I torn the ball joint boot, any ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I torn the ball joint boot, any ideas ?

I was taking the ball joint off to to a clutch job.
    The u shaped tool ripped the boot a little , any way to seal them with glue or mayde duct tape them, they are brand new?

any ideas?

Any time you pull the ball joints out of their "sockets" you're almost always going to replace the boots. Autozone will sell the energy suspension boots (usually 2 in a pack, also available for the tie rods).

Comment

Are you kidding me?!?! If the boot is torn, do not use anything to try and seal it up. It will only fail it sooner because you intentfully introduced contamination. Contamination is your enemy on a torn ball-joint boot.

You should learn from this and be more careful, especially with new ball-joints.

For your situation, purchase those polyurethane ball-joint boot covers. They literally slip over your ball-joint boot for added protection, then you reinsert the joint and torque it to spec, set the cotter pin in place.

Prothane: 90-97 Accord ball-joint poly boot kit (qty: 4), part # 8-1702

I'm sure Energy Suspension has their own version as well. The above I found quick.
      Last edited by HondaFan81; 11-23-2009, 12:33 PM.
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

I would highly recommend those Energy suspension boots. They snap onto the balljoint w/ a reassuring air tight seal. I bought the kit off an Ebay seller for about 15 dollars for all 4 shipped. They're much more durable than the Honda rubber boots.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
          Are you kidding me?!?! If the boot is torn, do not use anything to try and seal it up. It will only fail it sooner because you intentfully introduced contamination. Contamination is your enemy on a torn ball-joint boot.

You should learn from this and be more careful, especially with new ball-joints.

For your situation, purchase those polyurethane ball-joint boot covers. They literally slip over your ball-joint boot for added protection, then you reinsert the joint and torque it to spec, set the cotter pin in place.

Prothane: 90-97 Accord ball-joint poly boot kit (qty: 4), part # 8-1702

I'm sure Energy Suspension has their own version as well. The above I found quick.
          listen to cisco, do not try to seal it up. suspension components like this you should take care of the right way, its a safety issue.
          R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Can the Front Ball Joint Dust Boot Set go over top of small torn balljoints ?

What tools are needed to install theses front Ball Joint Dust Boot Set from energy suspension company ?

Can the dust boots seal up previously torn balljoint boots......

Comment

Can the Front Ball Joint Dust Boot Set go over top of my existing ripped balljoints

any ideas?

Comment

Really? Thoes polyurethane boots are utter junk. I got them and just threw them in the trash. They seal like shit and leak grease. Just buy a value balljoint for $20 and take the boot off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by fonzee_92 View Post
                  What tools are needed to install theses front Ball Joint Dust Boot Set from energy suspension company ?

Can the dust boots seal up previously torn balljoint boots......
                  you just have to remove the 2 nuts on the upper and lower ones...pop the balljoint w/ a pickle fork or balljoint remover and then take the old boots off and fill those new ones up w/ grease and slide them on.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                  X