wheel alignment questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel alignment questions?

Ok well a few months ago my passenger rear tire flew off and I have a spare on it now. I bought some spc adjustable balljoints and put them on the front tires. I went to get a wheel alignment and they said they couldn't align it because 1) my car is too low and doesn't fit on the alignment rack 2) I need to have the same rims on all wheels.

Is what they said true?

And also is driving with my wheels unaligned dangerous? Or will I be fine till I buy the new rim?

alone in this game . ::My Ride My Way::

You cant do alignment using one spare wheel on. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. I'm no tyre mechanic. But this is what I was told by the tyre dude I frequent.

Driving around with unaligned wheels will cause excessive tyre wear and also cause your handling to be a bit lairy.

Sometimes, it pulls to the left, sometimes to the right, sometimes it doesn't go straight at all. And when you g over the line markers on the road, the tyres squeal.

Turn left, car goes right.

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
    Honda Accord Euro-R
    Honda Odyssey Absolute
    Honda City I-DSi
    Honda Stream

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard335 View Post
      You cant do alignment using one spare wheel on. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. I'm no tyre mechanic. But this is what I was told by the tyre dude I frequent.

Driving around with unaligned wheels will cause excessive tyre wear and also cause your handling to be a bit lairy.

Sometimes, it pulls to the left, sometimes to the right, sometimes it doesn't go straight at all. And when you g over the line markers on the road, the tyres squeal.

Damn .. That's pretty bad lol .. So what do you guys suggest? I won't be able 2 get the rim and tire for about another month. Should I limit myself from driving it, or not use it at all. I really can't afford to fuck up anything else in my car right now.

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard335 View Post

Damn .. That's pretty bad lol .. So what do you guys suggest? I won't be able 2 get the rim and tire for about another month. Should I limit myself from driving it, or not use it at all. I really can't afford to fuck up anything else in my car right now.

Comment

Bump

Comment

umm you could grab a wheel from the back, have a front end aligned then go back to using the smaller wheel. ummm driving on the smaller wheel shouldn't hurt as long as its the same overall size, keep it on the front incase anything happens that way you can maintain contorl over the vehicle. and get it fixed soon!
            Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

From my experience:

1. Keep matching wheels in the front when possible...
              2. Keep your best two tires in the front when possible...
              3. Get an alignment once 1 & 2 have been met.

Your front wheels are doing two things for you. They are used to steer so that when you turn the steering wheel your car goes exactly where you want it to go. That is supremely important.

The front wheels on our cars are also the drive wheels...they make the car go when you step on the gas. This is also very important obviously.

Because the front wheels do these things for you (especially the steering part) and will sometimes be doing both at once, I don't like to put off anything that will ensure that I have maximum grip in the front.

If you can get this taken care of quickly, then you should do so. Put the donut in the back.
              Ray
              1992 EX Sedan, Manual
              CB7Tuner Illuminati Member #: 18362

JGY Honda

Comment

Originally posted by i_rebel View Post
                From my experience:

1. Keep matching wheels in the front when possible...
                2. Keep your best two tires in the front when possible...
                3. Get an alignment once 1 & 2 have been met.

Your front wheels are doing two things for you. They are used to steer so that when you turn the steering wheel your car goes exactly where you want it to go. That is supremely important.

The front wheels on our cars are also the drive wheels...they make the car go when you step on the gas. This is also very important obviously.

Because the front wheels do these things for you (especially the steering part) and will sometimes be doing both at once, I don't like to put off anything that will ensure that I have maximum grip in the front.

If you can get this taken care of quickly, then you should do so. Put the donut in the back.
                Ok I just found out that its not on a spare. Its on the oem tire (without the hubcaps). The alignment place I went to said that I couldn't align just the front wheels since its a honda accord, I need to align all four. The oem wheel is on the left rear of the car.
                What other options do I have and what do you guys mean by put the spare in the bac?

Comment

Originally posted by tear2wo View Post
                  Ok well a few months ago my passenger rear tire flew off and I have a spare on it now. I bought some spc adjustable balljoints and put them on the front tires. I went to get a wheel alignment and they said they couldn't align it because 1) my car is too low and doesn't fit on the alignment rack 2) I need to have the same rims on all wheels.

Is what they said true?

And also is driving with my wheels unaligned dangerous? Or will I be fine till I buy the new rim?
                  1 They arent going to align your car anyways.. People dont like to work on a lowered car because in general ... Well umm they are hacked/ they will most likely not be perfect and liabilty.

2 Get four matching wheels.. Number one priorty before alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                    1 They arent going to align your car anyways.. People dont like to work on a lowered car because in general ... Well umm they are hacked/ they will most likely not be perfect and liabilty.

2 Get four matching wheels.. Number one priorty before alignment.
                    Yea I reaized this when they wouldn't install my balljoints for me. they suck!

Comment

Do you have matching front tires atleast?

Also, do you have the front ball joint camber kit or the anchor bolt kit?

You have to go to places that have the drive up alignment machine liek the one we have.

We got that machine about a year ago, and when i had my Slammed Integra i had to get it up on the other machine using floor jacks and wood.
                      I think thats what the shop is trying to avoid.
                      The hassle and the responsibility if your shit falls while getting it up there.

Comment

I got Tn_accord's green wagon on our alignment rack with a couple of 2x4's

I only aligned the front of his car b/c his rear toe adjustment was frozen, I was afraid i would break the bolts off if i loosened them, I told him to soak them in pb blaster and try it again.

Four matching wheels and tires are almost a must, but there are some cases where this is exempt.
                        You can just align the front but it is not recommended, most places only offer 4 wheel now, unless the vehicle has no rear adjusments (I.E. solid axles)

Also set your tire pressure before you go, this is key. I know some alignment techs that forget to do this.

I may have missed some things, im kinda in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Cb7sleeper View Post
                          I got Tn_accord's green wagon on our alignment rack with a couple of 2x4's

I only aligned the front of his car b/c his rear toe adjustment was frozen, I was afraid i would break the bolts off if i loosened them, I told him to soak them in pb blaster and try it again.

Four matching wheels and tires are almost a must, but there are some cases where this is exempt.
                          You can just align the front but it is not recommended, most places only offer 4 wheel now, unless the vehicle has no rear adjusments (I.E. solid axles)

Also set your tire pressure before you go, this is key. I know some alignment techs that forget to do this.

I may have missed some things, im kinda in a hurry.

Thanks guys. Damn so I guess I'm screwed. I guess ill lay off the driving on it till I get the new rim. Then I need to find an alignment shop that'l take time to get my car onto the rack.

Comment

Try a goodyear or an alignment specific shop, Jacob's wagon is slammed. I forgot what his specs were, i have a copy somewhere. it was rediculously out. They may charge you a little more for the alignment but dont let them bend you over. Alignments are the most profitable service a shop can offer believe it or not.

Comment

Working...
                            X