high for what they are (I've seen some in the 600 pound range).

Check out more info here

If you're going through the hassle of taking your suspension apart, either do it for a full coilover system or just replace your struts with a proper piece.

A super high spring rate won't ride well on the highway.

Comment

thanks. also found my answer in the Lowering FAQ 101 read. Obviously its better to swap for a full coilover system. cheers

Comment

The setup everyone talks about it seems are ground control springs with some high end struts of some sort, but $300 for some springs seems sort of overkill to me. Personally I'm going to be rocking megan racing coils and sleeves on koni orange struts because I don't give a damn about a nice ride. Another setup I've seen online is skunk2 coilovers (sleeves, coils and struts) sold as a package on ebay for around $600. As far as most bang for your buck, that may be it
            Being normal is probably the lamest thing you can try to be

Comment

[edit] - I am running 2" Eibach lowering springs already. I just wanted a lower stance.

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
                gr-2s are stock replacment shocks...im surprized ur shocks arnt blown after 1 year of use lowered.......
                Depends on how many potholes and the roads you drive on. I have the exact same setup. GR2s and Eibach Sportlines. They used to be on my old 92 I crashed and even rolled over 3x on! GR2s are still good till this day and got transferred to my 93. No sagging and ride is smooth! I don't carry people in my car usually and I guess that helps with the stress

I really want full coilovers but at this moment I don't see any real benefit in them unless I was seriously going to take my car in for some true "Spoon type track suspension tuning" that will actually help it be fast in corners etc. It's kinda pointless in my opinion to buy a 500+ coilovers to achieve a dropped look when no real fine tuning is done but then again 500+ full coils are definitely better than some ground controls etc. Most people buy full coils just for bragging rights and are too lazy to change the ride height after installation unless they are picture whores or take their car to shows and then drop their car to a ridiculous ride height.

I agree Coils like skunk2 etc. just don't ride as good as quality regular drop springs.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
                JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
                1994 Prelude V-Tec
                1999 CL 3.0
                2000 Prelude
                2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
                1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
                1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
                1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  [edit] - I am running 2" Eibach lowering springs already. I just wanted a lower stance.
                  If you want a lower stance you could get some entry level full coilovers like Function, D2, Megan etc. Those can be had under 800ish if you shop around.

If you want just regular adjustable coils... i wouldn't do anything but Ground Control or Skunk2. If I were you I would do Ground Controls because they are made with Eibach Springs. You can even get custom spring rates tailored to your ride if you do a call in order.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
                  JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
                  1994 Prelude V-Tec
                  1999 CL 3.0
                  2000 Prelude
                  2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
                  1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
                  1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
                  1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

Originally posted by Warudakumi View Post
                    If you want a lower stance you could get some entry level full coilovers like Function, D2, Megan etc. Those can be had under 800ish if you shop around.

If you want just regular adjustable coils... i wouldn't do anything but Ground Control or Skunk2. If I were you I would do Ground Controls because they are made with Eibach Springs. You can even get custom spring rates tailored to your ride if you do a call in order.
                    Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                    X