Play in the front wheels...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play in the front wheels...

When the front wheels are off the ground, I can move the wheels as if turning left/right about an inch.

Here are the symptoms:
    1. Both wheels move at the same time.
    2. No play at all in the steering wheel.
    3. Rattling over bumpy roads.

1. Since both wheels move at the same time, it shouldn't be one single tie rod end or ball joint, correct?

2. No play in the steering wheel means no slack in the steering column, correct?

3. Well that's just loose shit rattling about in there.

So... assuming the above is true (I could be wrong) could it be a rack/pinion issue? The rack is one solid bar connecting the two tie rods, so both wheels moving makes sense. But, if there was play in the mating of the rack and pinion, wouldn't I have play in the steering wheel?
    Bart: What's your name?
    Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

check the wheel bearings too, same thing happened to me cause when i had my tires mounted and my rims put on they put the wheel bearing on backwards or some bull spit like that

Comment

Just had new wheels bearing put in about two years ago when I did the front brakes. Honda dealer did the removal, install.

Comment

I would get an alignment because it sounds like the problem i had. But i only had play in my driverside wheel, it would actualy turn with the cracks in the road and it had horrible noises when i hit a bump.

Comment

sounds like either inner or outer tie-rod ends. But to be sure when the car is off the ground set both wheels straight and hold one wheel at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position and slowly move it back and forth(not too much to move the other wheel). try to keep ur eye on the outer tie-rod end or if it's possible have some one watch it as u move it. if there is excessive play in the tie-rod end u have found ur problem. Do this for the other side as well

Comment

The problem is that both wheels are moving together. It would seem to me that if one or both tie rod ends were crapped out, that the wheels wouldn't move together. That they would move independently of one another.

Of course, I'm not an expert.

Comment

The thing is that hes using too much force to check it. If he trys the way i said he could diagnose the problem easier

Comment

Moving the tire with my hand is too much force?

Comment

Lock your steering wheel and try to move your wheels by hand. Up and down movement indicates too much play in your hub bearings, side to side movement indicates your tie rod ends are bad. If everything is good there should be NO movement whats so ever with your wheels.
                  FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

it doesnt take much strength to do the procedure. not to sound like a dick but i'm a mechanic. trust me

Comment

Gotcha.

Comment

No problem mang anytime

Comment

i have same problem, at this moment i know i have bad inner and outer tie rod's, also im gona change the bushing, bad upper ball joint's can cause excessive play?, also how i know if the rack are bad? maybe i just have to do those changes first and later take a ride and check for more simptoms, what did you think?
                          Razer.-

Rev rev rev

Comment

I had my both my lower balljoints done about the same time so I don't think my issue is that.

Seems to me that if the upper or lower balljoints were sour you could move the top/bottom of the wheel a bit.

Usually ball joints squeek like mice if they go bad.

I was thinking tie rods too, but the wheels move together, which (to me) would mean the tie rod ends are ok.

I have no idea how to tell if a rack has gone bad, kind of trying to figure that out here.

Comment

tierod
                              http://www.get-gifts-for-free.com/?ref_id=4810

1992 Honda Accord 4dr 5spd EX- R.I.P 8/10/05

Comment

Working...
                              X