Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

MFactory custom 1st gear for better 1-2 shifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MFactory custom 1st gear for better 1-2 shifts

i spoke with david at synchrotech and found that we can get a custom gear ratio for first in the h-series transmissions. they're $250 per gear and he needs a minimum of 10 to get started. for those that are not familiar the the gear ratios the h-series trans normally requires you to rev the piss out of first just to fall into decent power in 2nd.

with the m2s4 trans with 205/55/15
    1st: 3.307
    2nd: 1.857

if you shift at 7500rpms in first it puts you at roughly 4200rpms going into 2nd. that is out of vtec for an h22 for sure and isnt too good on a f-series aswell.
    the m2a4/m2b4 is a little better
    2nd: 1.95

shifting at 7500rpm puts you at 4500rpm going into 2nd

the t2w4 is the closest and it could still benefit from a better 1st
    1st: 3.285
    2nd: 2.090

shifting at 7500rpm puts you at 4800 going into 2nd

the largest downfall in all these cases is shortening of 2nd gear to acheive this which means all other gears need to be shortened to keep it all tight. this results in less mph in each gear and requires more shifts. this will also improve 60ft times. in drag racing both of those improvements are a big deal. if we switch over to a 3.000 first gear in any of these transmissions they would benefit greatly.
    m2s4 shift @7500 hits 4700rpm in 2nd
    1st: 3.000
    2nd 1.857

m2a4/m2b4 shift @7500 hits 4900rpm in 2nd
    2nd: 1.950

t2w4 shift @7500rpm hits 5300rpm in 2nd

lets just put this into play on my f23 with the unported head.

by using a stock m2s4 trans and shifting at 7200rpm everytime that puts me hitting 2nd gear at 4000rpm or 135whp,176wtq vs 4500rpm, 161whp,188wtq.
    thats going into 2nd with the same top mph but getting a head start. im personally going to do this with the t2w4 trans with an accord 5th and 4.64fd. all we need is 10 people. this could greatly benefit the n/a guys and turbo guys alike.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Boom! Thanks for doing that research and calling in! Looks like the best options for lower 60ft times are a T2W4 or an M2B4 with the 3.000 g/r custom first gear. I was going to have Synchrotech build me one of these in the future, so I am in on this. Did David give you a time frame for getting 10 customers on board?

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.346

Comment

no but if no one jumps on in the next year or so i plan to pay the $2500 myself. if i do i will be selling them for $350 a piece for the headache, lol.

Comment

I don't think you will have to do that if the word can be adequately spread. I know I'm in, as I was going to have one built this summer anyway. A longer first gear is a great prospect!

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

I would probably be in the time frame of a year, but I have other priorities first. Maybe if there was some deal where they knocked off a bit off with a carbon rebuild kit and the gear together, I might be able to justify it this winter.
          Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I'm planning on getting an H trans this summer from Sychrotech. So I'm in.
            '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

jdm92_accorn, do you think David wants us to call in individually and say we are on board, since he is not on this forum (as far as I know)?

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

no if i can get of all ten names then i'll take it to the next step of letting him know we are ready then we can all plan a window to call and make our $250 deposit. i did however get informed about the U2Q7 and T2W4 and anything with a 3.285 1st gear being different than the standard M2xx transmissions. so i'd to talk to them about a 2.8 1st gear to use with M2S4,M2F4,M2A4,M2B4 stamped cases. this would put the M2S4 landing at 5000rpm if you shift out of first at 7500rpm and landing at roughly 5300rpm if you shift out of first at 7500 with the other M2A4,B4,F4 cases. the reason the T2W4 and U2Q7 are different is the 3.285 first gear stock is dual cone synchro on first.

Comment

I plan on spending a few pennies on the trans, so it won't be until August or September when can I invest the funds.

Comment

We have time. I don't plan to move into the production phase until next February or so.

Comment

This sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity here. I may be in. The longer first gear should really help with the torque of a boosted setup.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by jdm92_accorn View Post
                        We have time. I don't plan to move into the production phase until next February or so.
                        When you say "move into the production phase", do you mean having him build your transmission, or giving him the go-ahead on us planning a window for depositing money for these custom first gears?
                        Last edited by af_1132; 04-25-2014, 01:39 PM.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

I talked with David this morning, he said it would be months before it was available, Which fits great in my timeline.

Comment

A custom trans was already in my plans, so I'm very interested in this. As I'm focusing on the engine now, though, I haven't done any transmission performance research (I figured clutch/fly, 4.6 final drive, LSD, and I'd look into the individual gearing as that project got nearer)... so, would this benefit a car intended for the daily grind as well as probable autocross and road course track days? I was wanting better acceleration in the first few gears, while having a long 5th to try and retain some decent fuel economy on the highway.

*ED. - In light of more recent comments, I thought I'd mention that my engine's an H, not an F... if that affects the answer to my question.
                            Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-28-2014, 10:11 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by jdm92_accorn View Post
                              i spoke with david at synchrotech and found that we can get a custom gear ratio for first in the h-series transmissions. they're $250 per gear and he needs a minimum of 10 to get started. for those that are not familiar the the gear ratios the h-series trans normally requires you to rev the piss out of first just to fall into decent power in 2nd.

with the m2s4 trans with 205/55/15
                              2nd: 1.857

if you shift at 7500rpms in first it puts you at roughly 4200rpms going into 2nd. that is out of vtec for an h22 for sure and isnt too good on a f-series aswell.
                              the m2a4/m2b4 is a little better
                              2nd: 1.95

shifting at 7500rpm puts you at 4500rpm going into 2nd

the t2w4 is the closest and it could still benefit from a better 1st
                              1st: 3.285

shifting at 7500rpm puts you at 4800 going into 2nd

the largest downfall in all these cases is shortening of 2nd gear to acheive this which means all other gears need to be shortened to keep it all tight. this results in less mph in each gear and requires more shifts. this will also improve 60ft times. in drag racing both of those improvements are a big deal. if we switch over to a 3.000 first gear in any of these transmissions they would benefit greatly.
                              m2s4 shift @7500 hits 4700rpm in 2nd
                              2nd 1.857

m2a4/m2b4 shift @7500 hits 4900rpm in 2nd
                              2nd: 1.950

t2w4 shift @7500rpm hits 5300rpm in 2nd

lets just put this into play on my f23 with the unported head.

by using a stock m2s4 trans and shifting at 7200rpm everytime that puts me hitting 2nd gear at 4000rpm or 135whp,176wtq vs 4500rpm, 161whp,188wtq.
                              thats going into 2nd with the same top mph but getting a head start. im personally going to do this with the t2w4 trans with an accord 5th and 4.64fd. all we need is 10 people. this could greatly benefit the n/a guys and turbo guys alike.

Why not just purchase an H22 or the H23 trans and problem solved?
                              600HP" 1990 ACCORD LX COUPE COMING SOON

CLICK HERE TO VIEW MY 1990 CB7

Comment

Working...
                              X