Koni Yellows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

understeer is when the front does not have enough grip

oversteer is when the rear does not have enough grip.
    1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
    newer race video,older race videos
    1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
    1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
      Oversteer is the tendency for the front end to break loose and dive towards the inside of the track.
      No, it's when the rear end "breaks loose" and rotates around the front end. As the resulting slide progresses (uncorrected) the rear end of the car ends up in front of the front end with the car going forward backward...

Front wheel drive cars, like the cb7, inherently have understeer. Every cb7 tuner's goal is to eliminate as much of it as possible to try to give the car neutral handling, which is neither under or oversteer.
      It is possible to go too far and end up with a car that is too tail happy (especially when lifting off throttle mid corner). What most people would think of as 'neutral' handling would still be some degree of understeer.
      Regards from Oz,
      John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
        No, it's when the rear end "breaks loose" and rotates around the front end. As the resulting slide progresses (uncorrected) the rear end of the car ends up in front of the front end with the car going forward backward...

It is possible to go too far and end up with a car that is too tail happy (especially when lifting off throttle mid corner). What most people would think of as 'neutral' handling would still be some degree of understeer.

Thanks for correcting me on a pointless technicality.
        The OP understands it, thats all that matters.
        There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Dammit I want to go ahead and get koni yellows...the driveway would kill the undercarriage of my car though with a 2" drop

and that wasn't a pointless tech... you had it backwards...that's incorrect info
          Last edited by bcjammerx; 03-25-2009, 03:39 AM.
          ____

Comment

Thanks for correcting me on a pointless technicality.
            The OP understands it, thats all that matters.
            It's not a "pointless technicality". What was said is fundamentally incorrect, i.e. while the description of the result of oversteer was more or less (but not entirely) correct, the description of the cause was the exact opposite of what actually occurs.

If it is not understood that the fundamental cause of oversteer is a relative lack of grip at the rear end of the car (not the front), then we have no chance of understanding the nature of the problem nor what might be causing the relative lack of rear grip. Therefore, any attempt we might make to address such a problem is shooting in the dark, or blindly taking on faith what another person tells us.

I think it might be unwise to assume what other people understand or not when given misleading information...
            Regards from Oz,
            John.

Comment

Working...
            X