Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

building a f22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building a f22

hey guys im new to this site but ive been following alot of the posts...and i had a question. I want to rebuild my f22 myself because number 1 id like to know how to do it and number 2 diy is cheaper. but my predicament is idk whether to put sleeves in or just use the same holes for lack of a better term the original pistons were in...not only that but i want to get a better set of rings and pistons without raising compression an awful lot.. it also has to be my daily driver on new york pump gas at about 92 octane....also i want headwork done... meaning port and polish along with intake which will be professionally put together with the cam and valves and what not.....just looking for past experiences ideas and opinions....thanks-eric
    Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

ok if ur going all motor then you wan to raise the compression. U could raise it to 10:1-10.5:1 and be fine on 92 octane acutally. That will give u a good boost in power throughout the entire band. And forged pistons are the only way to go when building an engine. Correct me if i'm wrong guys but we have cast iron sleeves and forged pistons will be fine inside the sleeves.
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

You'll be fine not sleeving... just make sure the surface is free of any scoring or pits and maybe think about having it cross hatch honed at a machine shop...our iron sleeves are the envy of H22 weenies...

As far as not raising the cr too much... You really only have 2 choices when going with off the shelf forged pistons from what I've seen...11.5:1 or 8.5:1...anything lower would have to be custom which = $$$...

If you don't plan on putting high dome pistons in there ever then you could think about milling the head and that will bump compression up a little... A point or more depending how much material you take off...

Although you could certainly get away with 11.5:1 on 92 with some ECU tuning using a standalone or piggyback setup...
      RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

I've also seen Ross pistons for f22's that are availible in 8.1:1 or 9.4:1 i belive i may be off by like .2:1 but it was definately a low 8 and mid-low 9.

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
          I've also seen Ross pistons for f22's that are availible in 8.1:1 or 9.4:1 i belive i may be off by like .2:1 but it was definately a low 8 and mid-low 9.
          Where exactly did you see these at?

That might be just what I need...
          RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

it was in a magazine...but if its in a mag its gotta be on the web...it was either Ross or Arias...it was one of the two.

Comment

http://www.ariaspistons.com/sporthonda.htm 8.2 and 10.5 c/r...more to come as i find them

Comment

reason being why i wanted the compression to be lower is because i eventually want to run a turbo set up.....also anyone know of any good engine builders around me.i live in orange county new york...so if the price is right and people can vouch for their work i would like some prices and where their located.thanks guys-eric
                Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

Thanks for that Arias website, I've heard of them but never checked their site for some reason. Never new they made F22 pistons.

www.raceeng.com has F22 pistons that are forged and made by Wiseco at stock compression ratio of 8.8:1 which is great for turbo setup. You don't want to get too low compression on ur setup because before the turbo spools up ur running all motor...the higher the compression ratio the better performance you'll get in that range.

But not to get your hopes up. I'm doing my all-motor setup without sleeving as well (or I don't want to if I don't have to). You can't pick out your pistons prior to inspecting your block. Get your block and take it to machine shop, have them take a look at it and ask them how much will the need to overbore & hone to remove all the wear. Then, you can make ur piston/ring choices. I got ahead of myself like you, until I asked the machinist near my area....he made a good point...i'm just impatient to get started
                  HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

hey...since we can't choose our pistons just yet, I think best we can do is get ALL options for F22 pistons out here so we have a pool to pick from. Since these are hard to find could you post all your sites on pistons and when I get home, I'll do the same. That'd be tight. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mayberry4thgen
                      reason being why i wanted the compression to be lower is because i eventually want to run a turbo set up.....also anyone know of any good engine builders around me.i live in orange county new york...so if the price is right and people can vouch for their work i would like some prices and where their located.thanks guys-eric
                      oh yea, since you mentioned you wanted to run a turbo setup depending on what boost you want to run at, you may not have a choice in terms of sleeving vs not sleeving your block. Personally, I do not know or have heard of the limit on a stock block in terms of boost psi...but i know most peeps doing go more than 7 psi on stock bottom end. look into that more...

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                        oh yea, since you mentioned you wanted to run a turbo setup depending on what boost you want to run at, you may not have a choice in terms of sleeving vs not sleeving your block. Personally, I do not know or have heard of the limit on a stock block in terms of boost psi...but i know most peeps doing go more than 7 psi on stock bottom end. look into that more...
                        eh...i talked to bisi and he confirmed that its ok to run forged pistons in the f22. The weak links in the f22 blocks are the rods and the piston rings. Its really not about how much psi your putting into the block its more of how much heat can the components of your bottom end take. 14psi with like a 12.2:1 a/f ratio across the board should hold up fine unless there was something wrong in the first place ya know.

Comment

I agree with forged pistons being able to run in an F22, that's what I said before. Anyhow, 14 psi on what?...sleeved or non-sleeved block? That is what I'm wondering, if the cylinder walls can handle a higher than 7 psi boost pressure reliably? Also, if he does not sleeve it all depends on how much the machine shop will have to bore out the sleeves to get rid of imperfections. You will not know how much until you take ur block in and they inspect it and/or do the job. Because of this, his walls will be thinner and this will limit his boost...right?
                          Last edited by HondaFan81; 03-21-2004, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                            I agree with forged pistons being able to run in an F22, that's what I said before. Anyhow, 14 psi on what?...sleeved or non-sleeved block? That is what I'm wondering, if the cylinder walls can handle a higher than 7 psi boost pressure reliably? Also, if he does not sleeve it all depends on how much the machine shop will have to bore out the sleeves to get rid of imperfections. You will not know how much until you take ur block in and they inspect it and/or do the job. Because of this, his walls will be thinner and this will limit his boost...right?

The 14 psi was referring to the stock block assuming he's running a conservative a/f ratio. You are correct in that he (we all will) have to await the machine shops instructions but if his stock walls are in good condition he'll be absolutely fine when it comes time for boost. He can run like a 9.2 c/r piston right now and gain like 7 hp throughout most of the power band and still be low enough for some boost. I don't think most shops will bore out to a 85.5mm...most will only do .040.

Comment

Our Accords have 85mm bores stock.

0.5mm overbore is ~ 0.020"
                              1.0mm overbore is ~ 0.040"

A machine shop can do 0.040" over and if need be will. That'd put you at 86mm bore.
                              Last edited by HondaFan81; 03-22-2004, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X