***REVIEW: SKUNK2 Sport Shocks***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***REVIEW: SKUNK2 Sport Shocks***

I haven't seen a review for these shocks yet so here goes...

Purchased off eBay:
    $250 shipped for (4) shocks

Current suspension modifications:
    Neuspeed Race lowering springs
    Skunk2 Sport shocks
    Progress Technology Rear anti-roll bar
    Suspension Techniques front sway bar endlinks kit
    15" EX alloy wheels
    Falken Ziex ZE-912

Installation:
    Fairly easy-to-moderate installation. Had to use a spring compressor to get the Neuspeed springs on and seated because the Skunk2 shocks have a shorter shock arm then most other shock absorbers. There was a little difficulty seating the spring onto the shock and getting the tophat to sit right, but with patience same success. Had to cut bumpstops to accomodate the lowering springs.

Initial review:
    The front and rear sat a little bit higher then with the previous shock set-up (KYB GR-2 fronts, Bilstein HD rears). Ride quality was stiff, but overall not an extremely harsh ride. Rode much better then the previous set-up.

Final review:
    After having driven almost 1,000 miles on these shocks, they have not settled very much height wise. Still sits higher then I want it to and cannot figure out a reason as to why it is. The shorter shock arm leads me to believe that it should sit lower, if anything.

For the price I paid, I am satisfied. The only downfall is that it now sits higher then I expected.

Last words:
    Overall a good purchase. Again, it would have been mint if they had the car sitting the way I want it to. Recommend these shocks as the best-bang-for-your-buck set for anyone looking to upgrade.

***If anyone has experience with these shocks, did you also have issues with the car sitting higher then it should be?

what did you do with your bilsteins and why did you get the skunk2's? i thought bilsteins are a good brand?
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I have them, and the Skunk2 springs. I got a 1.75 inch drop in the front and 2.0 in the rear, I wish it was a bit more, but it definitely decreased wheel gap. I'm a big guy, and the ride is great, nice and smooth, yet responsive when ya need it to be... I'd give em 2

Comment

Ahhh just what I needed to know, thanks guys

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by eriemoto. View Post
          ***If anyone has experience with these shocks, did you also have issues with the car sitting higher then it should be?
          I have them paired with Skunk2 lowering springs.
          I love them personally.
          It took a few weeks for them to settle.
          I'm dropped 2.25" in the front and 2.5" in the rear from my stock height.
          They are much stiffer than stock, but not stiff enough to bounce you around.

1999 BMW M3
          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
            what did you do with your bilsteins and why did you get the skunk2's? i thought bilsteins are a good brand?

the bilsteins are in the garage now. i bought the skunk2's because my gr-2's were on their way out.

also, how far did you guys tighten the tophat locknuts? i know the instructions say 22lb. ft., but i'm just wondering. i think i may not have wound it down enough, leaving me with a higher ride height

Comment

the bilsteins are in the garage now. i bought the skunk2's because my gr-2's were on their way out.

also, how far did you guys tighten the tophat locknuts? i know the instructions say 22lb. ft., but i'm just wondering. i think i may not have wound it down enough, leaving me with a higher ride height
              that doesnt matter since the weight of the vehicle wills et the car's height. i tighten the nut on top until i can see the bushing gets lightly squished.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                that doesnt matter since the weight of the vehicle wills et the car's height. i tighten the nut on top until i can see the bushing gets lightly squished.
                hmmm i wonder why it sits higher then. these are stated to be used with lowering springs and have shorter shock rods...

Comment

hmmm i wonder why it sits higher then. these are stated to be used with lowering springs and have shorter shock rods...
                  The point where the spring sits might be a little higher... or they might just be charged with more gas. I remember when I changed my old shocks, same springs, stock shocks to stock shocks, the car sat higher on the new ones.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I installed these along with Skunk2 lowering springs on Guage's car.
                    At first, the car sat higher in the front than the back.
                    So i took them apart and cut the bumpstop a little bit shorter.
                    Now it sits better.
                    Its nowhere near a Race drop, but thats cool, cause thats what he wanted.

As far as ride quality i will tell him to post here.
                    I only drove the car like 5 miles after installing them.
                    And from driving them those 5 miles i noticed they are stiffer than stocks.
                    You feel the road more, the potholes hit a bit harsh, also the shock rebound is different.

In my opinion are they considered "drop killers"?
                    -A little. Yes.
                    If you're so worried about the final drop go with a nice set of Tokico blue shocks.
                    Just dont be surprised if they go out before the Skunk2's.

Comment

See, I have the exact opposite with mine. It sits higher in the back than in the front, I wanted it to be level, but no such luck. I might try tightening the top nut thing, its only about an inch different from front to back, but I think it looks a bit off. Other than that, the ride is great.

Comment

i have the skunk2 shocks and springs. 2.0 front and 1.8 rear. i do wish it was lower but rides just fine. the car has a more sportier feel but nothing like a brand new car. bumps are okay, almost like stock but not like shit.

Be Clean

Comment

Had these, they were way too soft for the springs I have (8k/6k sleeves). Would only recommend for softer springs,

Comment

i just got these with skunk2 sleeves as well, they ride pretty well so far, i also cut the bumpstops, the front sleeves are all the way down and i at first was not satisfied, but its growing on me i suppose.

also in the instructions there was a note that you can trim the spring perches, or completely remove them and weld them back on in a different spot to go lower...

did anyone have trouble with the front struts not wanting to slide down into the pinch fork? i had to use the jack to compress the suspension up to get the strut into the fork...
                            1990 accord ex - daily beater
                            2006 accord se- family car

mike aka caveman aka coupe aka cd8

Comment

Originally posted by cavemancb7 View Post
                              i just got these with skunk2 sleeves as well, they ride pretty well so far, i also cut the bumpstops, the front sleeves are all the way down and i at first was not satisfied, but its growing on me i suppose.

also in the instructions there was a note that you can trim the spring perches, or completely remove them and weld them back on in a different spot to go lower...

did anyone have trouble with the front struts not wanting to slide down into the pinch fork? i had to use the jack to compress the suspension up to get the strut into the fork...
                              Mine slid right in no homo. My car has like 12 million miles though and did not have a stock suspension when I bought it. Just pry it open a little bit, the bolt will keep it tight.

Comment

Working...
                              X