lowered but seriously BANG/ no suspention travel :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lowered but seriously BANG/ no suspention travel :(

Okay So on my 02 civic I have Tokico Blues and Progress Springs. Progress rear sway bar.

Now when I drive and hit the slightest bump it's more like a BANG. When I look at my suspention It looks like I have 2 inches of travel when the car is on the ground. I have cut the bumpstop as much as I can and this is seriously getting annoying. When I'm turning hard and there is a bump or a small hole on the ground I almost loose control..

It's like the shock is bashing into the frame. I never had this problem with my accord.

How can I fix this? ugh Makes me wanna go out and buy the Tein true coilovers ughh

help me someone!

Last edited by Maple50175; 03-24-2008, 01:49 AM.

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Okay So on my 02 civic I have Tokico Blues and Progress Springs. Progress rear sway bar.

Now when I drive and hit the slightest bump it's more like a BANG. When I look at my suspention It looks like I have 2 inches of travel when the car is on the ground. I have cut the bumpstop as much as I can and this is seriously getting annoying. When I'm turning hard and there is a bump or a small hole on the ground I almost loose control..

It's like the shock is bashing into the frame. I never had this problem with my accord.

How can I fix this? ugh Makes me wanna go out and buy the Tein true coilovers ughh

help me someone!
    2" of travel is not enough travel for the Tokico Blue shocks; these dampers are meant to be used with OEM springs if not very mild springs. Due to their low dampening curve, they need a relatively long shock travel to perform properly. They can only handle low spring rates.

Ideally, you need some seriously strong dampers to handle a 2" travel. Think Koni Yellows or Skunk 2.
    Last edited by lokuputha; 03-24-2008, 01:48 AM.
    DEVOTE

Comment

This sucks. Wish I was told this before getting all this crap. I guess I will suffer until I save up 900 to get the teins ughh

unless someone else has an output?

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
        This sucks. Wish I was told this before getting all this crap. I guess I will suffer until I save up 900 to get the teins ughh

unless someone else has an output?
        Did you get the suspension installed at a shop?

How low are these springs anyways? On the website they say 1.8" front and 2.0" rear? That doesn't seem very low at all, which means you should have a lot more suspension travel. Does it have something to do with the suspension design?

If you picked up the Progress springs that are used with their coilover systems, then yeah, you need a stronger and shorter damper. Probably easier to source a Progress Damper in that case.

drop by a shop so they could have a look at it. Or post some pictures of the actual suspension installed on the car. We'll be able to see what is going on.

btw, your car doesn't seem very low...

these are the coilovers I am talking about.

Last edited by lokuputha; 03-24-2008, 09:19 PM.
        DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha
          Did you get the suspension installed at a shop?

How low are these springs anyways? On the website they say 1.8" front and 2.0" rear? That doesn't seem very low at all, which means you should have a lot more suspension travel. Does it have something to do with the suspension design?

If you picked up the Progress springs that are used with their coilover systems, then yeah, you need a stronger and shorter damper. Probably easier to source a Progress Damper in that case.

drop by a shop so they could have a look at it. Or post some pictures of the actual suspension installed on the car. We'll be able to see what is going on.

btw, your car doesn't seem very low...

these are the coilovers I am talking about.
          It is the design. 02-05 Civics and the RSX has the worst suspension design I have ever seen, as far as Hondas go. They are designed to be anti-lowering.
          Gary A.K.A. Carter
          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha
            Ideally, you need some seriously strong dampers to handle a 2" travel. Think Koni Yellows or Skunk 2.
            With that little suspension travel increasing damper bump stiffness will help, but I suspect the springs themslelves will need to be stiffer to prevent bottoming out.

If you fit stiffer springs then you'll need to increase damper rates to suit the stiffer springs, but I suspect fitting stiffer dampers on their own may not be enough.
            Regards from Oz,
            John.

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
              It is the design. 02-05 Civics and the RSX has the worst suspension design I have ever seen, as far as Hondas go. They are designed to be anti-lowering.
              What about the Type R version? does it use the same suspension setup?
              But yes you are right, The design is a weird setup.

Thats an interesting looking civic - we don't get the coupe over here.
              Is there any travel when you push up and down on the car, or is it solid?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

i hate doing rear speakers in those coupes!

i always charge extra for them

Member Ride Facebook
                XBOX LIVE = RedDragonsFool
                SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
                For Sale Thread

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
                  What about the Type R version? does it use the same suspension setup?
                  But yes you are right, The design is a weird setup.

Thats an interesting looking civic - we don't get the coupe over here.
                  Is there any travel when you push up and down on the car, or is it solid?
                  I am not awfully familiar with that car since we kinda don't have it here. But around here all 02-05 Civics and RSX have the same setup minus rear disk brakes and sway bars and such.
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter
                  [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Working...
                  X