Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Thoughst/Advice on Custom exhaust for a CB9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughst/Advice on Custom exhaust for a CB9

So in the next few weeks i plan on doing my wagons exhuast. I wanted to get the following:

DC sports/Megan racing header
    2.5" Piping (from header back)
    No cat (yes i know it wont pass smog)
    Intermediate glasspack
    End of exhaust comes out at an angle (similar to the style of the subaru's)

So what i was going to do was have a second stock exhaust set up, for smogging it. Then i was also wondering if 2.5 is biggest i should go for a stock f22a1, i plan on swapping in an H22 eventually with 5 speed LSD. I may do some minor upgrades to the F22a1. Upgrading cams, springs, and cam gear.Just wondering your guys thoughts for this. Yes, it will be loud. I know, I've been able to drive with the straight pipe (when i had it) on my sedan and keep it relatively quiet. I was also expecting some hp gains from this as well (about 10 +/- a few.)

Any info on this would help Thanks!
    1993 10th Anniversary MRT

Originally posted by The G-Man
    For that money, yes. But my dick isn't big enough for that shit.

List of all my cars to date

You got it all there bro. Get those components and take them and the car to an exhaust/welding shop to get them fitted and welded for the wagon.
    10th Anniversary Accord.
    05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

2.5" is good even for a mildly built H22, I'd say you're plenty good on size. However, I don't know how it'll work with a stock motor (correct back pressure and all). Personally I wouldn't waste money on a DC/Megan/etc header unless you find one at a junkyard or CL for next to nothing. They have a 2" collector and won't gain you much, if anything. You may as well get an EX header and enlarge the collector to 2.5". If you can afford it, spring for a mandrel-bent piping kit from Kteller - less restriction, again more power. Not to mention they offer stainless steel, which will last you a good while. As for the angled muffler a lot of import guys use... that's not stock on any car, and just beware you may get called a ricer for your "dorifto" exhaust.

Good plan having two exhausts. I may end up with two sets of cams just to pass emissions...
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 01-11-2013, 05:57 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by 10thAnnivCB7 View Post
        You got it all there bro. Get those components and take them and the car to an exhaust/welding shop to get them fitted and welded for the wagon.
        Actually, the $160 is with them doing everything. I don't have to bring them anything but money and the car if I get a muffler or tip they will weld it for free haha love this shop.

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
        2.5" is good even for a mildly built H22, I'd say you're plenty good on size. However, I don't know how it'll work with a stock motor (correct back pressure and all). Personally I wouldn't waste money on a DC/Megan/etc header unless you find one at a junkyard or CL for next to nothing. They have a 2" collector and won't gain you much, if anything. You may as well get an EX header and enlarge the collector to 2.5". If you can afford it, spring for a mandrel-bent piping kit from Kteller - less restriction, again more power. Not to mention they offer stainless steel, which will last you a good while. As for the angled muffler a lot of import guys use... that's not stock on any car, and just beware you may get called a ricer for your "dorifto" exhaust.

Good plan having two exhausts. I may end up with two sets of cams just to pass emissions...
        My buddy had 2.5" on his stock EM1 Civic Si and didn't have any problems with it, if I got an upgraded cam would that help with the back pressure subject? Ill look into K-teller right after posting this I know no car came stock with the angled muffler, I mainly see it on sti's and 240sx though haha, idc if people call me anything. My car not theirs so not a care here

Comment

Oh, a larger exhaust will work, sure. It's more one of those situations where technically you should get a tune even if you've just got a cold air intake. The stock ECU is tuned for optimal performance with the parts it's equipped with from the factory. The new parts are simply making the engine breathe easier without proper support everywhere else, I'm not saying it'll blow the engine or anything that drastic.

Quick link to the Kteller pre-bent kit (several options within):
          http://store.kteller.com/kteller/kte.../i-402960.aspx

Accord Aero-R

Comment

i have a 2.5 and to me its a little sluggish on the low end , plenty of power in the high end. I dont see anything worrysome with the back pressure but i still have my cat though

Comment

I wouldn't run without a cat. Do it right. Catless will stink, sound terrible, and if a cop decides to look under your car, you're boned. A good cat won't sap your power all that much. Not enough to justify deleting it.

2.5" may be a bit sluggish on the low end with an F22A, as ferenza said... but an H22A should make good use of it where it matters. Take a look under the car, though. Routing the piping as you're saying might result in horrible ground clearance. The stock piping is in a tunnel, so it fits properly. If you want to go with a weird custom angle, you won't be able to utilize that tunnel, meaning the piping will need to be routed directly below the lowest point. You'll also have to take care not to overheat any important things (brake lines, fuel lines, wires...)

Comment

Originally posted by ferenza View Post
                i have a 2.5 and to me its a little sluggish on the low end , plenty of power in the high end. I dont see anything worrysome with the back pressure but i still have my cat though
                This^

I thought the exact same thing but thought it was just me over thinking it.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                  Oh, a larger exhaust will work, sure. It's more one of those situations where technically you should get a tune even if you've just got a cold air intake. The stock ECU is tuned for optimal performance with the parts it's equipped with from the factory. The new parts are simply making the engine breathe easier without proper support everywhere else, I'm not saying it'll blow the engine or anything that drastic.

Quick link to the Kteller pre-bent kit (several options within):
                  http://store.kteller.com/kteller/kte.../i-402960.aspx
                  Thanks man I will check if they could do 2.5 stainless steel, instead of 2.25 or 3" piping. So get it retuned as well even with bolt ons?
                  Originally posted by ferenza View Post
                  Is yours cat back? Or header back?
                  Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  I wouldn't run without a cat. Do it right. Catless will stink, sound terrible, and if a cop decides to look under your car, you're boned. A good cat won't sap your power all that much. Not enough to justify deleting it.

2.5" may be a bit sluggish on the low end with an F22A, as ferenza said... but an H22A should make good use of it where it matters. Take a look under the car, though. Routing the piping as you're saying might result in horrible ground clearance. The stock piping is in a tunnel, so it fits properly. If you want to go with a weird custom angle, you won't be able to utilize that tunnel, meaning the piping will need to be routed directly below the lowest point. You'll also have to take care not to overheat any important things (brake lines, fuel lines, wires...)
                  I was going to look into a friend who has the angled set up, as for the cat would it be better to do cat and a test pipe I can interchange? Being sluggish right now isn't a problem as I usually cruise around and drive conservatively. Ill reconsider having the cat on it, thank you.

Here is how my friend here (frankiefiggs) has his set up, looks like it follows all stock piping roots but at the end has a bend in the piping to tilt it to the side.

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
                  This^

I thought the exact same thing but thought it was just me over thinking it.

steve
                  Haha I see what you mean, cat restriction gives more back pressure correct?
                  Last edited by Wickit; 01-12-2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Yeah, there's room at the back there for an angled tip with a stock-routed exhaust sytem. The wagon's rear lip has the exhaust gap more towards the corner of the car compared to the coupe and sedan; probably because it's a wagon and people are more likely to be hanging out by the tailgate, and therefore the exhaust isn't blowing at your legs.

I'm not a fan of the angled exhaust myself, but that wagon is pretty dope.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

That's what I was thinking as well and never noticed til I compared them side to side when I had gotten mine haha but yes I like the look if executed correctly.

Comment

I like what you are planing being that Im doing so myself.

The Kteller 2.5in kit is a great choice for both the F22 and the H22, but I was looking around for exhaust piping for the CB and I can across this site
                        http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...EXHAUST/Detail. To me this is every bit as good as the Kteller kit and at $150 shipped this is what Im going for.

Good luck.

Comment

Im more interested in how 2.5 vs 3 inch would affect mpg

Comment

Originally posted by apex 86 View Post
                            I like what you are planing being that Im doing so myself.

The Kteller 2.5in kit is a great choice for both the F22 and the H22, but I was looking around for exhaust piping for the CB and I can across this site
                            http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...EXHAUST/Detail. To me this is every bit as good as the Kteller kit and at $150 shipped this is what Im going for.

Good luck.
                            Are u doing a glass pack as well? I'm interested in the kit u posted though, in going to have to talk to them about it tho to see what they can do.
                            Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                            Im more interested in how 2.5 vs 3 inch would affect mpg
                            3" would probably be more consuming since more air flow is coming through and the ecu (if stock) would tell the car to dump more fuel to make up for the air increase, so it would consume more gas

Comment

Originally posted by Wickit View Post
                              Are u doing a glass pack as well? I'm interested in the kit u posted though, in going to have to talk to them about it tho to see what they can do.
                              Yes I am, I already have a 18" Cherry Bomb glass pack and a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler both 2.5"in. I'm also thinking to add a mini oval muffler to get a more cleaner sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X