X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lowering spindle/knuckle

http://www.westshorefabricators.com/...t_Spindles.htm

THIS is what we need!

only thing like this I can find for honda's...these are for civics...grrr. Say you have to have at least 15" rims with these.

Need to make some for the accords. When you lower with just coilovers...the a-arms aren't straight, but angled up...all the time...not good...altered geometry...yes? I don't like that.

with spindles, you don't have that...thoughts?
    ____

The ideal solution to lowering the front end. Far better than shorter springs, with all the geometric problems they can create. Added bonus is not sacrificing suspension travel.
    Regards from Oz,
    John.

Comment

im just going to get a CRX in order to have the spindles.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Great product

Not a large enough market for them to make a CB application

Pipe dream

Originally posted by Maple50175
        Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

one day...I shall make these...but after I'm president
          ____

Comment

I wanna make some of these, along with uppers and lowers. But I need the material and tools. If you want a set go talk to the circle track racers, mainly late model and supers. They have complete custom spindles.That and if you make them you can make them with camber already built in.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
            "The Turtle"
            DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

the arms don't need modification...with these you could even use OEM spring/shocks...no lowering coilovers or lowering struts needed...

I might need to talk with them...prolly be hella expensive
              ____

Comment

To first make them yeah. You can pick up fab. knuckle for a super or late model for about 80 bucks. The hard part would be making the first one and then making the same one again and again. But thats what a jig is for.

"The Turtle"
                DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

the spindle is a solid piece...I would also want a solid piece...you can't weld that...guess it's possible...have to see
                  ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                    the spindle is a solid piece...I would also want a solid piece...you can't weld that...guess it's possible...have to see
                    It's possible, got a CNC milling machine?

A one off would be relatively easy to make, if you're willing to weld or braze the OE forging (nickel bronze brazing would be my choice).

You'd need an extension to lower the bottom ball joint (relative to the hub axis), which I think may be comercially available(??). You could then cut and shut the upper leg of the 'knuckle' to lower the upper BJ, brazing the cut parts together (probably with some additional reinforcement also brazed on).

It may be necessary to fabricate a new top BJ mount depending on how things line up and what clearances exist, and / or change the top BJ for something like a spherical rod end.

There would be a limitation on just how far the upper BJ could be lowered due to the top of the tyre interfering with the upper BJ. It would be possible to move the upper BJ inboard of the tyre, but this would increase the KPI (i.e. 'king pin inclination', aka SAI or 'steering axis inclination'), which is quite undesireable because then you'd have too much KPI just like Mac Struts do...

This is something to consider, whether or not the pictured 'knuckles' have increased the KPI angle by moving the upper BJ inward in order to clear the tyre, which would have undesirable affects on steered camber changes as well as altering the scrub radius, possibly substantially. This would also affect the upper wishbone length and thus affect the bump / rebound camber curve (i.e. the manner in which camber changes with suspension motion), as well as more esoteric geometry such as the migration (with suspension movement) of the 'virtual swing arm' instant centres, and thus affect the degree to which the geometric roll centre moves with roll motion etc...

There's a lot of worms waiting to wriggle out of that jar...
                    Last edited by johnl; 06-22-2009, 06:48 AM.
                    Regards from Oz,
                    John.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                      I just looked a little closer. Those 'knuckles' are actually fabricated, it's just the powder coating that makes them look as if they were hewn from billet, at a glance...
                      Regards from Oz,
                      John.

Comment

agreed...the knowledge and exp. needed to do this is far greater than what I have regardless though of how they are made

And no...don't have a cnc machine...how I wish

So here's the next question...regarding the typical method of lowering a car.

Assuming we are talking only a 1.5" drop...MAYBE 2" drop...what deficits are there to the handling of the car by doing the drop via typical methods? That being a lowered perch...via adjustable coilovers or struts with set perch heights. Of course assuming you had your camber/caster and toe corrected.

Would the shorter knuckle or raised hub actually be that much of a gain over any deficits created by the typical method (if any)? And not considering the added cost and effort that is of making the knuckle...cause that just blows it out of the water.

Seems to me that using a lowered perch on the strut keeps the upper arms constantly angled up...and that would have a negative effect on handling...I don't know if it would have a negative effect...it's not how it was designed to be so I assume it has a bad effect...but I dunno

I know we've seen the post with the civic spinning out after weaving in and out of traffic...but that seems more like a dumb ass combined with bad weight distribution problem to me and not the result of altered suspension geometry resulting from being lowered by typical methods.

sorta several questions loaded up there...my bad
                        Last edited by bcjammerx; 06-22-2009, 07:20 AM.
                        ____

Comment

the spindles are are an interesting idea.....
                          bUT HOW MUCH????

Comment

Originally posted by zack_odom View Post
                            the spindles are are an interesting idea.....
                            bUT HOW MUCH????
                            If you know the right people with the right tools and knowledge. Maybe a case of beer and the matrial.

"The Turtle"
                            DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Has anyone got a Price

Just wondering if anyone knows the price they are charging for them.

I have access to an owner of a machine shop who has mass production billet cnc tools. He Specializes in small order parts and is one of those guys that will do it just for the challenge. If we find out what others are charging and if we are close to breaking even with an order he may just knock off some of the cost.

I would need some help from more experienced suspension minded people to get dimensions and designs, then I can ask him what he would charge?

Just a thought.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X