Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Real-World Mild NA F22ax SOHC Project Expense List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real-World Mild NA F22ax SOHC Project Expense List

Here is a real-life representation of what anyone can do on a F22ax SOHC non-VTEC motor with bolt-ons, retaining the stock block/stock compression and running 87 octane on a conservative tune.

Car made 152 WHP/127 WTQ on a Mustang Dyno with this setup.

Also, this thread is for reference only, not to brag. This is the basic motor build. Keep in mind these are shipped prices.

Short Video Clips:

RED 40mph+ Pull (2, 3, 4 gear)

* NOTE: Ignore CEL #7 in video above, currently fixed. *

Dyno Graph:

* Delta 272 camshaft regrind set to 0 degrees (most power), retarded and advanced by 2 degrees for comparison *

Tips/Suggestions For Better Performance:

- H23 5spd tranny or even H22 5spd (F22 does it no justice)
    - Bisimoto Stage 2 camshaft, lopey idle, still daily-driveable
    - Better clutch than Clutch Specialties stg 1 from LSD Motorsports (Competition stg 2, SPEC stg 2)
    - Can run higher octane & more aggressive ignition timing tune
    - Mill head for more compression, but then need adjustable cam gear to compensate
    - Bisimoto F22ax header
    - CHR Motorsports F22ax SOHC cylinder head portwork is even better now
    - CHR Motorsports offers head reconditioning with EXH port only for $660.
    Last edited by HondaFan81; 08-02-2010, 07:30 PM.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

good shit man nice list.. but it does go to show yout hat shit adds up.. man ive searched a local junkyard one of the only ones around here and i just couldnt find a cb7 im thinkin ill have to drive to seattle (2.5hrs) just to find one =[ but yea nice list is shea 2 or 4dr? and how many miles on engine?

8 Accords so far:
    '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
    '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
    (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

Are you gonna replace the header on your red project? Just curious since you have had problems with the Kamikaze.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by F22Cb7Rid3r
        good shit man nice list.. but it does go to show yout hat shit adds up.. man ive searched a local junkyard one of the only ones around here and i just couldnt find a cb7 im thinkin ill have to drive to seattle (2.5hrs) just to find one =[ but yea nice list is shea 2 or 4dr? and how many miles on engine?
        This project was done on my 91 Accord DX coupe 5spd with 210,XXX miles on the block at the time. The motor ran fantastic, that is why I felt confident in the block. A ported head was swapped onto this block, that was refreshed as well.

Anyhow, I have 259,XXX miles on this motor, so that's 49,XXX miles after these parts were installed and it still runs great. This motor sees 7000 rpm shifts frequently in nice weather on stock valvetrain (that I had inspected at headwork stage). I run Mobil 1 5W-30 and change it every 7,000 miles. Also, valve lash adjustment should be done around 12,000 miles if you rev high frequently, stock calls for 15,000 miles intervals but that is too long (unless you keep the RPMs down).

Comment

holy buckets!
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

thats nice, price isn't bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
              This project was done on my 91 Accord DX coupe 5spd with 210,XXX miles on the block at the time. The motor ran fantastic, that is why I felt confident in the block. A ported head was swapped onto this block, that was refreshed as well.

Anyhow, I have 259,XXX miles on this motor, so that's 49,XXX miles after these parts were installed and it still runs great. This motor sees 7000 rpm shifts frequently in nice weather on stock valvetrain (that I had inspected at headwork stage). I run Mobil 1 5W-30 and change it every 7,000 miles. Also, valve lash adjustment should be done around 12,000 miles if you rev high frequently, stock calls for 15,000 miles intervals but that is too long (unless you keep the RPMs down).
              ooh i see. well sounds like a good build still runnin strong at 259 is a good sign lol. i just lashed my valves and i think i messed up somewhere cuz now it ticks at idle kinda scared to take it high rpms now.. i gotta work on it this weekend to see if i can get this figured out.. i got 287xxx on my engine and i suspect there has been head work done on it by the previous owner cuz the whole top end looks fresh.. after i do that im gonna do my timing belt. how often is that supposed to be done?

8 Accords so far:
              '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
              '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
              (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

the headwork is that just whats listed or p&p and all that stuff

current cb 93 10th ann. edition

member ride thread >>> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...73#post3257973

Comment

Originally posted by whitejdmcb7
                  the headwork is that just whats listed or p&p and all that stuff
                  It is a ported F22 head, I edited the spreadsheet/photo as someone else noticed this as well and to make for less confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                    Are you gonna replace the header on your red project? Just curious since you have had problems with the Kamikaze.
                    No. I ended up modifying it enough that it works properly now with no leaks.

1) Re-welded primary flange welds because 3 of 4 broke due to Kamikaze not providing a down-pipe brace to the block in their design. This caused bending fatigue on these welds.

2) I had a down-pipe header-to-block brace made to rectify the situation

3) Also, the fasteners they provide for the manifold to down-pipe flange since it's a 2-piece header, are crap. I ended up upgrading to stainless-steel fine thread hex bolts 3/8" diameter and metal locknuts. I used lock washers as well.

So far, it works, no gasket leaks finally or weld leaks. Been working fine for a long time now.

Comment

Added more info and video up top. Now this is a nice thread.

Comment

I am simply shocked you released this info.

Now it is time to post the spreadsheet of the white project.
                        Gary A.K.A. Carter
                        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                          I am simply shocked you released this info.

Now it is time to post the spreadsheet of the white project.
                          I never resistent on releasing the info on this red Accord, it's a mild build and daily driver. People asked for my white project expense list more so, that is not happening. I just finally got around to gathering all the information on this car is all, something Deevergote and I been talking about with all these basic F22ax mod questions going around.

Also, keep in mind these are not all the expenses on the engine build, nor any on the suspension/brake upgrades and/or restoration. I removed expenses on the engine build that were not needed after me basically "wasting" money for the benefit of all members.

Examples: You do not need an adjustable cam gear for fixed SOHC non-VTEC motor, when 0 degree setting with factory 1-piece cam gear is all you need. You also don't waste money on cam tuning, when I proved it is not necessary on a cam REGRIND that's based of stock core. However, if you have a hardweld cam or new core cam design, yes you will. Yet, if you have all the cam specs, you can technically line up the cam to it's proper setting with a degree wheel.
                          Last edited by HondaFan81; 02-07-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

thats a shit load of money to come out with 152 horses i would have just did a motor swap lol but thats just me lol

..."CLASSIK"-CB790 ex... {UNDEFINED}My Classy but Sick (Classik) Black on Black Members Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by popeyeamac
                              thats a shit load of money to come out with 152 horses i would have just did a motor swap lol but thats just me lol
                              thats actually not that much considering the A1 he started with put down something like 105 HP at the wheels. i thought it would cost more. i'll be finding this chart a TON of help in the future when i start to build my F series.
                              Originally posted by deevergote.
                              And please, for the love of God, type like a human being!

Comment

Working...
                              X