tie rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tie rods

what kind of tie rods would you guys suggest?

i mean i have autozone tie rods on my white ex and so far they are holding good.
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Napa has good parts, not much more either.
    NEW PSN
    H22wagon

New project. 95 EG HB H22
    RIP

Comment

I actually put on the entire e-bay suspension kit when I very first bought the car. The lower ball joints were crap (Lasted two months). The uppers were OK (Lasted a year, with two tear downs). The tie rods are still on the car. Both the inner and outer are stiff and tight. It makes me think the tie rods are either extreamly low impact, OR for some reason even the garbage ones work fine and/or are well built.

Comment

i think i bought mine from TAS, still havent installed them because im afraid to try the inners, but i trust them because TAS is A+ quality
        OHIO CB7'S #11
        SOLD

Members Ride DevlTuning

Comment

Originally posted by jacobuchanan140 View Post
          i think i bought mine from TAS, still havent installed them because im afraid to try the inners, but i trust them because TAS is A+ quality
          Hardest part on the inners is the boot getting in the way. There is a locknut type thing under the boot then you just thread it out and the new one in. Not to tough at all.

Comment

so if my boots are torn and leaky, i could pull them off, do my inners and outers at the same time, replace the boots, get an alignment and be happy?
            OHIO CB7'S #11
            SOLD

Members Ride DevlTuning

Comment

if you worry so much just go to dealer........

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

so if my boots are torn and leaky, i could pull them off, do my inners and outers at the same time, replace the boots, get an alignment and be happy?
                I would say yes. If I hadn't been able to salvage the boots and was replacing them anyway. They would have seen the box knife real quick.

Comment

ha good deal
                  OHIO CB7'S #11
                  SOLD

Members Ride DevlTuning

Comment

Originally posted by CB7_ACCORD View Post
                    if you worry so much just go to dealer........
                    to get honda to do that they charge like 1300. and 500 of it is the part.
                    well in franklin tn thats the quote i got. its a f en rip off.
                    Accord SE

93se
                    Members Ride
                    Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                    Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

I have TAS outer tie rods on mine and they are great.
                      Good quality parts.

Comment

I highly suggest MOOG, they are beefy... very beefy. MOOG inners use a ball socket on the outter end, so the heavy weight is not moveable and attached to the rack (a good thing).

where as teh autozone ones use the ball socket on the rack end, meaning it supports the heavy weight and the outter tire rod.

also the MOOG outters are greasable, with some nice little grease fittings, it seals using to plates, so you know the tierod is greased all the way around, and if anything happens you can just pump a lil grease in there and your good to go.

replace the boots while your at it with HONDA ones, they are rubber that easily streatches over the rack, where-as the autozone ones are a plastic like material that will break your hands before streatching over the rack. also the nipples that connect each boot on the cheapy's tend to fall out into the rack, which could damage the rack teeth.

also you are correct, just cut the old boot, unscrew the inner tie rod, and dont even worry about disconnecting them. slap the new inner/outter and boot on all at the same time, and go get an allignment and your good to go.

personal note of advice, when you install new boots (or gear bellows as they are called) use zip ties, they are tight enough and easier to remove if needed than the metal bands.

i forgot to use a screwdriver to allow air in when i first installed, and after a test drive the boots where sucked in against the rack... so i had to cut the zip ties, and pump some air in there so both sides where inflated.
                        Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

here is a visual of what i meant by the 2 diffrent inner tie rods. i highlighted in red the part that moves with the outter tie rod

as you can see a heavier piece is supported by the ebay ball/socket joint leading to premature failure
                          Ebay inner:

where as the quality part (MOOG, maybe others) has the large weighted mass secured ridgidly to the rack, as not to put stress on the joint

Quality part:

Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

Moog. I highly recommend them. Those are the ones I am using and they are quality.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
                              Moog. I highly recommend them. Those are the ones I am using and they are quality.
                              Hey Nelson, did the joints you bought come with any hardware other than the actual tie rod itself? Did either come with castle nuts and cotter pins or any seals?

Originally posted by Maple50175
                              Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Working...
                              X