Tein Springs with GR-2 shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tein Springs with GR-2 shocks

I'm officially giving my car to my dad by mid-August, so I've begun a process of de-ricing.
    However, I do not want to go through the hassle of raising my car back up to stock height. I'm currently running Tein S-tech springs with KYB GR-2 shocks up front. My dad didn't notice the drop when I drove it to his place recently, but he certainly WILL notice the drop if one of the KYB shocks were to blow. I have Koni shocks out back, so I have 100% faith that they will never blow - but I'm extremely nervous about the KYBs.

Does anyone have experience with this front spring/shock setup? My dad is a calm, smooth-mannered, adult driver who only rarely turns aggressively; highway commuting will likely be the majority of his driving.

With this kind of 49-year-old-driver in mind, will the KYB shocks eventually blow? If so, how soon? Any help is appreciated, guys.
    Last edited by Nurega; 07-20-2010, 02:50 AM.
    Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
    2005 Acura TSX 6MT
    2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Originally posted by Nurega View Post
    I'm officially giving my car to my dad by mid-August, so I've begun a process of de-ricing.
    However, I do not want to go through the hassle of raising my car back up to stock height. I'm currently running Tein S-tech springs with KYB GR-2 shocks up front. My dad didn't notice the drop when I brought it home recently, but he certainly WILL notice the drop if one of the KYB shocks were to blow. I have Koni shocks out back, so I have 100% faith that they will never blow - but I'm extremely nervous about the KYBs.

Does anyone have experience with this front spring/shock setup? My dad is a calm, smooth-mannered, adult driver who never turns too aggressively; highway commuting will likely be the majority of his driving.

With this kind of 49-year-old-driver in mind, will the KYB shocks eventually blow? If so, how soon? Any help is appreciated, guys.
    On a Tein spring, I don't think you have much to worry about. They're very soft.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The springs are soft, but the car is still lowered about 1.5'' in the front, hence my concern. Anyone with this setup?
      2005 Acura TSX 6MT

Comment

Shocks are always a when not an if. so they will eventually blow. they are a soft spring as already mentioned so the shock blowing quickly from being under dampened is unlikely. the problem i would say would be the fact that the shock has less travel in it from being lowered. I have heard good and bad things about the kyb's but as long as they aren't beat on and it sounds like that's not the case, it should be fine for a while.

Comment

They're fine man.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
          1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
          2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
          2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
          2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
          2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

The springs are soft, but the car is still lowered about 1.5'' in the front, hence my concern. Anyone with this setup?
            How low you go isn't what kills shocks, its the rates....unless you're one of those people that removes bump stops entirely.
            There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
              How low you go isn't what kills shocks, its the rates....unless you're one of those people that removes bump stops entirely.
              oh, I didn't know that. And no, I actually left the entire bump stops in, uncut.
              2005 Acura TSX 6MT

Comment

I have the same springs, I've been considering those KYB shocks but I think they'd blow too fast for my personal use. I'm riding on some really crappy OEM shocks (or maybe OEM replacement) but it's actually not bad.

Comment

I don't have Tein's but I have GR-2's all around with Eibach Sportline springs. The springs were used so it's more like a 2 inch drop I'd say. My GR-2's aren't blown and I've had em since probably November last year. They'll be fine as long as whoever drives the CB doesn't fly through speed bumps, potholes, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by rhythmkeytar View Post
                    I don't have Tein's but I have GR-2's all around with Eibach Sportline springs. The springs were used so it's more like a 2 inch drop I'd say. My GR-2's aren't blown and I've had em since probably November last year. They'll be fine as long as whoever drives the CB doesn't fly through speed bumps, potholes, etc.
                    Sportline springs have nearly twice the spring rate of my Tein springs. How many miles would you say you have on them?
                    2005 Acura TSX 6MT

Comment

i have a couple years on my setup and its dropped on 2.25 ksport springs. while i dont think its blown, its lost its dampening ability. i also drive it pretty hard in corners and togued it a couple of times. dad wont notice anything.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Sportline springs have nearly twice the spring rate of my Tein springs. How many miles would you say you have on them?
                        How many miles since I put em on..I want to say around 8-10k miles. Honestly, I have no clue how many miles I put on since I installed em.

Comment

thank you for all the input, everyone. I'm keeping her lowered.
                          2005 Acura TSX 6MT

Comment

Working...
                          X