Front left strut stuck, riding high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front left strut stuck, riding high

Like the title says, my front left strut is "hitting" a false bottom internally, stopping way before the rod is all the way inside the shock body. The result is that corner is about 1" higher than normal and also has no absorption capability.

I took the assembly apart and tried to compress the strut with a bar clamp while tapping all around but with no success, it just plain stops half way in.

Pretty sure the strut is useless and likely not worth rebuilding with internal damage, it's taken a tremendous beating going over bumps with only my tire sidewall doing the absorbing so it's surely stuck for good.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue before?? It's also interesting that not long ago my rear right did something similar: SEE THREAD HERE

Oh, these struts are used Bilsteins purchased off ebay and were run on a 5th gen for unknown miles. Just have NEVER heard of quality problems with Bilsteins unless the previous owner really beat on them........they all were really firm and "bounced back" quickly when I first got them.
    Last edited by 19dabeast85; 11-08-2010, 10:34 PM.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

struts could be bent
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Bilsteins aren't supposed to bend. They shouldn't bend on a street car, period. You said you bought them off Ebay....what was the company/storefront name? Either they are defective, or (more likely) they are fake. There was a company awhile back called ShockTek or something like that, and they were pretty much Bilsteins with cheaper components, including the rods.
      There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
        struts could be bent
        I've had them about a year and just had problems the last couple weeks.

Visual inspection showed no bend but I'm sure it only takes a little bit of bend to bind up internally.

How would these shocks get bent with our double wishbone setup?
        My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
          Bilsteins aren't supposed to bend. They shouldn't bend on a street car, period. You said you bought them off Ebay....what was the company/storefront name? Either they are defective, or (more likely) they are fake. There was a company awhile back called ShockTek or something like that, and they were pretty much Bilsteins with cheaper components, including the rods.
          I bought them used from an individual along with the springs I'm running, the set came off a 94-95 Accord. The struts all functioned very smoothly when I installed them, all four had VERY similar return times.

These shocks ARE genuine Bilsteins just weird I'm having these troubles. Bilstein is one of THE best brands out there which is the only reason I bought them used.....I think it was $200 for the whole set of shocks and springs.
          My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

just some dumb luck, new shock bro.

It's only a matter of time before they blow if it's prematurely bottoming out.

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
              just some dumb luck, new shock bro.

It's only a matter of time before they blow if it's prematurely bottoming out.
              Yeah, I'm more worried about my tire having to absorb all the shock, been avoiding bumps as much as possible.

Guess it's time to start saving for the Neuspeed supercup kit.
              My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

running over curbs...
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                  running over curbs...
                  Never hit a curb, our roads around here are terrible though so they possibly just got beat the rest of the way to death. I'm planning to get the supercup kit and set it at the highest perch or wherever 2.5-3 finger-gap is. Hopefully I won't ruin those too.
                  My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                    Never hit a curb, our roads around here are terrible though so they possibly just got beat the rest of the way to death. I'm planning to get the supercup kit and set it at the highest perch or wherever 2.5-3 finger-gap is. Hopefully I won't ruin those too.
                    You won't. I have that setup and have daily driven it for several years and the shocks are still good. They have a lifetime warranty anyway. I'm not sure they sell the cup kit anymore. But whether they do or not....

If you want a 2-3 finger gap, why not get the Neuspeed sport springs, and then put them on the lowest perch? The height will be similar to the race springs on the middle or upper perch, but the ride will not be as harsh.

Comment

You won't. I have that setup and have daily driven it for several years and the shocks are still good. They have a lifetime warranty anyway. I'm not sure they sell the cup kit anymore. But whether they do or not....

If you want a 2-3 finger gap, why not get the Neuspeed sport springs, and then put them on the lowest perch? The height will be similar to the race springs on the middle or upper perch, but the ride will not be as harsh.
                      Hadn't thought of that, just how harsh are the race springs? Any idea what the spring rates are?

Are you running full, half, or no bump stops?

LINKY
                      My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                        Hadn't thought of that, just how harsh are the race springs? Any idea what the spring rates are?

Are you running full, half, or no bump stops?

LINKY
                        The race springs are 485F, 300R. I don't know what my ride frequency is because I haven't been able to scale the car.

Removing bump stops completely is a terrible idea. I cut them down as suggested by Koni, which is roughly half.

Comment

The race springs are 485F, 300R. I don't know what my ride frequency is because I haven't been able to scale the car.

Removing bump stops completely is a terrible idea. I cut them down as suggested by Koni, which is roughly half.
                          I agree that removing them is stupid, I currently have them cut in half, just making sure.

Hmm.. sports are 260/165. I've got no less than 150 lbs total of sound deadening installed and tools at all times....sports might work.
                          My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                          X