Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

99 CL knuckle =?= 95-98 Odyssey knuckle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just did my 5 lug conversion and i used 2001 accord v6 front knuckles and had few people from local junkyards and few member on other honda sites say that the 5 lug TL is the same as the 6th gen accord, i did not use it because i did not want to take the chance but i did take it to autozone and they let me test fit a cb axle on it and it worked....hope that helps

Originally posted by Uncle Willey
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Okay, so I can re-use my calipers, but I need to pick brackets according to the rotors... So if I use the 97-01 prelude rotors, I need that bracket... Or whichever one it interchanges with, I can't remember the number.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
        So explain to me how, when I lookup a 96 Ody front knuckle, it interchanges with a 90-97 accord front knuckle and 97-99 CL knuckle. The bare knuckle is the same, just the hubs and brakes are different.
        This is true- but a bare spindle is different than a whole spindle with brakes, hubs and calipers on it. If I misread I apologize- I KNOW that the spindle bare is the same part- I have done it that way too.... But replacing hubs, bearings, rotors etc is way more costly than say buying a used front COMPLETE spindle as he stated he found from a 99 cl 3.0. Which is what he was stating in the first place that he was looking to buy. I was simply answering and replying to that portion of the statement. Again was NOT trying to be a jerk but the complete spindles NOT BARE..... are COMPLETELY different.

99cl 3.0 is 4x114.3 and is 11.1" front brakes and yes you can use your wagon calipers on them and yes they are ROH.... I have them on my wagon.

In response to jabercb7- that was my post that shows the v6 accord stuff being used along with a crv rear drum outter for rear 5 lug drum set up....and v6 accord fronts-

Sarthos- the oddy front stuff is the EASIEST to use but sometimes not as easy to locate. Hence the reason I made my post on the newer v6 accord/ tl stuff for front spindle swaps and in using rear drums converted to 5 lug. The swap is pretty straight forward using 98+ v6 accord stuff just make sure you get the right front spindles from the 98 v6 or 99tl v63.2 NOT THE CL 3.0 if you want the 5 lug.
        Last edited by da9b16; 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM.
        WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

Comment

Well there are several places claiming to have the Odyssey spindles. Unfortunately I have to check them all out before knowing if they have the hubs. If they do they'll work great.

I'd just get new rotors and pads anyway though, I don't particularly like the idea of using salvaged brake pads or rotors. Brembo >> junkyard

Comment

i-4 ex 98

I got 4 lug spindles off of a 98ex 4 cylinder, you think they will work for a conversion to roh.

Comment

No, the inner spline diameter inside the hub is too small.

There is a lot of incomplete or misinformation in this thread.

Lee (da9b16) is more or less correct with a few discrepancies.

Different knuckles:
              1) 1990-1993 Accord(coupe/sedan) - smaller bearing, 4-lug, HOR, 10.2" rotor
              2) 1991-1993 Accord(wagon) - same with larger 11.1" rotor
              3) 1994-1997 Accord(coupe/sedan w/4-cylinder) - smaller bearing, 4-lug, HOR, 10.2" rotor (The only difference from the Accord sedan/coupe is the exposed upper ball joint.)
              4) 1994-1997 Accord(wagon) - smaller bearing, 4-lug, HOR, 11.1" rotor (Again, the only real difference between the CB9 wagon knuckle is the exposed upper ball joint.)
              5) 1995-1997 Accord V6 - larger bearing, 4-lug, HOR, 11.1" rotor (The only real difference from #4 is the larger bearing. Minus the 5-lug hub this is identical to the Odyssey knuckle.)
              6) 1997 Acura 2.2CL - identical in every way to #3
              7) 1997 Acura 3.0CL - identical in every way to #5
              8) 1998-1999 Acura 2.3CL - identical to #3 other than using a ROH setup
              9) 1998-1999 Acura 3.0CL - identical to #5 other than using a ROH setup
              10) 1995-1998 Odyssey (also 1996-1999 Isuzu Oasis) - same large-bearing knuckle but uses a 5-lug ROH design
              11) 2000-2002 Accord V6 - effectively the same exact thing as #9 but not identical because the bearing design is different(1998-1999 use a smaller diameter axle shaft)
              12) 2001-2003 Acura TL/CL - identical in every way to #10
              13) 1992-1994 Acura Vigor - identical in every way to #2
              14) 1996-1998 Acura 2.5TL - identical in every way to #5

Either way, all of these will swap over to a CB7/9 as complete assemblies and will achieve a variety of things for you. You can have larger rotors, ROH or 5-lug. Heck you can even just upgrade to the CE V6 knuckles only to put your 10.2" rotor back on to get a larger bearing. Whatever you feel like.
              Last edited by Jarrett; 02-10-2013, 05:51 PM.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Jarrett

Just to clarify, I got a complete spindle/hub/caliper assembly from the junkyard, I can install the new CL hubs (pressed in the accord/CL bearing), the accord lower ball joint, use the Accord caliper bracket and calipers with the CL rotors, all mounted to the CL spindle and bolt it up to my accord without any camber or caster issues? In other words this setup....

98 CL spindle
                98 CL Hub
                98 CL rotors
                92 Accord Wheel bearing
                92 Accord lower ball joint
                92 Accord calipers and bracket
                92 Accord brake pads

Reason I want to clarify this is because I have the CL spindles stripped and if they are the same as the Accords then I want to rebuild them with the parts I have so when I pull my accord setup off, I can just bolt the new setup rite on and take the car for a alignment. Thanx...

Comment

02 TL complete spindle...........done
                  http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by IBCNYA View Post
                    Jarrett

Just to clarify, I got a complete spindle/hub/caliper assembly from the junkyard, I can install the new CL hubs (pressed in the accord/CL bearing), the accord lower ball joint, use the Accord caliper bracket and calipers with the CL rotors, all mounted to the CL spindle and bolt it up to my accord without any camber or caster issues? In other words this setup....

98 CL spindle
                    98 CL Hub
                    98 CL rotors
                    92 Accord Wheel bearing
                    92 Accord lower ball joint
                    92 Accord calipers and bracket
                    92 Accord brake pads

Reason I want to clarify this is because I have the CL spindles stripped and if they are the same as the Accords then I want to rebuild them with the parts I have so when I pull my accord setup off, I can just bolt the new setup rite on and take the car for a alignment. Thanx...
                    2.3CL or 3.0CL? this is part of the problem with misinformation or confusion. No one ever specifies anything.

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                    02 TL complete spindle...........done
                    If you're going to help, be helpful. If he suggested a '98 CL hub, whether it's a 2.3CL or a 3.0CL then it's stil 4x114.3. The '02 TL is 5x114.3. Also, as with everything else, when you're suggesting something don't just give one random selection from a broad group of the same exact thing. Supposing you didn't know that the same knuckle assemblies could be found in the '00-'02 Accord V6 or the '01-'03 3.2CL you could have at least found the year ranges for the model you listed and suggested that instead. '99-'03 3.2TL would have all been options.

To everyone:

I've given the run down on this stuff so many times it's not even funny. I still plan on helping in every way that I can in the future because I don't want people to buy crap they don't need. But it would be nice if I didn't have to start at square one every time.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Here's the important information that seems to be evading everyone.

Here's what we have on our Accords from the factory. The '94-'97 Accord is the same except it does not have provisions for bolting on an upper ball joint cover. The 4-cylinder CL is the same part number as the '94-'97 Accord and that explains the part number difference from the '90-'93 Accord.

The knuckle:

The hub and bearing:

Here is what comes on '95-'97 Accord V6s and '95-'98 Odysseys('96-'99 Isuzu Oasis).

The knuckle:

The hub and bearing:
                      http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1366932290

You'll notice that the knuckles and hub/bearing assemblies above are different. The hub/bearing is larger for the V6 Accord and Odyssey because it's on a heavier application. It's designed to be stronger.

Let's look at the '97-'99 CLs everyone's always so universal with, shall we? We'll find the exact same differences. I didn't include part numbers for the '97 models as I doubt anyone cares for HOR information.

Here is the '98-99 2.3CL fiche.

The knuckle:

The hub and bearing:

And here is the '98-'99 3.0CL diagram.

The knuckle:

The hub and bearing:

The year and model are always important with the CL stuff unless you're intending to install the complete assembly with brakes and everything. I hope this clears it up.
                      Last edited by Jarrett; 04-25-2013, 08:05 PM.

Comment

2.3 Acura CL spindle, just wanted to know if its the same as the 92 accords, different part numbers have me unsure...thtas all.

Comment

The different part number is only due to the '94-'97 Accord and '97-'99 2.2/2.3CL not having a place to bolt in the upper ball joint covers. Dimensionally it's the same.

I edited the post above to include that information.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                            2.3CL or 3.0CL? this is part of the problem with misinformation or confusion. No one ever specifies anything.

If you're going to help, be helpful. If he suggested a '98 CL hub, whether it's a 2.3CL or a 3.0CL then it's stil 4x114.3. The '02 TL is 5x114.3. Also, as with everything else, when you're suggesting something don't just give one random selection from a broad group of the same exact thing. Supposing you didn't know that the same knuckle assemblies could be found in the '00-'02 Accord V6 or the '01-'03 3.2CL you could have at least found the year ranges for the model you listed and suggested that instead. '99-'03 3.2TL would have all been options.

To everyone:

I've given the run down on this stuff so many times it's not even funny. I still plan on helping in every way that I can in the future because I don't want people to buy crap they don't need. But it would be nice if I didn't have to start at square one every time.
                            I used the 2002 TL complete spindle and I mean complete as I even had the calipers still on them. All I did was use the cb caliper which fit the bracket nicely instead of the TL caliper. Even the axle end fit on the first try. total time for the install was 90 minutes.

As for the rear I did what Lee (da9b16) did. I used the CR-V drums and Prelude hubs. 1 hour time on installation for both sides.

the problem I ran into was the front spindles were setup for 16" and larger wheels and I had bought a set of 15" rims. Needless to say I had to run around to find a set of 16" wheels fast.

I should have been a little more complete,,sorry
                            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X