the best suspension setup for 800-900 bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the best suspension setup for 800-900 bucks

as the title says i am looking for a good suspension setup for my cb. i will be getting 17's for the car once i get the suspension squared away. i have read many threads on here and i am still not sure about what setup to go with. coilovers or a spring and strut combo? i dont want any issues with camber so im sure i will also be purchasing a camber kit so i will need recommendations on that as well. i know this sort of thread has been asked many times and trust me i have been reading threads on this subject since i joined this site. i dont really know alot about suspensions so any advice and help is definitly appreciated. i want a good ride but i also want to be able to be as low as possible without having to roll the fenders or have any banging issues with the balljoints or control arms. this is my dd and wont be going to the track much but i want the versatility to go if i so chose to. i have been looking at ksport coilovers on ebay and found a coilover setup for about 850 just not sure if its the setup i want cuz i did read they have rust issues after a while. please help!!

d2 or function and forms is my first choices.

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Spring/Shock combo = Koni Yellows with Ground Control sleeves
      Full coilover = Function & Form Type-II

If I had the money, I'd get the Koni/GC combo.

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
        Spring/Shock combo = Koni Yellows with Ground Control sleeves
        Full coilover = Function & Form Type-II

If I had the money, I'd get the Koni/GC combo.
        Koni/gc setup vs Function&Form TypeII

after owning D2's i wont buy another set. the ride quality is good for a track. but a lil to stiff for the streets.
        MR:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=150506

CHAMPCOUPE IS BACK !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4thgen View Post
          d2 or function and forms is my first choices.
          i have heard d2's have clearance issues and are noisy. and i cant find function and forms for less than $1000 dollars, and ideas where is a good place to get suspension parts for decent prices?

Comment

get form and function type 1

you not going to track.... so there is no need to really adjust any damper.

I got my type 1 for $567. look at the previous post on this section you will find out how.

and use other $300 on other things

Comment

Any true coilovers you get, may it be D2, F&F II, KSport, Megan Racing, or BC Racing, you will have to be ready to spend more money to upgrade your bushings and get yourselves a set of GOOD tires....Running true coilovers without upgraded bushings and good tires is when you will get that 'harsh' ride quality, because by doing so, the coilovers will not work the way they are supposed to..Instead, your old bushings and shit tires will absorb all the bumps on the road, and that's why you won't get a good ride quality..Trust me on this!!!

With good bushings and a good set of tires, you will realize that a true monotube damper coilover setup is smoother than any spring/shock combos out there..Stiffer, definitely..But no bounce or whatsoever, as long as you set your dampers properly..I'm running MR coilovers with 14K up front and 8K rear, and the ride is much smoother and much more comfortable than my old H&R Race/Koni Yellows combo, even though my old setup is quite a bit softer than my current setup..

But when it comes to coilovers, any of those mentioned above will suffice...Just pick your colour I've tried literally all I mentioned above, and have had no problems with any of them...BC Racing runs the biggest piston damper (46mm), which makes it the smoothest coilovers so far..Megan Racing and KSport both runs 44mm, but KSports are naturally designed a little on the stiff side compared to MR...F&F Type-II are great, although a little too soft for me...D2s are also great, no complaints or whatsoever..Both Megan Racing and KSports come with pillowball mounts, while the rest come with bushings...I'm unsure about D2 though, I can't exactly remember at the moment whether they come with bushings or pillowball tops...BC Racing is black and red, KSport is orange, MR & F&F are red, D2 is purple...Essentially, they are all the same, with slight differences for different preferences..

I haven't seen any problems with any of them, nor have I heard any complaints about them..Mind you all the cars that they are installed in are all properly set-up to run coilovers..Good bushings and good tires with super stiff sidewalls are a MUST!! Or else you won't get the full potential out of these babies As for rust, it all depends on where you live, whether or not you drive your car during heavy snowy winter days with all that salt on the road, and how often you clean them...If you daily your car through the snowy weather, and you never bothered once to wash the underside of your car and make sure the coilovers are free of salt, then no matter which coilovers you get, they WILL rust after a while

I have also tried both Tein SS and Tein basics...I personally hate them, I don't think you get what you pay for when it comes to those...But they ARE soft...So soft that even without upgraded bushings and good tires they will still be comfortable enough that you won't complain about 'harsh' ride quality you get when running the other true coilover setups...

Hope that helps!

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
                Any true coilovers you get, may it be D2, F&F II, KSport, Megan Racing, or BC Racing, you will have to be ready to spend more money to upgrade your bushings and get yourselves a set of GOOD tires....Running true coilovers without upgraded bushings and good tires is when you will get that 'harsh' ride quality, because by doing so, the coilovers will not work the way they are supposed to..Instead, your old bushings and shit tires will absorb all the bumps on the road, and that's why you won't get a good ride quality..Trust me on this!!!

With good bushings and a good set of tires, you will realize that a true monotube damper coilover setup is smoother than any spring/shock combos out there..Stiffer, definitely..But no bounce or whatsoever, as long as you set your dampers properly..I'm running MR coilovers with 14K up front and 8K rear, and the ride is much smoother and much more comfortable than my old H&R Race/Koni Yellows combo, even though my old setup is quite a bit softer than my current setup..

But when it comes to coilovers, any of those mentioned above will suffice...Just pick your colour I've tried literally all I mentioned above, and have had no problems with any of them...BC Racing runs the biggest piston damper (46mm), which makes it the smoothest coilovers so far..Megan Racing and KSport both runs 44mm, but KSports are naturally designed a little on the stiff side compared to MR...F&F Type-II are great, although a little too soft for me...D2s are also great, no complaints or whatsoever..Both Megan Racing and KSports come with pillowball mounts, while the rest come with bushings...I'm unsure about D2 though, I can't exactly remember at the moment whether they come with bushings or pillowball tops...BC Racing is black and red, KSport is orange, MR & F&F are red, D2 is purple...Essentially, they are all the same, with slight differences for different preferences..

I haven't seen any problems with any of them, nor have I heard any complaints about them..Mind you all the cars that they are installed in are all properly set-up to run coilovers..Good bushings and good tires with super stiff sidewalls are a MUST!! Or else you won't get the full potential out of these babies As for rust, it all depends on where you live, whether or not you drive your car during heavy snowy winter days with all that salt on the road, and how often you clean them...If you daily your car through the snowy weather, and you never bothered once to wash the underside of your car and make sure the coilovers are free of salt, then no matter which coilovers you get, they WILL rust after a while

I have also tried both Tein SS and Tein basics...I personally hate them, I don't think you get what you pay for when it comes to those...But they ARE soft...So soft that even without upgraded bushings and good tires they will still be comfortable enough that you won't complain about 'harsh' ride quality you get when running the other true coilover setups...

Hope that helps!

Ronald
                this helps alot and it seems like you definitly know suspensions which is the kind of help i need do you happen to know where i can get any of these coilover setups with decent prices. also which bushings will need to be upgraded? and which tires would you recommend with 17 inch rims. also im sure i will also need a front and rear camber kit any suggestions on those as well?

Comment

F&F Type I's - Weksos - ~$600 (website isn't working, but you can PM them on Honda-Tech and get a damn good price)

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2386546

SPC Adjustable Upper Balljoints - eBay - $180

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPC-N...Q5fAccessories

For the rear, you can either

1) User washers and the stock arm to correct the camber

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=56281

And you would want to buy the full Prothane Kit

Prothane Master Bushing kit - Summit - $200

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-8-2013/

OR

2) Buy adjustable Rear UCA's

Ingall's Adjustable Rear UCA's - eBay - $150

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ingal...Q5fAccessories

and

Prothane Master Bushing kit w/o Rear UCA bushings - Summit - $160

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-8-2006/

Tires are a very picky area, far beyond the reach of this thread. I would search around a lot and see what others have to say about the tires. Asking, "which tire should I get?" will get you 100's of answers. You need to figure that question out based on reviews and testimonials posted up.

That being said, I have Nitto Neogen's and they seem to do alright. Falken Azeni's are another popular choice, but they can be pretty sketchy when it's wet out.
                  Last edited by Tnwagn; 09-25-2009, 09:31 AM.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                  Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Ive got some good used OMNI;s for sale right now if you're interested.

Make me an offer

Oh yeha ... for tires..

I used to have Yokohama A048 Advans on one of my cars ... AWESOME TIRES for sure

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                    dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

Originally posted by cb7lover1982 View Post
                      this helps alot and it seems like you definitly know suspensions which is the kind of help i need do you happen to know where i can get any of these coilover setups with decent prices. also which bushings will need to be upgraded? and which tires would you recommend with 17 inch rims. also im sure i will also need a front and rear camber kit any suggestions on those as well?

if you take a look at his MR thread, he's taken apart ALL of his suspension and replaced all the bushings and all. he knows his stuff. lol. but like said earlier, your not tracking your car on a regular basis so getting something that has like 24 and 32-way adjustability is kinda redundant.

heres something for you:

Func./Form Type I's. $630 shipped from weaksauceparts.org.

Progress rear sway bar:
                      $180 shipped
                      http://www.progressauto.com/products.../productID/442

replace your old bushings with new OEM or Poly-urethane bushings. they sell the entire kit on tasautparts.com:
                      http://tasautoparts.com/Product/Browse.aspx?d=1722&p=1

so for at least $900 you have a nice coilover set up, rear sway bar and your bushings replaced. since you said this was your DD, me and Ronald(and maybe a few others who posted) can understand where your coming from. you wont have to roll your fenders unless your running a rim with a low offset and tires to match. im running 16X7.5" rims with 195/503 and dont rub a bit.

Comment

Is people ignoring my way of getting f&f type 1 for 567??? From weaksauce eBay store ... I feel like a middle child.

Comment

Originally posted by XcluziveAZN View Post
                          Is people ignoring my way of getting f&f type 1 for 567??? From weaksauce eBay store ... I feel like a middle child.
                          You saved $30 because you paid for them through PayPal. I don't have PayPal, and don't really feel the need to go through the trouble of getting it just to save $30. I'd rather purchase it with me credit card and skip out eating one night that week.

1999 BMW M3
                          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                            if you take a look at his MR thread, he's taken apart ALL of his suspension and replaced all the bushings and all. he knows his stuff. lol. but like said earlier, your not tracking your car on a regular basis so getting something that has like 24 and 32-way adjustability is kinda redundant.

heres something for you:

Func./Form Type I's. $630 shipped from weaksauceparts.org.

Progress rear sway bar:
                            $180 shipped
                            http://www.progressauto.com/products.../productID/442

replace your old bushings with new OEM or Poly-urethane bushings. they sell the entire kit on tasautparts.com:
                            http://tasautoparts.com/Product/Browse.aspx?d=1722&p=1

so for at least $900 you have a nice coilover set up, rear sway bar and your bushings replaced. since you said this was your DD, me and Ronald(and maybe a few others who posted) can understand where your coming from. you wont have to roll your fenders unless your running a rim with a low offset and tires to match. im running 16X7.5" rims with 195/503 and dont rub a bit.
                            so 200 for the bushing set 180 for the sway bar and 630 for the coilovers that is 1010 which is a little more than i wanted to spend but still not bad. how low will this make my car. i want to fill in as much of the wheel gap as possible without fucking anything up. also what about camber kits any suggestions?????
                            Last edited by cb7lover1982; 09-26-2009, 01:01 AM. Reason: incorrect spelling

Comment

Originally posted by cb7lover1982 View Post
                              so 200 for the bushing set 180 for the sway bar and 630 for the coilovers that is 1010 which is a little more than i wanted to spend but still not bad. how low will this make my car. i want to fill in as much of the wheel gap as possible without fucking anything up. also what about camber kits any suggestions?????
                              well just get the coilovers and rear sway for now then. but i would suggest getting all that stuff done at one time if you can. but piece it together tho. get the coilovers. the next month get the bushings. next month get the sway bar. and then pick 2 days to get it all installed.

the Func./Form Type I's, you can slam the car if you want. but unless you get all your bushings replaced, doing it would be pointless. you'll end up having to replace all of those bushing in the end. sad part is you might end up having some of those bushings go bad at the wrong time.

as far as a camber kits, ingalls seem to be good and i havent heard any complaints....

Comment

Working...
                              X