Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

MFactory custom 1st gear for better 1-2 shifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... because his F-series is more betterer?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Did I miss something? I though the custom gear was for the H trans? To make it a little better.
      '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Originally posted by kamaccord View Post
        Why not just purchase an H22 or the H23 trans and problem solved?
        The M2S4 (USDM H23A1), the M2K4 (AuDM H23A1 and EuDM H23A2) and the N2D4 (EuDM H23A3) all have 1st gear at 3.307 with 2nd gear at 1.809 or 1.857 (M2S4). The problem of having to rev uncomfortably high in 1st to get into decent power in 2nd remains whether we have H22, H23, F22, or F23 engines.

Are you saying that having an H22 will allow us to rev high enough to make this custom gear not worth it? I'm just a little confused.

Source I got those numbers from (Thank you Joey GT-R!):
        www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203209

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph
        The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
        Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.346

Comment

Is there a advantage for H guys who rev to 8k instead of the 72-7500? This could help getting our somewhat heavy chassis moving, I would hate to shift into 5th in the 1/4 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sordz View Post
            Is there a advantage for H guys who rev to 8k instead of the 72-7500? This could help getting our somewhat heavy chassis moving, I would hate to shift into 5th in the 1/4 though.
            How much power are you making out of your H? What transmission do you have?

If you have the M2S4, then a 1st gear shift at 8k rpms gives you almost 4500 rpms in 2nd. I don't have an H, but I would guess that there is no VTEC at that rpm.

If you have the M2A4/B4, then a 1st gear shift at 8k rpms gives you just over 4700 rpms in 2nd. Same guess as to no VTEC there as well.

I would say you would benefit from a longer first gear. I would also say that if you are shifting in every gear at 8k rpms, you would not need 5th in the 1/4 mile, with or without this custom first gear.

Anyone, if I am off, please correct me. I don't want to be dishing out misinformation.
            Last edited by af_1132; 04-28-2014, 02:50 AM.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

I might be interested. I've done a lot of engine work, but never got into transmissions and I would be paying someone to do the install. On the other hand, I have a Quaife LSD that I need to have someone install for me anyway. While I'm at it, might be worthwhile to redo 1st gear.

Some questions (remember, I'm not an expert on transmissions):

1) Would the 3.0 custom 1st gear work with an F22 tranny, such as 4th gen H2A5/H2U5 or the 5th gen P2A5/P2U5? They have the same 3.307 1st gear as the M2 transmissions, but I don't know if there are other differences. Rather than replace 1st and 5th gears and the final drive ratio in an H22 tranny, I could just replace 1st gear and the final drive ratio (4.6:1) in a cheaper F22 tranny - and still have the tall cruising gear. I only do autocrossing, so I don't care much what happens after shifting into 3rd.

2) There is a separate gear for 1st on the countershaft, but 1st is built into the mainshaft. Would the mainshaft have to be replaced as well to get the custom 3.0 1st gear? Or is the custom countershaft gear designed to work with the OEM mainshaft?

3) If I did this, I would need to replace the final drive ratio as well. Where can I buy a 4.6 final drive and how much would it cost?

Comment

as long as the mainshaft gear is the same it should work. mfactory sells a 4.64FD, im buying mine from synchrotech.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

Trying to help make sure this gets adequate viewing time.

After reading through, it looks like 4, possibly 5 members are at least semi-committed (XRCN, did you end up selling the CB?).

Have there been any developments on this other than this thread?

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

I'm buying a trans this summer from them, possibly in a month. So well see how the timeline ends up.
                    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

the only thing we have to keep in mind is that we all have to agree on the same first gear ratio and it will only work in the m2 cases. now that a few members are interested, what ratio?

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

Originally posted by jdm92_accorn View Post
                        the only thing we have to keep in mind is that we all have to agree on the same first gear ratio and it will only work in the m2 cases. now that a few members are interested, what ratio?
                        3.000 looks great on paper for the m2a/b. That seemed too long for a T2W4 on an F series if shifts are below 7000rpms, just my opinion though.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

Only the m2 cases eh? Fine, even though I wanted to keep my long H2 gears.

What shift point and where in second do we want the rpms to land? Personally, I plan on running turbo so I'd like a longer first anyway.

2.85 gear at 8k rpm in first will land you at right around 5200 rpm in 2nd on the M2S4

3 seems good for all the h22ax native trans. It puts you at 5100.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                          X