5 lug conversion, without buying new hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 lug conversion, without buying new hubs

I am trying to figure out if this is going to be doable and be safe. I have access to a machine shop and I was thinking of just drilling out the 5 lugs in the 4 lug hub. I would keep one lug, and drill out the other 4. Now before you say whoa how are you going to do this...I have the skills to do this, its just a safety factor. I have already drawn it out on AutoCad and It appears to be extremely doable. I will put the hub on a conventional Bridgeport mill, indicate the center hole in, and then attempt to indicate the lug I am keeping, then follow the coords that autocad gave me.

I also don't feel like doing a rear disc conversion at this time for the Prelude rear hub. So what I am thinking about doing is the same thing up front and then drilling out the drum to work too.

This can be a cheap alternative to having to go the the junkyard and bust your ass pulling the parts off. If you are lazy like me, you may be able to pay 30-40 bones to have this done at a machine shop in your area. Let me know what yall think.

the honda CRV brake drums work, some guy on ehre did a 5 lug swap and kept it rear drum.

Comment

Stress concentrations like hell on a critical part of the upright. I wouldn't do it unless you know the max loads the hubs will see and can run your own FEA's.
      There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

do you already have a set of 5 lug wheels that you're trying to get onto your car? if not, take the time to gather the correct parts. while you have the resources to make the modifications, there will be no way to ensure nor inspect the safety of the results. many times when the phrase "cheap alternative" is used, it doesn't only apply to money.

peace.
        Last edited by apalileo; 02-18-2011, 05:56 AM. Reason: peace.
        1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

another cheap way.

Comment

Good luck trying to drill this out:

This has fail written all over it.

The price it costs to fill the holes and re-drill surpasses the cost of the RIGHT parts to use.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
            JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

i agree. do it once, and do it right.
              We are all ricers, it just depends what flavor rice you are.

Minitrucker by heart, CB7tuner by coincidence.

My For Sale Thread
              Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Skeet skeet, I see your point on doing it like you said. I know when I went to Puerto Rico the dudes down there did that. They just redrilled there hubs for 5 lug. I saw every honda down there. I know they did it like that because in Aguada there's a store called Todo Honda. They even told me that's what they do.

Is it safe.. eh I wouldn't trust it.

If you want to redrill your 4 lug go for it. But it wont be ROH and you wont be the 11" rotor or bigger caliper.

Those points are usually why someone goes 5 lug also.

If you don't want to waste your time at a Junkyard have them take it out for you. Pay a little more on there part.

As for the rear then don't go rear disc, as said just go crv rear drum.

Your post sounds a bit on the lazy side. So think about doing it right the first time..

Comment

I met a guy in Kearny, NJ that had his drums drilled also, I remember being like eehh, I don't know if that's safe.
                  1993 Accord EX
                  2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Don't let them scare you off man. I say do it. If you are not racing or autocross your car then I don't see why it will not hold up. If it go bad it go bad . so far no one can confirm that it will break just speculation.
                    let us know the result.

but if safty is your #1 concern. then don't bother lowering your car or any modification.
                    every thing modified on the car carry some risk. just how far is the question.
                    good luck mang!
                    Last edited by blackex; 02-18-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackex View Post
                      Don't let them scare you off man. I say do it. If you are not racing or autocross your car then I don't see why it will not hold up. If it go bad it go bad . so far no one can confirm that it will break just speculation.
                      let us know the result.

but if safty is your #1 concern. then don't bother lowering your car or any modification.
                      every thing modified on the car carry some risk. just how far is the question.
                      good luck mang!
                      if it go bad, it go bad.... right. At 70mph. Going around a curve. On a three lane interstate. With 3 buddies in the car. You weren't even racing, just hit a pothole.

This is backwards logic: "No one has proved I will die so I'm going to try"

Correct logic: "No one can prove I will be safe. I probably should just do it right"

Together... we can save lives people.
                      RIP

Bought from : LosiRacer2, h22anow

Comment

Originally posted by led_fut View Post
                        if it go bad, it go bad.... right. At 70mph. Going around a curve. On a three lane interstate. With 3 buddies in the car. You weren't even racing, just hit a pothole.

This is backwards logic: "No one has proved I will die so I'm going to try"

Correct logic: "No one can prove I will be safe. I probably should just do it right"

Together... we can save lives people.

again. speculation.
                        walking save lives, 43,443 peole die last year driving. logic will tell you DON'T DRIVE!

go for it skeet skeet. try it , test it, test it and test it to be sure it don't fail.
                        I'm sure your machine shop can test its streng some how after its drilled.
                        Last edited by blackex; 02-18-2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

in the time spent discussing and pndering this, you could get a side job doing some sort of minimal work that'll pay for the parts you could use to do it right.

why do spend so much time trying to do shit wrong?

Comment

okay, let's take it back to the OP then. doable... yes. safe... we'll say undetermined. from what we are now being told it has already been done so if you choose to, that is your prerogative. some of us may not agree, but it's not our car nor our decision.

peace.
                            1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

all I'm saying is will the hub break apart and fail with extra hole drilled in them.
                              or will it still strong enought for normal driving.
                              that is really the question.

Comment

Working...
                              X