Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagon with a system... how to pick rear struts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon with a system... how to pick rear struts?

92 Lx Wagon, looking to upgrade the struts. Only thing is I'm not sure what exactly is the best way to go. I'm considering using the Koni STR.Ts, but they're not adjustable. I assume that the extra weight in the trunk easily exceeds 100 lbs (battery + boxes + amps + subs) is that gonna mean I'll want something adjustable? At least in the rear?

I also have lowering springs, Tein S Tech. Fronts have been used on my last cb7, rears are still new. So, would the STR.Ts work well enough for this setup or am I gonna want a stronger or more adjustable strut to compensate for the extra weight?

I don't have a 2.5" exhaust or a giant muffler so I'm not worried about scraping anything like that.

Thanks

Edit: Wow, lol. Total fail, how did that get into my title? If a mod sees that can you please fix it?
    Last edited by Sarthos; 03-26-2011, 03:59 AM.

what is the goal? if you're not worried about scraping then stick with your tein's and get some koni str.t's, but even with that i'm sure it should be fine. i'm sure they'll hold up to the additional weight without the scraping. it's like having an adult in the back at all times i'd imagine.
    1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
      92 Lx Wagon, looking to upgrade the struts. Only thing is I'm not sure what exactly is the best way to go. I'm considering using the Koni STR.Ts, but they're not adjustable. I assume that the extra weight in the trunk easily exceeds 100 lbs (battery + boxes + amps + subs) is that gonna mean I'll want something adjustable? At least in the rear?

I also have lowering springs, Tein S Tech. Fronts have been used on my last cb7, rears are still new. So, would the STR.Ts work well enough for this setup or am I gonna want a stronger or more adjustable strut to compensate for the extra weight?

I don't have a 2.5" exhaust or a giant muffler so I'm not worried about scraping anything like that.

Thanks

Edit: Wow, lol. Total fail, how did that get into my title? If a mod sees that can you please fix it?
      Conveniently for you, increasing weight via something like a sound system is sprung weight. Sprung weight is controlled by your rebound, and it just so happens that Koni yellows have fixed compression, but adjustable rebound.

For the best compromise of ride and performance, and cost savings.. for the added weight of your wagon, I would consider Koni STR.t's up front and Koni yellows in the rear. That should allow you to handle the extra weight nicely with the rears turned up 1/2 to 1 turn from full soft.
      There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'd want to soften the rear struts? I thought that extra weight necessitated stiffer struts. Or is it just stronger struts. I can't remember.

The mix of the two does sound like a good idea.I don't think the fronts need adjustability as badly, STR.Ts should suffice.

Yah, like having an adult in the back at all times. Keep in mind that it's at the very back at all times, which is much more stressful, since it all gets put on the rear shocks rather than split between all four like it would with a person sitting on the seat at all times.

Comment

I might have the same issue(s) .. like to subscribe to this thread to watch where it goes.
          I'm pretty sure I'll be using the Form & Function 1's or 2's myself.
          Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 03-27-2011, 07:04 AM.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
            Conveniently for you, increasing weight via something like a sound system is sprung weight. Sprung weight is controlled by your rebound, and it just so happens that Koni yellows have fixed compression, but adjustable rebound.
            good to know.

I'd want to soften the rear struts? I thought that extra weight necessitated stiffer struts. Or is it just stronger struts. I can't remember.

The mix of the two does sound like a good idea.I don't think the fronts need adjustability as badly, STR.Ts should suffice.

Yah, like having an adult in the back at all times. Keep in mind that it's at the very back at all times, which is much more stressful, since it all gets put on the rear shocks rather than split between all four like it would with a person sitting on the seat at all times.
            in the case of the koni yellows, full soft is actually stiffer than your oe spec strut and probably about where the str.t's are set to, so just above that would compensate and help balance if i'm correct.

as for the weight distribution, i hadn't thought of where in the car the weight was placed. that does make the difference.
            1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

The Koni STR.t's are very close to the Koni yellows on full soft...so you'd actually still be stiffening them.

Comment

Okay, I didn't realize the Konis were that stiff on soft, I thought they adjusted from about OE stiffness at soft to really stiff on hard. That might work really well. Is it gonna mess me up real bad not having front adjustability though? I wouldn't think so.

Comment

Okay, I didn't realize the Konis were that stiff on soft, I thought they adjusted from about OE stiffness at soft to really stiff on hard. That might work really well. Is it gonna mess me up real bad not having front adjustability though? I wouldn't think so.
                  No, it should be fine. I mean ideally, I would just get the yellows all around, but if you really need to save the money, then you should be ok with STR.t's up front.

Comment

I'm sure if I post this link someone's gonna grab these, but...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KONI-...Q5fAccessories

Is that all that I need for the front struts? It looks like some stuff is missing, possibly that I need to take from the factory struts?

Comment

too bad its only 2......./\

but the cost for the sports have gone down some the 488.32 shipped to ur door now from neuspeed.com as to the 5-600 ones on ebay and there lifetime warrentied!...but to answer the ?...yes u would want the yellows and no it wont mater what so ever to have only the rears adjustable...

my new turbo build

Comment

Won't matter at all if just the rears are adjustable? Why is that? :/

That's not a bad price either..

Comment

The reason I said Koni yellows in the rear and Koni STR.t in the front is so that you can turn up the rebound in the rear on the yellows to help control the extra weight of the wagon and your sound system, and I said the Koni STR.t's for the front just to help you save a little money. If you have enough money for a full set of yellows though, then just do that.

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                            The reason I said Koni yellows in the rear and Koni STR.t in the front is so that you can turn up the rebound in the rear on the yellows to help control the extra weight of the wagon and your sound system, and I said the Koni STR.t's for the front just to help you save a little money. If you have enough money for a full set of yellows though, then just do that.
                            (To the OP)
                            With this in mind, I'll add one more thing.
                            I have S-tech springs with Koni STR.Ts. From what I have seen the last 10k miles, the STR.T shocks feel overdamped when equipped with the low-springrate S-techs. You'll likely never need the extra damping force provided by the Koni Sport shocks in the front. Based on this experience, I would follow Mndude07's recommendation regardless of budget concerns. STR.T in front, Sport in back.
                            Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
                            2005 Acura TSX 6MT
                            2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

Why not just run a stiffer spring in the rear? Instead of putting the additional load on stuts that wear out and can fail long before springs will wear out.

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

Working...
                              X