Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ingalls adjustable ball joint install... Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ingalls adjustable ball joint install... Any advice?

Ok, I'm installing my TASpro upper control arms. They come equipped with the Ingalls adjustable upper ball joint.

Now, I put the arm on, and I'm in the process of tightening the joint. However, I can't get it tight. It just keeps spinning.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Would I be better off removing the arm again and tightening it most of the way off the car?

I read the instructions from Ingalls, but it wasn't as much of a help as it should've been.
    http://www.ingallseng.com/Instructions/35590-35622.pdf

The problem is where it attaches to the knuckle?

Usually with the upper sometimes you have to press it down to get it going.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

The nut for adjustment... It came loose, and I'm trying to tighten it. The joint just spins, though.

Turns out the nuts are oval. Is that normal?

Comment

Comment

u have nice hands deev
          Originally posted by deevergote
          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Is the weight of the car on the joint? If not, try that.
            2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
            Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
            1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

It's the top part of the assembly... the nut used to adjust the camber (not something on a stock setup).

As you can see with the nuts there, they're oval shaped... that's why they wouldn't go on. I just finished putting it all together with hardware-store nuts and washers. It's not a permanent fix, but it should hold for a bit. I'm not planning on driving hard

Comment

Damn I hope this isnt a quality issue because i was considering those. oval nuts

Comment

I've seen some self-locking nuts that were ovalled...and they were tight as hell.

Strange that they would use those.

I'd email them and ask.
                  Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to do that tonight (being Sunday, I'm sure they won't answer today anyway). Using such a nut on an assembly that can rotate is idiotic, though. For now, the bolts that are on there will have to do. If the oval ones are correct, I have to figure out how to get them tight! I could put the joints in a vise and tighten them, but that won't do any good when the camber adjustment is necessary (which is why I'm in a hurry to get these things on... I need to drive the car on Tuesday, and I was planning on having the thing aligned tomorrow!)

Comment

If I'm reading your problem correctly. There should be two flat sides on the under side (on the other side of the control arm) of the ball joint that you should be able to get a big ass spanner/shifter on to stop the whole things spinning while you're tightening.

Also, I think you're missing a washer in those pics from under the nut.
                      Members Ride Thread

Comment

What's the purpose of adj ball joints, it is a camber thing?
                        **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                        Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                        Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by Cam View Post
                          If I'm reading your problem correctly. There should be two flat sides on the under side (on the other side of the control arm) of the ball joint that you should be able to get a big ass spanner/shifter on to stop the whole things spinning while you're tightening.

There was no washer included in the assembly... they were already all together from TASauto. There's a washer there now, under the regular nut that I'm using.

But yeah, I just had a new member tell me the same thing about holding it as I turn the nut. What a dumb design! I guess it's necessary, since it holds so much importance...

And yeah, the adjustable ball joint is for camber correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Cam View Post
                            I thought that too at first...but now, after looking at the pics, it looks like a captive washer.

Or not.

Comment

The lock nuts have ridges on the flared bottom end... i suppose that's a washer replacement? I dunno... I have washers that i used with my hardware store nuts... maybe i'll leave them.

I'm still working on putting traction bar on. I ran out of daylight today (stupid radius rod bolts took FOREVER to get off!) So, I can't drive the car anyway. Perhaps I'll just go invest in a big ass wrench... I don't know when I'm going to get an alignment! Tomorrow is my last day off. If I don't get this stuff done before the Firestone shop closes, I'm going to have to take the GTP, or go steal the ex's car for the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X