Need a drop.. and some help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a drop.. and some help.

I'd like to start out by saying that I've read the Lowering 101 & Lowering FAQs, and read many threads on this forum and others.

I want to lower my cb7, it's a daily driver and I'd like to be able to use my stock (about 3 year old) struts for a couple of months while saving up for the new struts. In the mean time, I want lowering springs or coilover sleeves.

Needs:

- I hate unnecessary bouncing. I can deal with some, but none of this;
    - I'd like around 2" if it's a spring, but it needs to work well with a 16x8" +42mm wheel (see sig picture)
    - I'd like to avoid camber kit(s) if possible, but from what I read, this is independent of every car and I may or may not need one.

I've read up on Skunk2 coilover sleeves (about $210-220) but some people say they won't work well with stock struts, while others claim to use them and have no problem with stock struts.

I've also been looking into GroundControl coilover sleeves, which are told to work well with stock struts, but I've read nothing about people using them with stock struts.

Other options I've looked into; Skunk2 Lowering Springs, Tein S. Tech Lowering Springs.. both offer the ride height I desire, from what I read.. and I've heard of people having good luck using them with stock struts.

I don't race or go to the track, I do drive my car often, and to drive-ins quite a bit (where there are dirt roads) and my wife's parent's house (another rough, dirt road).. I also drive my car long distances, sometimes even out of state (hundreds of miles at a time), so they need to withstand that type of abuse as well.

For argument's sake, let's just say that there's no possible way to save up and 'do it right the first time'.

TIA,

-mak

Bought From: MadSpleen85, jimy, CB7_ACCORD (kouzie), Chrisfrom1986
    Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
    Traded With: cb95spd, chessboxer, sohc em
    [ Completed | Pending ]

i'm on sprint springs (2.25) front and rear

with skunk2 struts.

pretty smooth ride, i commute to school everday and i have no complaints about the ride quality. its just a little too soft for my spirited driving in the corners... thats my complaint

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord
      i'm on sprint springs (2.25) front and rear

with skunk2 struts.

pretty smooth ride, i commute to school everday and i have no complaints about the ride quality. its just a little too soft for my spirited driving in the corners... thats my complaint
      I thought you sold your cb7?

Is the one pictured in your sig the one with sprint* coils and skunk2 struts?

-mak
      Last edited by mak; 05-03-2008, 01:53 AM.

Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
      [ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Originally posted by mak
        For argument's sake, let's just say that there's no possible way to save up and 'do it right the first time'.
        Then you won't get perfect results. Cheap shit = Cheap shit

You will be able to find stuff that works with stock struts, but don't expect a great ride. It will most likely be worse than your ride right now. When you get new shocks, it will be better than stock but not excellent.

Also, we need to know a price range to start to point you in the right direction. Obviously you don't have the money to shell out for a super suspension package, but how little are we looking at here? You mentioned staying away from camber kits, but what happens if you find yourself down the road in two months with tires torn to shreds due to camber wear? Then you have to look at camber kits and new tires.

Basically, keep it really conservative with your drop if you are going to stay on stock shocks and without a camber kit.

Originally posted by Maple50175
        Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn
          Then you won't get perfect results. Cheap shit = Cheap shit

You will be able to find stuff that works with stock struts, but don't expect a great ride. It will most likely be worse than your ride right now. When you get new shocks, it will be better than stock but not excellent.

Also, we need to know a price range to start to point you in the right direction. Obviously you don't have the money to shell out for a super suspension package, but how little are we looking at here? You mentioned staying away from camber kits, but what happens if you find yourself down the road in two months with tires torn to shreds due to camber wear? Then you have to look at camber kits and new tires.

Basically, keep it really conservative with your drop if you are going to stay on stock shocks and without a camber kit.
          I don't believe anything I listed was 'cheap shit', and I find it odd that you believe it is..

Regardless, I only said what I said to keep these types of comments out of this thread, since previously read threads have made me aware of the issues I may or may not face when using stock (oem) struts.

As it is, my car rides like a Cadillac. When I hit a bump, I can barely feel it, bumpy roads hardly affect my comfort and potholes give me a small bounce. I know I won't achieve this using lowering springs, but I can't help but nearly laugh at my 4x4 stance (see sig. pic.).

That being said, I don't have a set budget. I'd like something budget-friendly, something that say, someone without unlimited income could afford to put on a 17 year old car and be happy with

I can get Skunk2 springs for about $110-120 shipped, TeinS for about $150 shipped, Skunk2 coilover sleeves for about $280 shipped and GC coilover sleeves for about $320-330 shipped.

TIA,

-mak

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Originally posted by mak

TIA,

-mak
            I think thats more what Tnwagn was refering to.

I dropped mine on stock shocks and ran them for 3 years - Not nice at all.
            Save up and get some good quality shocks and matched springs. Otherwise in 6 months time, you will be wondering why your ride is so bouncy and rides crap.

Do it once, Do it right

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by mak
              I can get Skunk2 springs for about $110-120 shipped, TeinS for about $150 shipped, Skunk2 coilover sleeves for about $280 shipped and GC coilover sleeves for about $320-330 shipped.

TIA,

-mak
              Sorry if I came across a little harsh in the first post.

Anyway, it sounds like you are looking to spend anywhere from 100 to 350 on whatever you get. You also mentioned that you aren't looking to race with what you've got, just something to make your car look good and still handle similarly to how it does now.

These are what some people have said about their suspension setups in the "WHAT suspension set up are you running" thread.

GC coilovers/Eiback springs and stock struts: 6
              i got dropzone coilover sleeves wit stock shocks n struts i give it a... like a 4 yea its a bounce and my rears are blown so its like somebody in da back is gettin busy

I am running H&R Sport springs on stock shocks. I haven't had an alignment yet, but the ride isn't really that bad almost like stock. The handling has definitely improved over stock. I would recommend these springs to anyone going after a sporty look and feel in their suspension

Neuspeed Sports on new Stock shocks. This setup is new to me and I've been running it a month now. I ran original stock springs and shocks on my car till 205,000 miles. The original front shocks were shot on the compression stroke, but okay on the extention....so the car never bounced more that it should. But hitting bumps was harsh. The rears were still okay.

With the new setup I have now, the bumps are still a little harsh because of the springs, but overall handling is good. When comparing the comfort to stock setup, I'll rate it a 7.
              I probably should of got aftermarket shocks up front. Although I'm not sure that would take out the harshness of the bumps. Maybe they would last longer

Tenzo R adjustable coilovers, stock struts!
              I like them for now, but way better than stock
              7!

-stock as fuck shocks
              -skunk2 coils
              Maybe if I would ever get some damn struts, I'd be better. Regardless, these bitches bounce...but as has been stated a few times in this thread, they take corners like a champ

Hope that helps

Originally posted by Maple50175
              Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

wait until you have all the parts, springs, dampers, bushings and then do a full install and alignment.

You save money and you save the springs. When the dampers are too weak, the springs take a lot of the shock loads and then they start to fatigue. When this happens the springs will sag and become soft.

complete job = best choice
                DEVOTE

Comment

Thanks guys for the help.

I'm quitting my job soon and will get another with better pay and benefits (already in the mix ) and will save up for a full coilover setup, rather that dick around with mixing and matching sleeves with struts.

I think I'll go for the Teins, but I need to do more research on 'true' coilovers now to see what will suit me best.

I'll also grab up the front and rear camber kit for my 91 cb7, since I intend to drop it to the full extent for meets, and special occasions.

Any advice on full coilover setups that ride close to stock as far as comfort? Is there such a thing? Also, what can I expect to pay for a full coilover setup?

-mak

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

^^ anywhere upwards of $1000 for a new set of full coilovers.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

im on kyb Gr-2's and ebay
                      the ride is fine some people say it rides better that expensive coil over systems i donno but i like it
                      my whipp

Comment

Coilover sleeves tend to be very bouncy.
                        Stay away!
                        I say get some H&R or Neuspeed race on Tokico Blues.
                        Its going to be a good ride quality.

Just watch out for potholes and entering driveways.
                        Take your time, you want your suspension and everything to last.

Comment

dont do it man... cause sounds like alot of driving... and driving on dirt or off road is a no, no, once the car is drop... it wont be the same anymore man. but, is on you... if u want too. good luck bro.

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha
                            wait until you have all the parts, springs, dampers, bushings and then do a full install and alignment.

You save money and you save the springs. When the dampers are too weak, the springs take a lot of the shock loads and then they start to fatigue. When this happens the springs will sag and become soft.

complete job = best choice
                            don't forget to drive around for a couple of weeks for the springs to settle. i'd just drive around some first, and then get it aligned fully later. your suspension shouldnt be so off that a couple of weeks would cause unsafe vehicle behavior.
                            Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE
                            Coilover sleeves tend to be very bouncy.
                            Stay away!
                            I say get some H&R or Neuspeed race on Tokico Blues.
                            Its going to be a good ride quality.

Just watch out for potholes and entering driveways.
                            Take your time, you want your suspension and everything to last.
                            bounciness is due to improper damper valving, not spring stiffness.
                            Originally posted by mak
                            Thanks guys for the help.

I'm quitting my job soon and will get another with better pay and benefits (already in the mix ) and will save up for a full coilover setup, rather that dick around with mixing and matching sleeves with struts.

I think I'll go for the Teins, but I need to do more research on 'true' coilovers now to see what will suit me best.

I'll also grab up the front and rear camber kit for my 91 cb7, since I intend to drop it to the full extent for meets, and special occasions.

Any advice on full coilover setups that ride close to stock as far as comfort? Is there such a thing? Also, what can I expect to pay for a full coilover setup?

-mak
                            you dont need a front camber kit, and you DEFINITELY dont need a rear camber kit.

Originally posted by Tnwagn
                            camber kits are useless on cb's. even people who are dumped dont have enough negative camber (above how much you can correct with stock adjustment) to worry about.

some negative camber (i like -1.5 in the front, and about -.75 in the back for FWD) is actually beneficial to handling characteristics and tire wear if you drive in a spirited manner most of the time. which most people who lower their accords will do.
                            Last edited by mondojackal; 05-14-2008, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X