Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temporary suspension install. Need feedback on options listed inside....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary suspension install. Need feedback on options listed inside....

I need to buy buy a temporary suspension set-up until I purchase my AMR's in about August or so (I have other major responsibilities that are more important).

Anyway, my suspension is shot, I mean like pine box shot. I can't hit a a small pebble in the road without the back flopping around like a fish. Safety is a major concern right now. I'm not going all out, attributable to saving as I will be hashing out some majors USD's to get my AMR's (they will be gotten).

I looking to get some springs that rides very comfortably, and offer a moderate-slightly aggressive performance upgrade in the corners.

My options are either Neuspeed Sports, Eibach Pro Kit, or Tein H-Techs. I'm only looking for a 1.25"-1.50" drop for now. I also plan on pairing the springs with either Koni Yellows or Bilsteins. I'm a city man living in Philadelphia. Potholes EVERYWHERE!

Advice is needed. These will probably be ordered in the next day, two, at the most three.

Which combo will offer the best "what I'm looking for" factor that's mentioned above?
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

If it were me and you're planning on getting AMR's eventually...

Your stock springs are probably fine, so you might as well just buy some autozone stock replacement shocks and put them on your stock springs for now. That will save you the most money while putting the suspension back to a safe condition until you get the AMRs. Good choice on AMR by the way, they're far better than the D2, F&F, Ksport, Tein crap most people buy.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
      If it were me and you're planning on getting AMR's eventually...

Your stock springs are probably fine, so you might as well just buy some autozone stock replacement shocks and put them on your stock springs for now. That will save you the most money while putting the suspension back to a safe condition until you get the AMRs. Good choice on AMR by the way, they're far better than the D2, F&F, Ksport, Tein crap most people buy.
      That's a really good idea that I initially considered. However, summer is approaching and I'm sure I would push my car at night when the conditions are safe. I have to be responsible and wait 'til about August or so to shell out the money for the AMR's. My other priorities are hurting my pride right now. I may just consider your idea to save money. That's actually a really smart suggestion.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
        That's a really good idea that I initially considered. However, summer is approaching and I'm sure I would push my car at night when the conditions are safe. I have to be responsible and wait 'til about August or so to shell out the money for the AMR's. My other priorities are hurting my pride right now. I may just consider your idea to save money. That's actually a really smart suggestion.
        If you want to be able to push the car more, a better modification right now would be better tires. You can still run those same tires before and after the AMR's and your tire is your direct link with the ground and has a greater effect on handling over anything else. If you have crap tires, don't bother with a good suspension. If you absolutely have to have better handling than what you have right now, and are concerned about the safety of the current suspension, buying stock replacement shocks and very good tires is going to be the most cost effective solution for you until you buy the AMR's.

Comment

If you want to be able to push the car more, a better modification right now would be better tires. You can still run those same tires before and after the AMR's and your tire is your direct link with the ground and has a greater effect on handling over anything else. If you have crap tires, don't bother with a good suspension. If you absolutely have to have better handling than what you have right now, and are concerned about the safety of the current suspension, buying stock replacement shocks and very good tires is going to be the most cost effective solution for you until you buy the AMR's.
          I just a set of 4 fresh Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position tires onto my stock alloys. I'm still evaluating them, but so far they are a go .

I was also considering picking up a set of F&F Type I's, keep them in good condition, and then sell them when I purchase my AMR's. I figure if I buy them for $600 or so, use them for a few months taking good care of them, I can maybe sell them for $400 or so.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
            I just a set of 4 fresh Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position tires onto my stock alloys. I'm still evaluating them, but so far they are a go .

I was also considering picking up a set of F&F Type I's, keep them in good condition, and then sell them when I purchase my AMR's. I figure if I buy them for $600 or so, use them for a few months taking good care of them, I can maybe sell them for $400 or so.
            Still wouldn't do it. No matter what suspension you buy before the AMR's you're ultimately going to sell it...so you'll be losing money no matter what, so why not minimize that loss by getting the cheapest you can? (stock replacement)

Again if you have an ultimate plan for your spring & shock combo (AMR), then you should get the cheapest solution until that point. Otherwise if you absolutely want better handling in the mean time, buy something that can be beneficial on the car pre and post AMR's...something that won't get replaced, like poly bushings (or even better, sphericals), or progress sway bar, strut tower bars, traction bar, upgrade your brakes, etc.

Also, I know this is more expensive, but don't forget that the diff has nearly as large of an effect on the handling of a car as the shocks and springs....so for a fwd, you need a good non-clutch-pack LSD.

Comment

Still wouldn't do it. No matter what suspension you buy before the AMR's you're ultimately going to sell it...so you'll be losing money no matter what, so why not minimize that loss by getting the cheapest you can? (stock replacement)

Again if you have an ultimate plan for your spring & shock combo (AMR), then you should get the cheapest solution until that point. Otherwise if you absolutely want better handling in the mean time, buy something that can be beneficial on the car pre and post AMR's...something that won't get replaced, like poly bushings (or even better, sphericals), or progress sway bar, strut tower bars, traction bar, upgrade your brakes, etc.

Also, I know this is more expensive, but don't forget that the diff has nearly as large of an effect on the handling of a car as the shocks and springs....so for a fwd, you need a good non-clutch-pack LSD.
              I agree. However, the H that I am planning to run has an M2B4 trans attached to it. I looked at Autozone Gabriel shocks, and they total out to about 275-300 or so. Even if did all of the labor myself, I doubt if I could resell those down the line. The thing is, i have no time to replace them myself, as I am busy 8 days a week. This means that i have to have a shop do it for me. More money. Some coil-overs like F&F type 1's can be slapped on in a bout two hours or so.

I have to figure this out soon.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Look into Koni STR.t shocks. They are the best bang for the buck shock you're going to find for the CB7 and might not cost anymore than the Gabriel's depending on where you buy from...

Comment

Look into Koni STR.t shocks. They are the best bang for the buck shock you're going to find for the CB7 and might not cost anymore than the Gabriel's depending on where you buy from...
                  I was looking at review earlier about shocks, but didn't see too many regarding the STR.t shocks.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

mndud07,

Thanks for all of your help in this matter. I really appreciated it. After researching and debating, I'm looking for comfort on my temporary suspension, as well as easy maintenance, quality, and ease of installation/removal/adjustments. I decided to go with Tein Basics, and they should be on the car in a few weeks (hopefully sometime this July). I'll do a review of them once on the car.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

So, after being enlightened by every distributor that I contacted about them being out of the Tein Basics, I just said **** it. I ordered a set of F&F Type Ones from weaksauce.com (Weksos) to hold me over. Hopefully they aren't too harsh. We'll see!

Of course an extensive review will be done riding around with track inspired coilovers on Philadelphia streets.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                      X