Hard feelings with Megan Racing springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard feelings with Megan Racing springs

Hey all! I need some advice on what to do with my suspension system. I regret about 6 months ago when I intially purchased my lowering setup I want it cheap and easy, and didn't bother to save up for something nice. I am running Megan Racing spring on Tokico blue struts, and I can't stand it. Frankly, they scare the shit out of me. I was have a fun ride through Mt. Rainier National Park, with four people in the car, and its a pretty bumpy road, but nothing insane. My car would bottom out and then rebound and my backend would actually shift left or right and break way loose. Scared the crap out of me. I'm trying to figure out if maybe it's just mismatched dampeners, or if its the springs and I should ditch them for something else.

Advice please! And no flaming, I'm not new.
    KYB AGX
    25.00%
    Koni Yellow
    50.00%
    Tokico Illumina
    25.00%
    Other (leave message)
    0.00%

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Coilovers or springs/struts?

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Spring/strut combo.

Comment

You probably do need better dampers (Koni or Bilstein), but driving fast on bumpy roads with four people in the car, don't be surprised if you bottom out and have handling issues!
        Regards from Oz,
        John.

Comment

AGX? I've heard good things about them... Would I notice a huge difference moving to a match spring/strut combo or a complete coilover?

EDIT: The other factor that I was concern about when I bought the springs and installed them, was how far the rears dangle between the mount. It has always been somewhat of a concern to me. I think this puts the strut in the incorrect valve position and therefore it does't operate correctly. Anyone confirm or deny?

Comment

I believe the Tokico Blue's are only supposed to be used with a moderate drop (up to an inch). So if you're slammed with those megan springs you're definitely outside of the struts' capability.....struts made for a lower drop will have a shorter travel distance which should eliminate the spring "dangle" if I'm understanding you correctly that is.

Springs "dangling" is NOT good as every time your rear goes way up in the air from a bump or something they may or may not be settling back into the same place......I say either some sportier struts such as Koni Yellow's or a more moderate spring.....btw your blues are probably already blown if you've been riding them for 6 months on a 2-3" drop.
            My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

yea get real dampeners and report back. im running agx's int he rear and i have no bouncing effect.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                yea get real dampeners and report back. im running agx's int he rear and i have no bouncing effect.
                Ditto, AGX on all corners and nothing close to bouncing (neuspeed race).

Comment

how about bilsteins? or illuminas?
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                    how about bilsteins? or illuminas?
                    those are both really good struts. i like bilsteins but they only make the stock replacement ones and no real performance for the accord application.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                      those are both really good struts. i like bilsteins but they only make the stock replacement ones and no real performance for the accord application.
                      i felt them in prez's car with his prokit drop...agressiave and very responsive.

though they have sport ones for bmw's.....
                      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I've got Ground Control Coilovers w/ KYB AGX's, I love them, so much adjustability in the dampening and the height. Oh and the springs are made by Eibach, so they're pretty good quality stuff. The ride is pretty nice, many of my friends have complimented me on it.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85
                          I believe the Tokico Blue's are only supposed to be used with a moderate drop (up to an inch). So if you're slammed with those megan springs you're definitely outside of the struts' capability.....struts made for a lower drop will have a shorter travel distance which should eliminate the spring "dangle" if I'm understanding you correctly that is.

Springs "dangling" is NOT good as every time your rear goes way up in the air from a bump or something they may or may not be settling back into the same place......I say either some sportier struts such as Koni Yellow's or a more moderate spring.....btw your blues are probably already blown if you've been riding them for 6 months on a 2-3" drop.
                          Okay...that's a good point. I couldn't find struts that were listed as being designed for drops, and someone had said Tokico Blue's were good for this. I got n00b'd I guess. I was looking around online and found the Tokico Sport spring/strut package for about 600, anybody running that?

And back to AGX's for a second. Those running the Megan Springs, do your rear springs not dangle? I really like the stiffness of the Megan springs, but I can't live with this bouncy crap. If a $400 upgrade to AGX's would get me out of that, I'd love it.

Comment

I've got a full Skunk2 set up on my Accord. Spring/strut and the ride is pretty good, they feel responsive, yet don't beat the hell out of me when I go over a speed bump. I've got around a 2 inch drop all the way around with 205/40/17 tires...

Comment

You can get Bilstein to re-valve their HD dampers. Provide them with the drop you have, spring rates, sway bar information, bushing information and where you live, and they will set you up with a really good dampening curve. One of their engineers told me the Bilstein dampers, although not adjustable, are superior to the Koni's because of their monotube design. Apparently the high-pressure HD dampers begin their duty cycle as soon as 2mm into travel, much earlier than the low-pressure, twin tube dampers such as the low end Koni's and so on.

Give their California office a call and speak with a Ramone; he is the one responsible for doing custom valving. I think its only about 150USD for re-valving.

DEVOTE

Comment

Working...
                              X