No announcement yet.

changing worn drum brakes help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200 is wayyy too much money for a brake job done by SOMEBODY. If u have the tools needed, just take your time, when u take something off place in on a towel just how it was on the car. This is the easiest way, when u crack it open look at it for a min, your gonna see how it works, and how it should be taken apart.

Comment

and what if u dont no how to take somehitg of for ex?

Comment

well since this is very important, brakes would be something u don't going wrong. I suggest you have somebody change them for you. 200 just seems too much to me, but then again I'm used to Bronx prices. See if u can get a better deal, and go on from there.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accorddxbuds View Post
          and what if u dont no how to take somehitg of for ex?
          Get a professional to do it. These are brakes we're talking about. Shop around to get the best price.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Yah 200 sounds about right, my g/f's civic needed new rear shoes and the shop was gunna charge her $187 to replace the shoes and resurface the drums. I took the drums off, they were fine, so I just got a set of shoes for $12 and replaced them. It was a bitch. If it had needed new wheel cylinders or drums I would have convinced her to convert to disc. Honda jams everything in there, it's not easy like my old Chevy.

My advice, take apart one side at a time, that way you can reference how it all goes together. If you've never done this before, get a friend who has to help.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

keyword is right tools. ive done it on a suburban but those are dual servo type. 30 minutes a side
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Honestly i would not spend 200 for someone to do them. Go to a store maybe autozone or something ask what tools you would need for the drums. i think its only one tool actually if i can remember right. Do one side at a time so that if you forget how something goes you can look back to the side thats still together and you wont have any problems. Have some grease for the brake shoe tensioner?? something like that. after it all installed at the bottom the tension i beleive, screw it down so it not pushing out on the shoes too much. Then you can loosen it up a bit to spread the shoes out more. throw the drum on and spin it. Listen to hear if the shoes are slightly touching or not. if not then little by little loosen the tensioner. Stop when you can start to hear the shoes rubbin on the drum. There you go. hope you understand that.

My New Ride
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=82630

Comment

yah i don tno i will need new drums to forsure(the big metal sylinders) so that will be a bitch id even now how to take the drums off"?

Comment

the drums are just pulled off after u take the wheel off..if it doesnt want to come off, u spray some wd-40 and hit it with a hammer and it should come out easy.

Comment

ok ok , so once i get that off , then what do i do?

should i just go to like my local parts store, and what should i all ask for?

what parts make up the rear brakes?

Comment

Ask for the brake shoes. You can either use all the hardware thats already included or you can get shoes and hardware new at the parts store i beleive. And ask for the tools i think theres two. One for the springs and one for the shoe hold down springs. also check the cylinder for leaks. can cause a big problem if not fixed. just check the rubber boots for any wet spots. it should be sealed all the way around.
                        Last edited by Haccord21; 03-06-2009, 01:05 AM.

My New Ride

Comment

ps. Maybe. just maybe. If you get the tools. Run to the junkyard ask to go look around. find drum brake on a car and get some practice in. lol when i use to work at the junkyard ide always do it since i didnt have much work other then cleaning. actually helped. and if you fuck up it doesnt matter. well at least its not your problem

My New Ride

Comment

haha yah thats a good i dea i hav eno junkyards remotoely near my house tho so idk about that,
                            and as far as reinstalling the shows and the new drum, will i need to bleed anything?

Comment

Working...
                            X