Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

h22a1 tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22a1 tune

what's a good air fuel setting 2 be at when tunning h22 all motor with out leaning out 2 much is it 14 or 13 or somewhere in between

H23vtec
    Kee Built/Tuned

87x95 11.7 compression, custom h22 intake, minor head port polished, 70mm tb, 3inch cold air/3inch vstack, stock cams,ebay header with 3inch collector,3inch exhaust.

9.0's at 81mph in the 1/8th mile ohh how i miss my baby.

really i'm talking about like the dyno sniffer i should have said it before not a wideband don't have one of those yet like as far as max power without leaning out 2 much also who makes a good basemap for h22 map

H23vtec
    Kee Built/Tuned

87x95 11.7 compression, custom h22 intake, minor head port polished, 70mm tb, 3inch cold air/3inch vstack, stock cams,ebay header with 3inch collector,3inch exhaust.

Comment

slightly leaner than stoichometric is good for power
      Since when has a leaner mixture been better for power??
      Please Explain ?????

The optimum Stoichiometric Point or Air Fuel Ratio for any Engine is 14.6959:1 (14.7:1).
      Think of it like mixing Jack Daniels & Coke - If you have too much coke in relation to your JD it will take you a hell of a lot longer to get smashed and the Ugly Chicks stay uglier longer (Not Good), also if you mix too much JD in relation to coke you'll end up "Driving The Porceline Bus" home quicker and the night will end sooner which equals less fun and less chance of getting a fuck!! Get it! Got It! Good!!!
      Last edited by F22-GURU; 12-26-2005, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GEN46L
        Since when has a leaner mixture been better for power??
        Please Explain ?????
        leaner has always been better for power for the most part... You usually go lean as possible without knock. Turbo car for instant run really really rich to insure there isn't any knock. They lose power but in turn dont have to worry about knock and can turn the boost up to make up for the power loss.
        Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
        registration is free

Comment

Originally posted by koolkoreanked
          leaner has always been better for power for the most part... You usually go lean as possible without knock. Turbo car for instant run really really rich to insure there isn't any knock. They lose power but in turn dont have to worry about knock and can turn the boost up to make up for the power loss.
          Who told you that bullshit!! I think someone's having a lend of ya mate!!

Comment

Originally posted by GEN46L
            Who told you that bullshit!! I think someone's having a lend of ya mate!!
            What bullshit? when you tune for power you lean the mixture out until it detonates and then back it down a little bit. Running rich is not good for making power. Running rich is good for keeping a engine safe from detonation but other than that nothing but getting the rear of your bumper dirty. Maybe you missed the point... Too lean is bad, too rich is also bad. Perfect median. good.
            Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
            registration is free

Comment

Originally posted by koolkoreanked
              What bullshit? when you tune for power you lean the mixture out until it detonates and then back it down a little bit. Running rich is not good for making power. Running rich is good for keeping a engine safe from detonation but other than that nothing but getting the rear of your bumper dirty. Maybe you missed the point... Too lean is bad, too rich is also bad. Perfect median. good.
              Running Rich can cause your engine to bog as well as be sluggish. Running lean promotes great fuel consumption however it raises engine temps which cause the detonation. Its a matter of keeping engine temps down. Thats why boosted applications are rich usually. Otherwise, the cylinder head will fly out the engine bay at temps that make rotary engines look like ice blocks. Not really to answer you Ked, but to add to your response for Mr.GEN46L.

Mr. GEN46L, I hope you don't think backfiring means you got some real power under the hood...

Comment

yeah i hope not either

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                  Mr. GEN46L, I hope you don't think backfiring means you got some real power under the hood...
                  Now you're really confusing me!!
                  When did Backfiring come into the AFR equation?
                  I'm sure the original question asked was about what the best AFR is for tuning. In the 26 year as a professional mechanic I have never been able to cause an engine knock by leaning out the fuel mixture. I'm sorry but I think some of you fella's may be Confusing adjusting the Ignition Timing with adjusting the Air Fuel Ratio's ???? Both are required to be precise for optimum combustion.
                  BTW: Engine Knock (Pinging) is the result of the Air Fuel Mixture being ignited prematurely due to incorrect ignition timing. A richer mixture will have more chance of pre-igniting than a leaner mixture. Sure Leaner mixtures increase the heat levels in an engine but it would have to be practically cooking to cause pinging if the ignition timing was OK.

So to answer the original question - An AIR FUEL RATIO of 14.7 to 1 or lower. Try a richer 12 - 13 to 1 AFR and run it on 98+ Octane.
                  Last edited by F22-GURU; 12-26-2005, 05:18 PM.

Comment

12's af is for turbo cars isn't it but oh well i got the answer's i needed thanks guys

H23vtec
                    Kee Built/Tuned

Comment

i stopped reading after awhile but to answer the original question

13.5:1 is the best for an n/a motor as far as power. But that is strictly under WOT conditions. 14.7:1 is best for both n/a and forced induction in partial throttle. The problem with tuning for a 13.5 a/f is that weather conditions change, engine temperature changes and a 13.5 on one day may turn into a 13.9 on a colder day. I call that the a/f swing and usually compensate by tuning all of my n/a customers to a 13.0:1 a/f. So get it between a 13.0-13.5 and it'll be the perfect mix of good but safe power. If your compression is less than 12.5:1 then you shouldn't have much trouble running 91-93 octane pump gas either.

And yes leaning out does add power because the combustion event takes place faster because there is less fuel to burned. The problem lies in the fact that the temperature in the cylinders rise with lean burn conditions and can melt the pistons and valves. Its really not one of those things you want to experiment with.
                      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

midnite racer x

thanks that's the answer i was looking for

H23vtec
                        Kee Built/Tuned

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                          Running Rich can cause your engine to bog as well as be sluggish. Running lean promotes great fuel consumption however it raises engine temps which cause the detonation. Its a matter of keeping engine temps down. Thats why boosted applications are rich usually. Otherwise, the cylinder head will fly out the engine bay at temps that make rotary engines look like ice blocks. Not really to answer you Ked, but to add to your response for Mr.GEN46L.
                          Yes sir.

I'm tuning my H22a now. Got the A:F ratio down to about where i want it, around 13-14 in 4th =) I'm now working on the timing which is proving to be a bitch

Just some info I heard at a dyno shop once, not sure how true it is, but I belive it's relivant here. The higher the gear, the richer the fuel mixture becomes. It's not like 18 in 1st and 12 in second here...but it does get richer as you go higher in gears. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Good luck.
                          2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                          JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                          My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

In my own tuning experiences, I have come to notice this as well. It only changes by a couple tenths at most. However is this on your street or dyno tuning. It does it more on the street. The atmosphere, most likely is the cause.

Comment

yes, the higher the gear means the higher the load = richer the mixture.
                              That can actually be adjusted in uberdata, i believe crome, and the real standalones
                              Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Working...
                              X