Looking for Close to OEM ride, but much better handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Close to OEM ride, but much better handling

Ok, my 92 ex is great. Coming up on our 2 year anniversary, lol. It's been boosted, swapped, boosted again, and now in limbo... waiting on the short block to be built and boosted yet again.

The kicker is, I don't really care for how it handles. No, I'm not auto-x'ng the car on the highway, or driving like a jackass at all times, but it really feels unstable around turns. It's a 100% OE suspension, aside from traction bars, and has an lsd transmission. (that does change the way the car turns)

The car just feels way heavy. It wants to push through a turn under acceleration (not burning out, but just wants to keep going straight)

The second I let out of it, it seems to settle, but way too quickly. Once when it was boosted, I let up from a hard accell around a turn on the on ramp (I was up to speed) I had the rear end kick out on me pretty good.

Since then,I just do not trust my car, and that is not a good thing. I've just been babying my car, only trying to accelerate in a straight line... but my heart is in the twisties.

I used to be a civic guy, hatches especially. I used to really push my eg hatch and my crx to the point of no return, and I'd always feel stable and in control.

Ride quality is very important to me, and I cannot make up my mind. That's why the car is still on OE suspension, after 2 years. I've been in the game long enough to know to only buy parts once.

I'm thinking H&R OE springs, Gr2's, and a set of sway bars will help me get some control back, but I'm nervous when it comes to the sway bars. I know that in an optimally set up suspension, you kind of want to match the sway bars to the springs, and to the weight of the car, or else you could be worse off than when you started. The thing is, I do not have any way to get custom sway bars, and off the shelf options are limited.

Does anyone have any suspension setup suggestions? I want to be in complete control of my car, if something happens on the road (truck tire blow outs, animals, idiots), but I don't want to have to wince at every set of rail road tracks I come across... I'm getting too old for that shit.
    -Big3racing.net-
    My Build Thread. Many pics.

All bushings needs to be stiffened, aftermarket sway bars, strut bars

Simply say this, stiffen the chassis and the suspension, then you can take turns faster and more stable.

MRT

Comment

stickies

read da stickes man

Understeer

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Ghetto_CB7 View Post
        read da stickes man

Understeer
        Thanks for the link, but that thread isn't very helpful. It's full of nonsense.

I'm not running race tires, and I'm not autocrossing. I also know how to put air in my tires. There are conflicting reports about sway bar setups. That about sums up that thread, unless I missed something.

I feel that the car needs stiffer sway bars, especially a rear one. I just don't want to go out and buy x brand 91mm sway bar set, because that is not going to be what my car needs to meet my goals, and will likely end up upsetting the balance of my car more than it already is.
        -Big3racing.net-

Comment

I have Tein S Techs on my accord. they ride smooth pretty close to oem. but im also on stock shocks so it could be better. if you get them with some koni str.t it'll ride nice. plus it only lowers it 1.75 f and 2.00 r.
          COUPE K24

Comment

I have some suggestions. I currently have Tein S-tech springs installed with Koni STR.T shocks. The drop looks great, at 1.7''R and 2.1''F. However, the spring stiffness is just barely higher than stock. At first, I loved it - the ride quality nearly identical to that of the OEM setup. However, I use my car like a truck; I carry 4 passengers, work materials, machine parts, my bike, etc, very often. With any of these, the rear of the car sags to the point where I'm scraping EVERYWHERE. I'm currently in the process of replacing my exhaust from the cat-back because of holes. The Tein/Koni setup does feel great in the hills, but the body roll is still very noticeable. I take spirited drives in the mountains that involve variable-radii corners, trail braking, constant heel-and-toe shifting, so I've had my share of experience. If you don't use your car to transport stuff much, then this might work for you. Just be sure to get a set of sway bars - more on this later.

Instead of this spring setup, I would highly recommend Eibach Pro-Kit, Neuspeed Sport, or H&R Sport springs. The drop is minimal, especially with the Pro-Kit (only 1.2''), but the springs are about 50% stiffer than stock. This will likely get you the control you want.

Suspension Techniques and Progress Sport both offer sway bar setups for our cars. For less than $200, these can really reduce body roll. I'm thinking about picking up a set myself, and if you ask more experienced members around here, you'll hear nothing but praise for these bars.

Finally, a stiff set of bushings will do you good. The Energy Suspension Master Bushing kit is fairly ubiquitous on this site, and so can get some good responses from members who have it installed.
            Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
            2005 Acura TSX 6MT
            2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

Koni STR.T shocks are the best bang for the buck shock you can get.

As for springs, look at this thread for springs that suit your desire for both a smooth ride (lower spring rate) and lowering:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=139318

I would look at: Eibach, Progress, Sprint blues, H&R and Neuspeed Sport springs for higher end springs, then followed by the Tanabe, Tein, etc.

Upgrading all your bushings will help alot as well...I would do this first.

Also, get the progress rear sway bar, and keep the stock front sway with new poly bushings/endlinks. This will take out alot of your understeer.

Is the LSD in the gearbox a 1-way?
              There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

koni yellows and ground control coilovers. the best set up ive riden in. then there are the tein basic coilovers
                <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post

As for springs, look at this thread for springs that suit your desire for both a smooth ride (lower spring rate) and lowering:

I would look at: Eibach, Progress, Sprint blues, H&R and Neuspeed Sport springs for higher end springs, then followed by the Tanabe, Tein, etc.

Also, get the progress rear sway bar, and keep the stock front sway with new poly bushings/endlinks. This will take out alot of your under steer.

Thanks for your post. I hadn't noticed the Koni STR.T struts before. Must be something relatively new. The price is right for sure.

Also, Looked into the addco, progress, and suspension techniques bars. I'm likley going with the progress, mainly on your recommendation. It is the largest available at 22mm, the other two are 21mm, but I like the progress setup a little more. I don't think that upgrading the front bar as well is going to help as much as just the rear. The front bar already has new moog bushings/links... but I may as well replace them when I get into the energy suspension bushing kit.

Originally posted by tommi View Post
                  koni yellows and ground control coilovers. the best set up ive riden in. then there are the tein basic coilovers
                  I'm going to stay away from the yellows, only because of the $. Plus I'm not going to be running a real high spring rate, or need to utilize the adjustable perch.

I'll look into the ground controls.

So I have basically decided on Koni Str.t's, and progress rear bar. I just need to figure out springs. I don't really want to go lower than ~1.2" than stock. Mainly because I will likley be adding a 3" side exit exhaust/cutout again, and it used to scrape on the stock suspension.

Maybe I could run a higher rate spring for a 2+ inch drop, but fabricate some spring spacers to bring it back up to a 1" or less drop.
                  -Big3racing.net-

Comment

Originally posted by HondaBob View Post
                    Thanks for your post. I hadn't noticed the Koni STR.T struts before. Must be something relatively new. The price is right for sure.

Also, Looked into the addco, progress, and suspension techniques bars. I'm likley going with the progress, mainly on your recommendation. It is the largest available at 22mm, the other two are 21mm, but I like the progress setup a little more. I don't think that upgrading the front bar as well is going to help as much as just the rear. The front bar already has new moog bushings/links... but I may as well replace them when I get into the energy suspension bushing kit.

I'm going to stay away from the yellows, only because of the $. Plus I'm not going to be running a real high spring rate, or need to utilize the adjustable perch.

I'll look into the ground controls.

So I have basically decided on Koni Str.t's, and progress rear bar. I just need to figure out springs. I don't really want to go lower than ~1.2" than stock. Mainly because I will likley be adding a 3" side exit exhaust/cutout again, and it used to scrape on the stock suspension.

Maybe I could run a higher rate spring for a 2+ inch drop, but fabricate some spring spacers to bring it back up to a 1" or less drop.
                    You can run Eibach race springs or Hypercoils and pick the rate and ride height you want. Ground control is the same thing essentially.

Comment

This may or may not help you, but I run the Eibach sportlines and I simply love them!
                      I'm also running the Nuespeed strut bar up front, and I've got the GR-2's.

Now the fun part. I deleted the power steering. I never pulled it completely.
                      It's just that the rack leaked so bad, it could hardly hold fluid.

However, the rack holds juusst enough, to where I can still paralell park, if need be.
                      So I guess I didn't completely delete it, just sorta not maintained it.
                      I have a new rack, just never bothered to install it yet.

But I find that I can really feel the road MUCH better, and along with my springs and struts,
                      it feels wayyy better. I run a 205/55/15 and at normal driving speeds, I don't even miss the P/S ..
                      The only time it really comes into play, is when the RPM's are a bit low, then a lil more elbow grease may be required.

But off-ramps and on ramps are my favorites

Trust me .. I do NOT miss the P/S at all !!!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post

Also, get the progress rear sway bar, and keep the stock front sway with new poly bushings/endlinks. This will take out alot of your understeer.

Truth.

Originally posted by tommi View Post
                        And truth. Of the people Ive talked to who wanted better/stiffer handling whil still maintaining an OEM-like ride, Koni Yellows and Eibach Pros are what theyve all had.
                        Im not sure how well the STrT's pair with the Yellows but I imagine just as well. And Yellows arent -THAT- expensive.

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                        This may or may not help you, but I run the Eibach sportlines and I simply love them!
                        A few of the people i know on Yellows/Pros are switching to the Sportlines. Id like to but I thnk they're switching only because theyve been on the pros for so long that theyre used to the different ride and are ready to move up. I think Yellows/Pros are a good "starter" setup.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                        Originally posted by Jarrett
                        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Eibach knows what they're doing.

Comment

Well, after doing some research I've decided.

Koni str.t's
                            Eibach pro kit (same rate as sportlines, but ~1" less drop)
                            Progress rear sway bar
                            Polyurethane bushing kit (either prothane or energy, depending on what I can get cheaper)

Thanks for the help guys.
                            Last edited by HondaBob; 03-10-2011, 12:37 AM. Reason: pro kit, pro line, all the same at the end of a lonng day
                            -Big3racing.net-

Comment

Originally posted by HondaBob View Post
                              Well, after doing some research I've decided.

Koni str.t's
                              Eibach prolines (same rate as sportlines, but ~1" less drop)
                              Progress rear sway bar
                              Polyurethane bushing kit (either prothane or energy, depending on what I can get cheaper)

Thanks for the help guys.
                              Eibach Pro-Kit, not Proline. Common mistake, but excellent choice.
                              Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
                              2005 Acura TSX 6MT
                              2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

Working...
                              X