Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

cam re-grind questions

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam re-grind questions

so i received my new head, and before i put it on, iv heard that cam re-grinds are a good way to go for more power(if your on a budget) and iv also heard that they wear down much faster than just using the factory cams, if i do regrinds i will be using delta. basically im asking for people that have actually had this done, and if they wear out fast/faster? Also adjusting the valve train out that far, wouldnt it wear the valve train faster also(springs/whatever else)?

It depends on how much cam your going for, and what springs their matched too. On stock springs, you will need to do valve-lash adjustments more often due to the added lift.

As for cam wear, it really should be minimal or non-existant as long as there is proper lubrication for it.

If your planning on going for a level 2 regrind, or 272, upgraded springs are recommended, as you will be reving higher, and you want to make sure the valves close before a piston socks them in the face.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
      It depends on how much cam your going for, and what springs their matched too. On stock springs, you will need to do valve-lash adjustments more often due to the added lift.

As for cam wear, it really should be minimal or non-existant as long as there is proper lubrication for it.

If your planning on going for a level 2 regrind, or 272, upgraded springs are recommended, as you will be reving higher, and you want to make sure the valves close before a piston socks them in the face.
      i just want a stage 1, idk what grind that is.. and idk what springs are on the head i got it re-build from a shop in FL, but i cant turn the cam by hand, and im a decent size 20 year old

Comment

yea with stock spring rates then you won't have any issues with a regrind but your rpms will be limited.

272 makes power but the powerband starts quite high which doesn't make it quite so streetable.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
          yea with stock spring rates then you won't have any issues with a regrind but your rpms will be limited.

272 makes power but the powerband starts quite high which doesn't make it quite so streetable.
          wouldnt you rather have the power band up high, so that your not always using all the gas to make that power? and ill probably have my rev cut around 7-7.5k, its set right now at 7.2k before being tuned.

Comment

F22A? You don't need to go that high unless you've had work done to that new head, and stiffer valve springs installed. Higher compression pistons would also help.

If you don't upgrade your valvesprings, stick to a 260 regrind. It's about what most "level 1" cams are.

A wild cam will usually result in a very weak low end... you'll be using more gas just to get the car moving. You don't need a cam that will start making power shortly before you reach the RPM where the rest of the engine might break.

Comment

No the 272 takes away low end which means in stop and go traffic you will have to try harder to get it to respond.

The power band on a 272 with 4-5 degrees advanced is around 2500+ rpm's below that you lose power and with such a cam you will definitely need a tune.
              Better daily driver cam's can be had, but cost money if i were you i would contact delta and see if they can grind you a profile inbetween the 260 and 272 it's worth a try and will be relatively cheap compared to others.

02 Crv
              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

If someone could procure the specs for the F22B5 cam then possibly Delta could grind that. If so, then there's a .bin file out there somewhere from an ECU that matches it. Little more work but if someone does it you could add a very viable option for those looking to upgrade cams.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

o boy... i keep forgetting to say i have a h22, but yes i have a h22 and thats why the red line is so high.

Comment

wtf? there's plenty of good alternatives for a h22. i think you can even get a set of blox cams for it.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Yeah, if this is for an H22A then I don't know why you're resorting to regring options. There are even OEM options for you to consider.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I agree with these guys 100% their is much more aftermarket support for the h22 at decent prices... hell even a set of type-s cams would probably be a good alternative.

02 Crv
                        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

I'm closing this thread now. It's basically worthless, as we've spent 3 days discussing the wrong engine.

Comment

Working...
                          X