Lowered Comfort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
    That 3g picture is a DIY way for more suspension travel. The "legit" ones are called extended top hats. The only company I've found that makes them is Ground Control and are very expensive.

I will start making some(1" taller) as soon as my welder gets in.

If you want to be low with a nice, stock like ride, get some custom ground controls. Have them be like 250/200. Pair them up with some Koni Yellows and you'll be golden.
    i dont even think ground control makes the extended top hats for our vehicles...so you would be the originator for the cb7 if you started making them.

My Members Ride Thread
    Originally posted by deevergote
    You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
      this is very creative but dont cheap out on suspension. if u want a 2.5" drop with oem feel get dropzones shocks and lowering springs. ive heard omnipower is comfy. l8r
      Omnipower coilovers are USUALLY 10 or 12 kg/mm, or 560 lb/in or 670 lb/in. Their coil sleeves are 450/340 lb/in.
      I would consider Dropzone cheaping out, personally.

That 3g picture is a DIY way for more suspension travel. The "legit" ones are called extended top hats. The only company I've found that makes them is Ground Control and are very expensive.

I will start making some(1" taller) as soon as my welder gets in.

If you want to be low with a nice, stock like ride, get some custom ground controls. Have them be like 250/200. Pair them up with some Koni Yellows and you'll be golden.
      I was a little afraid of bottoming out with 250/200 GC sleeves lowered to 2"+. Is this a valid fear? Or am I scared of nothing?

Also, it sounds like you have reason to believe that you CAN raise the top hats by 1". That already is a good amount of clearance. Very good to hear.

Comment

Well, some custom valved shocks can stop that.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

I just recently bought strut tops for this same reason. When my fullbody coilovers wear out on me i plan to getting GC & Koni yellows and do the top hats method.

But are those bolts galvinize(sp?) bolts?
          Vouches: Bruno8747, 1badwag, Excalibur02, Bliz07, Slick, Gloryaccordy, H23CB7.

Comment

that just does not look safe ... my FF type 1 are nice. not very stiff at all and I don't bottom out (only on speed bumps) and I'm actually about a half inch lower than the pic in my sig ... I would just get the custom GC set up or a full coil over set up and I think you would be a lot safer and happier ...

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

Hmm, yeah I just remember. FF type 1's have a very stock-ish like ride. They're pretty sloppy as far as handling goes(just like stock) and it almost feels like the shocks are blown. But they are pretty comfortable if you can stand the little extra stiffness from the coilovers.

Comment

Hmm, yeah I just remember. FF type 1's have a very stock-ish like ride. They're pretty sloppy as far as handling goes(just like stock) and it almost feels like the shocks are blown. But they are pretty comfortable if you can stand the little extra stiffness from the coilovers.
                Is this from personal experience?

I've had my FF1 for about 2 months now and yes they get softer after a week of driving on them, but in no way do they feel sloppy. Now i have upgraded my bushings also to poliurithane and im running 215/35-18 (side wall have no give) so my ride is very responsive and in no way as soft as stock. but I would deffinatelly say there not stiff enogh for track use ether. I guess there right in the middle.

BTW I had ebay coil overs on brand new monroe shocks before this for 3 years ...

To the OP ... if you want close to stock, not to stiff, but still responsive I would recoment the FF1 ...

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

There is definitely some room to make some extended top-hats. Exactly how much room is what I am not sure of.
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter
                  [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by kapone View Post
                    Is this from personal experience?

I've had my FF1 for about 2 months now and yes they get softer after a week of driving on them, but in no way do they feel sloppy. Now i have upgraded my bushings also to poliurithane and im running 215/35-18 (side wall have no give) so my ride is very responsive and in no way as soft as stock. but I would deffinatelly say there not stiff enogh for track use ether. I guess there right in the middle.

BTW I had ebay coil overs on brand new monroe shocks before this for 3 years ...

To the OP ... if you want close to stock, not to stiff, but still responsive I would recoment the FF1 ...
                    Personal experience, yes. Not personally owned though. PR CB7 has FF type 1's and they honestly suck. You think they're great because well, you previous suspension was complete crap. My BLOWN AGX shocks w/ neuspeed races handle MUCH better than his car does.

Gary, I've measured the front space and I'll be able to get away with just under an inch of extension. The rears, I think there's probably 3/4 if I'm lucky. Either way, it's a big help.

Comment

I still wonder why people buy setups with no rebound or compression adjustability. If you don't like the way the setup rides, street or track, too soft or too firm, you're stuck with a compromise.

I agree with the koni yellow/ground control setup idea. Get custom rates that are on the softer side, lower the car where you want it, and start playing with your dampers.
                      There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

max top hat you can do 1.25 (koni) with 2 in pipe
                        scion Tc
                        HONDA FIT

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                          I still wonder why people buy setups with no rebound or compression adjustability. If you don't like the way the setup rides, street or track, too soft or too firm, you're stuck with a compromise.

I agree with the koni yellow/ground control setup idea. Get custom rates that are on the softer side, lower the car where you want it, and start playing with your dampers.
                          You're still stuck with limited travel.

I want to get my hands on some AGXs, but given how much they bitch about drop heights for the warranty I would bet the travel on them is limited, and the perch sits higher than stock.

The height you sit at makes a HUGE difference in ride quality. I have 440/300 sleeves on my car now with Illuminas. When I was at the height in my sig it rode like absolute shit. I raised it up to maybe a little lower than a Neuspeed Sport drop (about 13"-13.5" from fender to wheel center) and now it's pretty tolerable even on shitty NYC streets.

As far as that setup, I would definitely want something welded up over something with bolts like that. All it takes is one jolt to strip those bolts clean. It wouldn't take much for someone to rig up something like this

Even still though that wouldn't solve the UCA issue. Best bet, don't go too low if bumps + comfort are a problem, and def. go with Koni Yellows over all else

Originally posted by lordoja
                          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Personal experience, yes. Not personally owned though. PR CB7 has FF type 1's and they honestly suck. You think they're great because well, you previous suspension was complete crap. My BLOWN AGX shocks w/ neuspeed races handle MUCH better than his car does.

I thought the point of the OP is not a racing suspension but one that is as comfortable as stock (which is why he wants to extend the hat tops) ... Like i stated in my post the FF1 are to soft to race. So for what the OP needs i think there great. You say handle better and your probably right. But with stiffer handling comes harsher ride, which is what the OP did not want.

And yes my previous suspension was complete crap ... BUT i also worked at a suspension shop installing and aligning suspensions for a living. So I got the pleasure of driving a lot of different cars on a lot of different products. So my opinion of the FF1 is not just from my own vehicle ...

Comment

Yea with decent shocks the rates on FF1s can feel downright soft. I haven't ridden in them but I rode in a car w/Omni streets and the ride was a little bouncy but not unbearable. Def. didn't feel like damn near triple the stock rates

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post

The height you sit at makes a HUGE difference in ride quality. I have 440/300 sleeves on my car now with Illuminas. When I was at the height in my sig it rode like absolute shit. I raised it up to maybe a little lower than a Neuspeed Sport drop (about 13"-13.5" from fender to wheel center) and now it's pretty tolerable even on shitty NYC streets.
                                Yeah when it comes down to it, susp travel is an important resource for ride quality. Granted you have to have soft enough spring and shock settings to make use of it, but without some room for the suspension to work out the bumps, tooth fillings will be flying everywhere.

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                                As far as that setup, I would definitely want something welded up over something with bolts like that. All it takes is one jolt to strip those bolts clean. It wouldn't take much for someone to rig up something like this

Even still though that wouldn't solve the UCA issue. Best bet, don't go too low if bumps + comfort are a problem, and def. go with Koni Yellows over all else
                                That set up looks far more sturdy. Could even be mistaken for a stock piece.
                                Sounds like Koni Yellows are the only way to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X