Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

The "closed deck" h23a1 block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "closed deck" h23a1 block

So while doing some research I had learned about the h22a1 and h23a1 and that they were "closed deck". I ended up picking up a h23a1 for 100$ and after looking at it I would have to lean towards calling it more so of a stock block guard. Still useful but I had my hopes up but still have a build planned because i was given a h22 head .

Why do you say "block guard"?

Comment

Because isn't the block guard installed at the top of the sleeves? I may have been misinformed on what an actual closed deck block is, but to what I have learned it's suppose to be closed all the way down the sleeve with smaller coolant passages.
      When I saw a block guard that's what this "closed deck" on this h23a1 looked like it just appears to serve the same purpose. I mean the block is still a little stronger when compared to open deck no?

Comment

It is stronger. Not much, but some. Calling a closed-deck design similar to a block guard is like appreciating Edison's accomplishments over Tesla's, though. The closed deck concept came first and the block guard was a means to imitate that.

So anyway, what's your question?
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I didn't have a question before but I do now, but I can do some research to figure it out. I was just thinking I had a major come up for a high boost build, but that's not the case after looking at the block lol. I knew it sounded too good to be true.

Comment

Closed deck is when deck is closed. It's not the entire block that is filled in.

A block guard and a closed deck H22/H23 look nothing alike.

Open deck;

Closed deck;

Block guard;

the closed deck doesn't make the sleeves any stronger. It keeps the cylinders from moving under high RPM or high boost. Open deck engines have a tendency to have the actual cylinder walls move.
            Last edited by GhostAccord; 08-15-2013, 12:07 AM.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I was more so saying that the block guard and the closed deck shared similarities, not that they looked identical. They serve the the same purpose though, do they not?
              I do believe I have been misguided as to what a closed deck truly is but I'm about to reeducate myself on some things.

Comment

Yes the block guard works in the same way as a closed deck. When installed properly
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Block guards have a tendency to shift, whereas a closed deck block will not.

Block guards are also known to warp cylinders.

Comment

Thanks for the post ghost. I never really knew what the difference was. I had an idea what it was but that pic makes it easy to understand.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Block guards have a tendency to shift, whereas a closed deck block will not.

Block guards are also known to warp cylinders.
                      If a block guard is stitch welded into place and then the cylinders are measured, bored and honed to correct any shift. There shouldn't be any issues afterwards. It's these steps that some people don't bother with. They just pound the block guard into place and figure all is good. This is where the shifting and warping comes from.
                      MR Thread
                      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Thank you guys this is all really useful information.

Comment

Moving as I see fit....
                          '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                          If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Working...
                          X