Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

to straigh or not to straight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to straigh or not to straight?

So quick question, I ordered full exhaust from spec d tuning headers back, and the headers are back ordered so I cancelled them bout a month ago, the high flow cat and the catback came in so I threw on the cat back and realized the cat was not a cat but a straight pipe when I took it out, I'm thinking of slapping it on anyway but curious as to whether or not its worth it or if I should just sell it? Hows the sound from all of you with experience? Pros cons? Any advice would be appreciated

It will sound extremely raspy and there's next to zero performance gain from removing it. Also, being from Colorado, you may have some emissions issues to worry about. Use your factory catalytic converter or get an new one.

The only reason to need a high-flow unit would be if you had a header made with a 2.5" collector that ended in a pipe larger than the current catalytic converter. Then you'd need something larger.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

this is your best bet. when i ran my car with one i noticed no loss in power and it sounded less raspy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-Di...item256f3825d6

it IS worth the money.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

That's just a direct replacement catalytic converter for California emissions.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Personally I like the sound of a CB with a test pipe and the rear section of the catback removed. It's essentially the same as replacing the muffler with a straight pipe. It's provides extreme rasp but a rally car sounds the same. It has a rather serious tone in my opinion.

On the other hand it's illegal, it annoys some people and is all around obnoxious. I still like it but I also don't have neighbors (or close neighbors) and I don't typically drive much in town. I also only drive my CB during mid day and it's not my DD. So the only one to hear it very much is me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            That's just a direct replacement catalytic converter for California emissions.
            i know, but it is better materials than one from 1990's and the cheap parts store ones. if nothing else slap on a vibrant ultra-quiet resonator in it's place.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

I personally hate straight pipes on an N/A 4-cylinder. They are stupid loud an obnoxious. Not to mention they make your car a cop magnet.

Run a cat. Then a Vibrant or Magnaflow resonator, and a good, high quality muffler. You really can't beat the sound of that. Great tone, decent volume, and best of all not obnoxious.

Comment

only certain cars sound good with a straight pipe. and a cb7 isnt one of the, in due time you'd get sick of it and need to spend even more money on fixing the problem you caused in the first place.

Comment

I have heard straight piped CB's that sounded ok but most sound awful. I find that the best sounding ones have a good bottle style resonator. I don't know if that's still considered straight piped or not, I guess it depends on who you are. Either way, it's not something anyone can put up with for long as a DD.

I swap out rear sections. One with an OBX ws2 muffler, and the other that's just a straight pipe out the back with hangers welded on the pipe as they would be a muffler.

It's not something I would ever do on a DD, make permanent or something I couldn't reverse easily.

If a person spends just a bit of money and buys a proper exhaust system it will be something they will always like, be legal and last them quite a few years. That's by far the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by jdm92_accorn View Post
                    this is your best bet. when i ran my car with one i noticed no loss in power and it sounded less raspy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-Di...item256f3825d6

it IS worth the money.
                    wow what a rip off I got the same thing for 80 dollars.

Comment

Working...
                    X