Megan coilover sleeves instalation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megan coilover sleeves instalation

Does anyone have pics of how they look like on installed on the struts. I got the install directions but some pics would help. Thanks guys.
    i tried a search but had no luck.

it should be pretty straightforward. it should look like the product photo with a strut in it. the threaded sleeve goes on the strut body and the spring top hat will go on the strut rod.

p.s. make sure you don't mix up the front and rear springs. good luck!

peace.
    Last edited by apalileo; 03-19-2011, 09:24 AM.
    1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Just use OEM top hat, dont use those red things, they are only a glorified bumpstops.

you loose valuable shock travel also.

Dont forget the rubber rings that go inside the sleeve around the shock, and the grub screws.

just like this (not mine)

Last edited by marcusv8thunder; 03-19-2011, 09:53 PM.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
      UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
      NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Originally posted by marcusv8thunder View Post
        Just use OEM top hat, dont use those red things, they are only a glorified bumpstops.
        don't those go between the oem top hat and the bump stop? those will prevent the springs from becoming misaligned because these springs are smaller in diameter compared to the stock ones (they will slide around inside the oem top hat). one could easily measure the thickness of the megan top hat around the strut rod and trim that thickness from the stock bumps top. that way you keep the bump stop AND have the proper top hat to seat the spring on.

i know megan racing's reputation doesn't quite touch those of companies like ground-control/eibach, but i'm certain that there is some reason those parts are included.

Comment

one thing i have to clear up... it's not a top hat, it's an insert for it. the stock top hat is used with this in place of the rubber that seats the stock spring.

that being said, even ground-control supplies a top hat insert. while it doesn't impede on the bumpstop like the megan racing one it does the same function of replacing the rubber and keeping the spring centered. i used to have a set of these installed on my cd5 and the inserts did their job well to keep the spring in line with the strut.

peace.

Comment

If you think it through, the spring is on a seat and with the weight of the car on them, good luck trying to move them, unless your trying to take a jump in the car or something and the shock go into full droop the spring will always have some preload. This is defiantly the case on the fronts, im fully aware that there is an issue on the rears because they are too short.

If you leave them in the ride will be very bouncy as you be sitting on those red inserts.

I have the megan coilover sleeves without red inserts on the front of the car, never had a problem, i however have custom rear springs.

NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Originally posted by marcusv8thunder View Post
              If you think it through, the spring is on a seat and with the weight of the car on them, good luck trying to move them, unless your trying to take a jump in the car or something and the shock go into full droop the spring will always have some preload. This is defiantly the case on the fronts, im fully aware that there is an issue on the rears because they are too short.

If you leave them in the ride will be very bouncy as you be sitting on those red inserts.

I have the megan coilover sleeves without red inserts on the front of the car, never had a problem, i however have custom rear springs.
              ok i got these on before anyone posted on here but i had trouble putting on the used Koni yellows i bought used so i paired the sleeves with Koni streets. I however did put the plastic red things. And this was my result.

That was i little to low my Catalytic converter was scraping going up and down my driveway.
              and the ride was TOO Bouncy.
              i raised it up more this morning (one finger gap in the front, two in the front) the ride was 10x better.
              I'm guessing the ride was bouncy because it was to low and seeing as the koni streets are like yellow on full soft the shocks were not stiff enough to handle that drop? and maybe the red plastic thing contributed to the problem?

I am planing on installing the yellows soon though so you think the yellow set somewhat stiff would be less bouncy on the height i have on the pic above?
              Last edited by Rayz92; 03-20-2011, 01:22 AM.

Comment

In that pic you are low, so the ride wont be great with any shock. But a Koni yellow shock, will improve things greatly.

on the front take out the red inserts and have your bumpstop cut to about 1inch, the ride up front be perfect. As for the rears its just damage limitation. I would personally take out the red inserts as well, and you would gain all that travel that goes into the extended part of the oem rear tophat.

NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

well, marcusv8thunder speaks from experience so taking out the inserts should help, just be sure that when lowering the car to the ground that the springs are in the top hats.

as for yellows, they have a thicker strut rod so that would explain why the inserts didn't fit them. everything must be swapped out (or drilled out as i've seen) to accomodate them. yellow's will handle just about anything you throw at them, so my short answer to the last question would be "yes".

Comment

Working...
                  X