Quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question

Couldn't seem to confirm this anywhere so I'm going to go ahead and ask it. My car is not currently running, goes in for the swap on Tuesday. Anyways, I was going to just get the shop to put on the suspension for $200 but I'm thinking since I have a few days of spare time, why not do it myself?

Anyways my question:
    I read somewhere on this site (can't find specific thread) that you're supposed to drive your car right after installing your suspension so it can set properly. Unfortunately my car (like I said) isn't currently running, so I cannot do that. Should I install the suspension or just wait and let the shop do it?

Also, second Q is: Do I need a camber kit for my car? I've got the H&R Race springs (2.2"f/2.0"r) and I'm thinking that the camber or control arm is going to rub the wheel :/

Thanks
    Last edited by StreetNewb; 08-26-2010, 05:17 PM.

^Clicky for MRT
    Kelowna Rhinoplasty and Gozie.com.

You need a camber kit for the front at least. Also, you just need to make sure the bushing pre-load is taken care of. If you're just changing shocks and springs, there's nothing to worry about and you don't have to let anything settle really.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

ugh darn lol I was hoping to get away without a camber kit. Just noticed the shocks didn't come with the top holder thing (no clue what the name is) so I would need a spring compressor to take the old ones off anyways which is like $80. Might as well have the shop do it professionally.

Thanks for the help!

^Clicky for MRT

Comment

Just rent a spring compressor and do it yourself.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
        1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
        2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
        2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
        2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
        2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by ExplodingCake View Post
          Just rent a spring compressor and do it yourself.
          no clue how to install cambers and I have to wait for them to come in the mail anyways. Would need to purchase a torque wrench too for putting it back together. No places here to rent tools either.

^Clicky for MRT

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
            cheap spring compressors are available at harbor freight . You don't need one though. Since accord springs are soft, all you need is an impact and a tire as a backstop.
            ^^^that is very dangerous, and not recommended IMO. Remember...SAFETY FIRST
            if you don't have the right tools or knowledge to do it, ask someone who does or bring it to a shop...

Comment

Hey man I have the exact same springs with Koni STR.T shocks and I didn't use a camber kit. it has been well over 3 months now, and my tires are still good(hopefully they will stay good) just make sure you get an alignment soon after.

JENNA 91 LX

RIP 12-11-09 - 12/06/10
              JANE 99 Infiniti i30
              2-9-11 - current
              "Life is simple, you make choices and you don't look back."

Comment

Originally posted by OldMan'92Accord View Post
                ^^^that is very dangerous, and not recommended IMO. Remember...SAFETY FIRST
                if you don't have the right tools or knowledge to do it, ask someone who does or bring it to a shop...
                Have you done it?

It is not dangerous at all on an accord with stock soft springs. The spring compressor has a greater chance of hurting you.
                Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by sow3r View Post
                  Hey man I have the exact same springs with Koni STR.T shocks and I didn't use a camber kit. it has been well over 3 months now, and my tires are still good(hopefully they will stay good) just make sure you get an alignment soon after.
                  YAY! haha thanks for the input

Also, yeah the first main reason (asides from performance) of getting new shocks was safety, so I'll just leave it to the shop to do it. Thanks for the help everybody.

^Clicky for MRT

Comment

Have you done it?

It is not dangerous at all on an accord with stock soft springs. The spring compressor has a greater chance of hurting you.
                    By chance are you an idiot? You want to let a compressed spring under tension just fly off rather then using somthing DESIGNED to do the job? How the hell could a spring compressor possibly hurt you? have you even used one?

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                      By chance are you an idiot? You want to let a compressed spring under tension just fly off rather then using somthing DESIGNED to do the job? How the hell could a spring compressor possibly hurt you? have you even used one?

Again someone who has no idea because they have never done it and resorts to name calling. The spring doesn't move anywhere let alone 'fly'. Maybe you should learn a little bit more about these things before you speak

Have you ever used a spring compressor? Have you ever lowered a car? I own several and use them when needed. You obviously don't or you would understand. Unless you are 90lb girl, you don't need one for an accord.
                      Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Again someone who has no idea because they have never done it and resorts to name calling. The spring doesn't move anywhere let alone 'fly'. Maybe you should learn a little bit more about these things before you speak

Have you ever used a spring compressor? Have you ever lowered a car? I own several and use them when needed. You obviously don't or you would understand. Unless you are 90lb girl, you don't need one for an accord.
                        i did this when swapping my set up recently, not by preference, but had to work with what i had. i was swapping stock setup to aftermarket setup and yes the top-hat and shocks "fly" away from the spring. Whether you think the spring is soft or not, it definitely is still compressed therefore creating a "flying" motion. I would not recommend this method, but again, you have to work with what you have. IMO if money is a major concern, only do this as a last resort. AND if you do decide to do this, position yourself perpendiculare to the shock/spring therefore nothing comes shooting straight for your face. Again, not recommended and definitely not the safest way.

Click picture to see my mrt
                        Instagram: sikz6

Comment

damit i-.. omg I put the shock on and after all of those hours trying to get in the lower bolt and have everything together I finally notice I didn't set the ride height to lowest so I've got to take it off tomorrow and re-do it hahaha omg I really am a newb -.-
                          Last edited by StreetNewb; 08-28-2010, 12:05 AM.

^Clicky for MRT

Comment

Quit arguing about spring compressors. You aren't helping the original poster. Yes, it is true that the OEM spring/shock combo is relatively harmless without a spring compressor, however the practice in general is considered unsafe. Just because you can get away with it on a stock CB doesn't mean you can on every other car out there....and lowering spring/shock combos, forget it. Get a spring compressor. The shocks have much higher rebound forces and the springs have much higher spring rates.
                            There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X