Upgrading Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading Suspension

No, I'm not talking about slapping some coilover sleeves on my car and calling that done. I am talking about completely overhauling the suspension. Bad news... I'm broke

I know with not having a lot of money the D2 full coilover system will be out of my reach for a while. However, I do want to do other things to help with my suspension. I just was wondering what would be the best place to start. Things I plan on including in this upgrade are:

Bushings (master kit)
    Coilovers (Full D2)
    Camber Kit (need help with brand, thinking progress)
    Traction Bar (ESP)
    Axles (maybe Fidanza )
    Wheels (Rota Slip Stream 15x7.5 et40)
    Tires (uncertain what size or brand)
    Brakes (undecided)
    Rear LCA (F2)
    Rear Sway Bar (Progress)
    Strut Tower Bars (ESP)
    Engine Mounts (ESP)
    B/C Pillar Brace (EM racing)

If I think of anything more I will add to the list.

Anyways, my questions are these:

What would be best to do first, second, etc?
    The items I'm undecided on, what is your opinion of the best choice?
    Are there any concerns with any of the parts listed?

I am doing research right now, but I'm working a lot now and will be able to start buying stuff soon, so I need to know where to stat

Thanks
    _C'est La Vie, C'est La Mort_

Originally posted by mr_naler View Post
    No, I'm not talking about slapping some coilover sleeves on my car and calling that done. I am talking about completely overhauling the suspension. Bad news... I'm broke

I know with not having a lot of money the D2 full coilover system will be out of my reach for a while. However, I do want to do other things to help with my suspension. I just was wondering what would be the best place to start. Things I plan on including in this upgrade are:

Bushings (master kit)
    Coilovers (Full D2)
    Camber Kit (need help with brand, thinking progress)
    Traction Bar (ESP)
    Axles (maybe Fidanza )
    Wheels (Rota Slip Stream 15x7.5 et40)
    Tires (uncertain what size or brand)
    Brakes (undecided)
    Rear LCA (F2)
    Rear Sway Bar (Progress)
    Strut Tower Bars (ESP)
    Engine Mounts (ESP)
    B/C Pillar Brace (EM racing)

If I think of anything more I will add to the list.

Anyways, my questions are these:

What would be best to do first, second, etc?
    The items I'm undecided on, what is your opinion of the best choice?
    Are there any concerns with any of the parts listed?

I am doing research right now, but I'm working a lot now and will be able to start buying stuff soon, so I need to know where to stat

Thanks
    These cars are roughly 20 years old, and often times the bushings are original still.

Start with bushings

Next, your tire is your contact patch with the ground and will make the largest difference of all. I would do good tires next.

Next, your springs and dampers are going to make the largest difference after tires. There are much better things out there than D2, but if that's what you want....

A camber kit should go on at the same time as the new springs/shocks or coilovers.

After that, its kind of a matter of priorities. Chassis bracing should be dead last for sure though.

Next, I would decide between brakes, lighter wheels, or a rear sway bar. If you have rear discs already, do the wheels or sway. If not, then upgrade the brakes at that point. Then follow with the remaining two.

The rest of the stuff is getting kind of into more fine-tuning. If you want me to explain in more detail, I can.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I was thinking bushings would be a good place to start but didn't know for sure. I do know for sure it's not going to be a whole lot of fun to replace them

I am going to run my TSW Evos when I get them refinished with some decent tires, but not great or expensive ones. What would be the best option here for a 16x7.5 wheel?

When I get my lightweight wheels I will get sticky real sticky tires.

Much better things out there than D2? Please elaborate. (p,s. not trying to sound like a smart alec)

Brakes are high on my priority list. I like being able to stop, that was my favorite thing about my DA. I just am trying to figure out the best set up.

I would love for you to explain in more detail. I am trying to gather as much knowledge about how to make my car function better as possible.

Comment

I was thinking bushings would be a good place to start but didn't know for sure. I do know for sure it's not going to be a whole lot of fun to replace them

I am going to run my TSW Evos when I get them refinished with some decent tires, but not great or expensive ones. What would be the best option here for a 16x7.5 wheel?

When I get my lightweight wheels I will get sticky real sticky tires.

Much better things out there than D2? Please elaborate. (p,s. not trying to sound like a smart alec)

Brakes are high on my priority list. I like being able to stop, that was my favorite thing about my DA. I just am trying to figure out the best set up.

I would love for you to explain in more detail. I am trying to gather as much knowledge about how to make my car function better as possible.
        For tires on your TSW's, it really depends where your priorities are. Need an all season, or just summer, need good wet traction? More grip or more treadlife? Speed rating? Price? Weight? etc etc.

D2, Tein, Function & Form, Ksport, etc...all the Taiwanese/Japanese/Chinese coilovers aren't really that stellar. For someone that wants a setup that works out of the box and they aren't too concerned past that they're fine. But, often times the springs have poor tolerances, the damper curves aren't the best, the damper quality isn't there. The valving is inconsistent, very poor hysteresis is present, the adjustment knobs don't do what you think they do, etc.

If you wanted to really get serious, I would look at Koni, Bilstein, AMR, KW, and that's about it....as far as direct bolt-on goes anyway.

For brakes, the stock rear disc setup and then converting the front to rotor over hub and upgrading to the 11" wagon rotors and prelude vtec/itr/odyssey/wagon calipers is a good starting point. Then you can play with your master cylinder size, get good pads, good rotors, high temp fluid, and stainless brake lines. That would be sufficient for the majority of cb7tuners.

For really sticky tires, I hear the Direzza Star-specs are one of the most, if not the most competitive street tire out right now.

Comment

Tires for my TSWs I would still like to have the best dry traction for the money.

That makes sense as to why they are so cheap I guess.

Both AMR and KW are $$$ I really didn't plan on dropping that much on coilovers. I had Ground Control/Koni setup on my E30 that I liked rather well. Even if it was "too low." Would this be a good set up, or would something like the AMR be a lot better?

With the brakes thing I had though about doing a 5 lug conversion, though I don't know what setup would give me the best brake package even then. Would this be a better performing option?

Also is this all I need for the bushing upgrade:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...prod=16.18108#

Comment

Tires for my TSWs I would still like to have the best dry traction for the money.

That makes sense as to why they are so cheap I guess.

Both AMR and KW are $$$ I really didn't plan on dropping that much on coilovers. I had Ground Control/Koni setup on my E30 that I liked rather well. Even if it was "too low." Would this be a good set up, or would something like the AMR be a lot better?

With the brakes thing I had though about doing a 5 lug conversion, though I don't know what setup would give me the best brake package even then. Would this be a better performing option?

Also is this all I need for the bushing upgrade:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...prod=16.18108#
            Koni yellows are probably the best bang for the buck you're going to get for the CB7. They can be rebuilt and custom valved too.

A 5lug conversion would basically use the same brake setup, except your rotors need to be 5 lug rotors of course. The same calipers will bolt up.

That should cover you on all the bushings for the suspension pretty much, except the trailing arms unless those are included too.

Comment

Sweet, well for now I guess I'll change my plans from D2 coils to a GC/Koni set up. Unless I can save up for those AMR full coils (doubtful).

So in order for me to go from DX rear drums and puny front disc brakes I need to upgrade to rear 4 lug disc brakes right?

I don't think they are included
              Last edited by mndude07; 02-21-2011, 03:39 AM.

Comment

If you want to go to rear discs, just grab the whole rear setup at the junkyard. If you decide you want to go 5 lug, the prelude hubs and bearings are supposed to bolt right on. For the front 5 lug, you can use odyssey or 5th gen prelude knuckles. The Odyssey knuckles work best though.

Comment

Yeah there is a guy in GA that is going to give me the EX rear disc conversion, 92-93 tails, 92-93 rear bumper, and a black dash for I think $175. I thought it was a good price. I don't know if I'm going to pick up the dash though. Hopefully he has the F22A4 header I've been wanting too!

I'll start looking for the Prelude and Odyssey parts I need too. Oh and the ITR rotors.

Comment

So why are you suggesting over the hub front rotors? Are they really better or is that just for ease of replacement? I don't see how it would be much of a difference apart from being easier to change.

The Blue Bomber

Comment

Originally posted by blu35p4rr0w View Post
                      So why are you suggesting over the hub front rotors? Are they really better or is that just for ease of replacement? I don't see how it would be much of a difference apart from being easier to change.
                      That's it. Much easier to change.

Comment

Working...
                      X