New car feel/used car feel-WIND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New car feel/used car feel-WIND

What is it about high miles on your suspension that makes your car turn into a wind sail? Ive never really understood what part of your suspension wears out, and allows this to happen-but every car I own thats got 100k+ miles is a freakin sail in the wind. Sometimes its hard to correct, im sure atleast one of you guys has had this happen before.

You dont experience this in a new car, so what gives? Whats the deal?
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Originally posted by toycar View Post
    What is it about high miles on your suspension that makes your car turn into a wind sail? Ive never really understood what part of your suspension wears out, and allows this to happen-but every car I own thats got 100k+ miles is a freakin sail in the wind. Sometimes its hard to correct, im sure atleast one of you guys has had this happen before.

You dont experience this in a new car, so what gives? Whats the deal?
    Worn out bushings
    Springs have lost some of their rate
    Shocks are worn and not damping properly

Play in the steering rack, tie rods, and rack mounting bushings can cause you to perceive such a feeling as well.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
      Worn out bushings
      Springs have lost some of their rate
      Shocks are worn and not damping properly

Play in the steering rack, tie rods, and rack mounting bushings can cause you to perceive such a feeling as well.
      Never checked the rack mounting bushings or changed the springs, or my bushings....

Thanks man, Im gonna check that out.

Of the bunch, which do you suppose is more prone to wearing out?

The rack, tie rods(inner and outer), wheel hubs(sealed bearing), and ball joints have all been replaced on 2 of my DSM's, and they are still sails. My CB is going to need a new front end as well.

Thanks again.
      Originally posted by wed3k
      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
        Never checked the rack mounting bushings or changed the springs, or my bushings....

Thanks man, Im gonna check that out.

Of the bunch, which do you suppose is more prone to wearing out?

The rack, tie rods(inner and outer), wheel hubs(sealed bearing), and ball joints have all been replaced on 2 of my DSM's, and they are still sails. My CB is going to need a new front end as well.

Thanks again.
        I would say the bushings. You have to remember also, these cars are ~20 years old, so even in like new condition, the compliance in the suspension isn't going to have such a tight tolerance as a new car will. Bushings should help alot though.
        There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X