Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

remove power steering pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remove power steering pump?

hehe..i know this will give me at least 5 hp somewhere on the power band.....what do you guys think?? im gonna be removing it to get at my alternator :P...see how it feels.......anybody drove around without it?

It wont "give" you any horse power, it will only free up drag on the crank pulley, so you have less drive train loss.

As for how it feels, primo. The car is so light, you hardley notice it at low speeds, and once you get up there, the car is way more responsive.

Comment

how to build honda horsepower

nah i was reading this guy wrote this book..how to build honda horsepower..and he removed his power steering pump and dyno'd it and gained 5 hp somewhere on the powerbadn...its How to build honda horsepower by Richard Holdener...but he removed it out of a del soul...he did say it felt better.......

Comment

cut the belt..... cheap...fast.... and if you ever want it back.... put a belt on...

SOLD!

Comment

im running without my belt on and have been doing so for close to a year. it feel s a little better. i will probably put it back on when i go through and fix up my car. the only thing that sucks about drivein without it is parallel parking. otherwise its fine.

Comment

so those of you that want to get rid of youre power steering pump send me an email and ill take it off youre hands for a good price
            mpuckle@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by g-wagon
              cut the belt..... cheap...fast.... and if you ever want it back.... put a belt on...
              I just cut my belt today...my car accelerates a bit faster on the interstate...plus if i want to put it back on i just buy a new belt...good suggestion....not as messy as removing the hole power steering pump and draining the fluid..etc...
              i have noticed a slight power gain and accelrate quicker...low speed turning manuvers are a bitch tho......one day ill go with the aem ps cams or unorthodox.....feels a lot better on the interstate...lovin it so far.... gained 3 hp...and it was free..cant beat that.
              Last edited by 93EXaesthetic; 08-08-2005, 12:00 AM.

Comment

so if you cut the belt, is the p/s fluid still circulating through the system?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                  so if you cut the belt, is the p/s fluid still circulating through the system?
                  ...i think the ps fluid is just sitting there idle.......i cut the kinetic energy to the pump (the belt) so it doesnt take away from engine hp...i could have removed the pump for weight reduction but it would have been messy
                  if i want my ps back..i just add the belt back..
                  simple.

Comment

thats cool, is there a way to take the belt off instead of cutting it?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                      thats cool, is there a way to take the belt off instead of cutting it?
                      hmmm ...yes...i think you just take the pulley crank off......i had my chiltons..check the manual...but i was like fuck it..and snipped it...funner to drive....it might be a problem when i get a stick shift ...it makes it harder to multitask like turn and drink a coke or talk on a cell phone but it feels faster i can tell the difference in acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                        the ass dyno lies......i did it on mine because of the feel....when i launched hard with my h22a, the torque steer would pull it to one side and the p/s would just fall to that side and make it worse........without it, keeping it straight was a lot easier....if you don't drain the fluid, you'll have to work against it......makes turning tougher......
                        when i took mine off....on i would accelerate when exiting a turn...the forward motion of the car would straighten the wheels out..it was a good feeling...driving is a bit livelier....turning is a bit hard on slow speeds now but im a pretty strong guy...ill look into draining the fluid..i didnt know i was working against it ..but im still satisfied with cutting the ps belt. ill look into draining the fluid tho

Comment

The fluid does fight you, and so would the trapped air (if fluid was partially drained). Don't drain it all the way, it is hard to drain it completely though!

Take a look at this, a very good thread and I'm planning on doing something similar b/c I just have the belt off, and doing this conversion makes the steering easier that what I have now!

http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.p...teering+manual

Good luck

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X