Lowered Comfort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowered Comfort

I've been trying to make my Accord more of a cruiser. While my current ride quality is decent, I get the feeling that the spring rate (roughly 450/300) on my Neuspeed Race springs is really messing with my ride quality. But, there's no way in hell I'm not going back to stock ride height to get stock spring rates.

And stock spring rates on a 2"+ lowering springs will most likely lead to destroyed bump stops.

So here goes the question. What's holding me back from running springs like the Tein S-tech that have a soft spring rate (roughly 250/160), cutting them until I get back to about a 2.2" drop, and then running elevated spring perches, a la:

Picture credits to the '09 Atlanta Meet thread.

Theoretically, this would get me back to a respectable drop, give me soft spring rates, and give me the shock travel necessary to avoid bump stop devastation.

Someone tell me what I'm missing and shoot down my plan.
    Or, if someone can think of a better way of staying low but having a decent spring rate, fire away.
    When I get a chance, I'll try to gather more spring rate figures.

does it clear the hood?

Comment

wtf thats creative thinking.

Comment

I would assume that if this person did it, then the hood clearance is fine. Next time I'm around the car, I'll try to see how much hood-clearance we actually have.

Yeah, it's creative. I remember seeing it done before, I THINK in grassroots motorsports magazine. Where ever it was, they used fairly thick metal piping in place of the three bolts. Not to knock the CB7 set up, but the metal tube looked a fair bit more sturdy.

Comment

ya or at least grade8 bolts

Comment

do you think this would stop that obnoxious bang noise we get from the upper control arm hiting the wheel well

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
              I've been trying to make my Accord more of a cruiser. While my current ride quality is decent, I get the feeling that the spring rate (roughly 450/300) on my Neuspeed Race springs is really messing with my ride quality. But, there's no way in hell I'm not going back to stock ride height to get stock spring rates.

And stock spring rates on a 2"+ lowering springs will most likely lead to destroyed bump stops.

So here goes the question. What's holding me back from running springs like the Tein S-tech that have a soft spring rate (roughly 250/160), cutting them until I get back to about a 2.2" drop, and then running elevated spring perches, a la:

Picture credits to the '09 Atlanta Meet thread.

Theoretically, this would get me back to a respectable drop, give me soft spring rates, and give me the shock travel necessary to avoid bump stop devastation.

Someone tell me what I'm missing and shoot down my plan.
              Or, if someone can think of a better way of staying low but having a decent spring rate, fire away.
              When I get a chance, I'll try to gather more spring rate figures.
              wasnt that on a 3g accord? I could be wrong tho.
              1993 Accord LX - Sold
              93 BMW 525it - SOLD
              92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
              2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
              2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
              2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
              2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
              2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Originally posted by wagonz View Post
                do you think this would stop that obnoxious bang noise we get from the upper control arm hiting the wheel well
                Not especially. In fact by doing this mod, we would be allowing ourselves to use a lower spring rate on a lowered car. If anything, the resulting increased ease of upper control arm movement would be inviting more fender banging.

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                Certainly could be... the cruise control unit looks waay too close to the strut tower to be in a CB. Also the intake plenum looks tiny.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post

Certainly could be... the cruise control unit looks waay too close to the strut tower to be in a CB. Also the intake plenum looks tiny.
                  If thats a fact would it even clear the cb hood?
                  1993 Accord LX - Sold
                  93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                  92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                  2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                  2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                  2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                  2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                  2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Like I said to ikayto, I'll have to check next time I'm around the accord. The ATL meet guys sounded pretty hyped up about the potential of using it, so I'm tempted to think it works.

Comment

technically, this is the correct way to lower a car.. so i think you're on the right track in your thinking of getting your comfort with a decent drop.

Comment

lol dont think it'd clear without raising the hood, I couldnt close my hood with my fuse cover on the shock tower because I forgot :P

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                          that LOOKS like a 3g prelude. my prelude has those same exact shock towers but they are supposed to have covers for the lowest hoodline honda evermade, but that application would now be impossible with the suspension set up like that

(notice the three little hooks for application) creative but not really safe in my mind... and on a 3glude NO this would deffinately NOT clear the hoodline. i doubt it would on the accord w/o making noise either. this is very creative but dont cheap out on suspension. if u want a 2.5" drop with oem feel get dropzones shocks and lowering springs. ive heard omnipower is comfy. l8r
                          Last edited by xkjnboix; 05-06-2009, 04:33 AM.
                          frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

That 3g picture is a DIY way for more suspension travel. The "legit" ones are called extended top hats. The only company I've found that makes them is Ground Control and are very expensive.

I will start making some(1" taller) as soon as my welder gets in.

If you want to be low with a nice, stock like ride, get some custom ground controls. Have them be like 250/200. Pair them up with some Koni Yellows and you'll be golden.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Custom GC coils was my suggestion....
                              He's right!

Comment

Working...
                              X