Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock suspension replacement

Hello one and all!

It's been awhile since I've had a thread on the forums but hopefully you guys and gals will still come through for me! Short story: I've decided that, in light of my recent new car purchase for my wife (06 Subaru Legacy 2.5i LTD, stay tuned for a posting in "Other Automotive") and the coming car payments/insurance/etc that modding my precious 93 Geneva Green SE will be a no-go. The ride is getting much worse lately though, and I've decided that instead of modding, I'll try to restore my car to some kind of newness.

My question to you, is what options do I have for new shocks/struts/coilovers? I don't have a dollar budget for this yet but I don't really want the cheapest stuff out there, maybe one step up from super-cheap. I'm looking to make the ride as soft as possible. Not going to be lowering the car at all. If possible I would like to maintain the stock ride-height. Thanks guys!

One more thing, is there anything else I can replace to make the ride more nice that I'm not aware of?
    Last edited by Masamune; 09-28-2009, 06:43 PM.
    Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
    D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ

kyb gr2's are a cheap yet good replacement. did these on on my mom's lexus rx300 and the ride is almost too noticable but damn, no more nose dive from braking and it has a lot more straight line stability. (it doesnt wander)
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

GR2's seem to be a good choice as of right now...

My next question is should I also be looking to replace the stock springs as well? They are old, without a doubt, but do those typically go bad at the same rate as shocks? Along those lines, if the spring should be replaced, would it be more efficient to get a coilover set-up or just get the shocks and springs seperately?
      Fix your Computer!

D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
      ┴─┴
      ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

springs do get old and deteriorate slightly, but i've never replaced them before. even when they're rusted out they still keep going for years. if you're staying at stock height then i wouldn't worry about them unless they are literally falling apart, but i wonder if someone on here has broken a spring before somehow and will chime in about it...
        96 mx-6, needs work...
        91 accord lx sedan, needs work...

Comment

Something new occured to me just now...when I go over speedbumps and such I hear a creking noise, similar to stepping on loose boards in an old house. Is that the shock mount that I'm hearing? I've seen that particular part flying around some online stores and it mentioned something like creaking noises. Anybody else have or have fixed this problem?

Thanks for all the great info, BTW!
          Fix your Computer!

┌─┐
          ┴─┴
          ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Originally posted by Masamune View Post
            Something new occured to me just now...when I go over speedbumps and such I hear a creking noise, similar to stepping on loose boards in an old house. Is that the shock mount that I'm hearing? I've seen that particular part flying around some online stores and it mentioned something like creaking noises. Anybody else have or have fixed this problem?

Thanks for all the great info, BTW!
            that is usually the sway bar bushings. if you look at them, they're probably dried out and cracked.

i honestly wouldn't change the springs unless they break. later.
            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
              that is usually the sway bar bushings. if you look at them, they're probably dried out and cracked.

i honestly wouldn't change the springs unless they break. later.
              Or Endlinks.

Well, it could be a number of things. Hard to diagnose without driving the car/hearing the noise.

If you would like a good accurate rundown, take it to your local Honda dealer for a free 25 point inspection.
              They will tell you everything your car needs.
              Then you have the option of getting it done there, doing it yourself, or having your mechanic perform the repairs.
              If i were you, i'd let the professionals do it. Nothing beats peace of mind.

Comment

nothing also beats self satifaction.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE View Post
                  If i were you, i'd let the professionals do it. Nothing beats peace of mind.
                  the professionals are just people like you and me who have taken the time to learn, instead of being lazy and relying on others to do the work for them.
                  Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                  Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                  Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                  Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                  Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                  Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

for me the squeeky spongy noise was the strut itself.
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                      for me the squeeky spongy noise was the strut itself.
                      Thanks for the help guys, I'll update this thread with what happens as it happens. I'm gonna let this fall by thw wayside for now though...

Fix your Computer!

┌─┐
                      ┴─┴
                      ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Buy the Tokico HP kit with shocks (blue color) & springs (red color). I've done before & after measurements and can verify it will lower your front 0.75 inches and rear 1.0-1.25". You will not need any camber kit either, it will pass alignment.

The ride is similar to stock, but it handles better. It lasted me 45,XXX miles with no problems, until I decided to put H&R sport springs on these shocks and blew them out. You'll be fine if you stick with this system and keep it (wish I did).

Pricing is very reasonable, definitely affordable.
                        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Be careful and check immediatly. The squeak is usually the sound of a bad ball joint.

to check for this, jack the car up, put the car on jack stands. Then take your jack, and jack up by the lower control arm. Do not lift the car off of the jack stand by the control arm. You are just trying to unload the ball joint. Maybe bring the wheel an inch and a half up.

Get a prybar or long screw driver, and pry up on the lower ball joint, between the spindle and the knuckle. there should be NO movement. If there is, replace the ball joint.

Grab the wheel at your 12 and 6 o'clock and shake the wheel. If there is any play, you likley have a bad upper ball joint. You can usually squeeze the upper control arm down onto the spindle and feel/see the play there.

If your upper and lower ball joints are tight, grab it at the 9 and 3. If there is play, you may have an inner or outter tie rod loose. You can usually hear this going over bumps as a clunk, but sometimes they may just squeak. Tie rods may not always squeek when you turn the wheel.

If you grab the wheel at the 12 and 6, and there is play, but your ball joints check out, and grab your wheel at the 9 and 3 and there is play, but your tie rods are tight, then grab your wheel at the 7:30 and 2:30 and check for play. If play exists, You may have a bad wheel bearing. This will not cause the squeek you heard, but is important.

Make sure you dont have a ball joint falling out before you go any further with your suspension.

As for your suspension question, I'm having the same dilema right now, and I'm planning on using gr2's with new stock springs.
                          -Big3racing.net-
                          My Build Thread. Many pics.

Comment

Working...
                          X