Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

What Motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Motor?

What motor would you pick to build To go in 93 coupe 5speed daily driver f22b dohc or H23. both are not in the car, so there is a possibility of boring over the block and porting heads. now one the other hand I'm thinking of just doing a plain rebuild with stronger parts to boost it! oooooooo! im getting goose bumps!

why not f20b or h22a?

MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=164408

And on the eight day God created Honda!

Comment

If you want to bore the block, you're going to be resleeving an H23. Of course, I wouldn't bore stock F22B sleeves and expect them to hold...

Honestly, if boost is what you want, I say stick with an F22A. They're cheap to buy and cheap to repair, they bolt right in, and you'll be able to concentrate on spending more money on internals and turbo components. The F22A can make just as much power as anything else when boosted.

Comment

well really I was planning to build my F22a up and then these two motors came up through a craigslist inquire. My local JY has a H22 that needs to be pulled but i dont know what i need off of it cause they are pretty strict, basically for the 169.99 price I get block and head.

Comment

It sounds like building a motor is something you've never done before...
          For that reason alone, the F22A would be your best choice. F22As are a dime a dozen, so you don't have to jump on a cheap deal that may result in you buying a busted motor.

The H series engines have FRM sleeves. Aftermarket pistons aren't compatible with them (other than the Mahle Gold Series), and parts are a bit more expensive in comparison to the F22A.
          The F22B DOHC can use many (but not all) H23A1 parts. The sleeves are iron, like the F22A, which is good for installing aftermarket forged pistons. However, if you're doing a serious build with forged internals, it's silly to risk it all on old stock sleeves. Resleeving is ALWAYS best if you want to do a serious build, especially with turbo.
          Because the F22B DOHC wasn't sold in this country, any parts that are specific to that motor aren't going to be available in the US. If you know enough to use other parts in place of them (such as a timing belt from a Dodge Caravan...) then that's good... but if you're a beginner, you won't even know what to look for. It's an unnecessary learning experience, if the final outcome is all you're concerned with.

The most powerful car on this site right now is running a built and boosted F22A.

Comment

deevergote you make a good point

Comment

CB7tuners don't have a whole lot of money... it's important for us to keep things in perspective, and go with the cheapest, most reliable option possible!
              I've seen far too many big dreams fall short on this site. Not that a built DOHC is all THAT big... but unless your primary reason for doing it is that you want to see that wide DOHC valve cover under the hood, there's really no need for it. The F22A offers greater ease, less expense, and just as much potential.

Comment

Aww...yes this will be my first build, The engine that i have now is in the best shape it could be in for have 190 plus miles and it has made a trip from PA to TX not to mention every day back and fourth to work. Being able to apply what i have learned from this site and just working on the engine I like to think i have prolong its life. Im ready to learn about the internal and Im not going to risk my DD to do so. I have the "30+hp for $500 or less" setup im just worried that if I install the cam I will be pushing my luck. Really didnt want to pull the trigger on buying an engine if one was stuck out more then the other. Do you think i made a good call on the cam? Motor in a whole is sound, burns a little oil from rings im sure but other then that no real problems. deevergote thanks for the time

Comment

Deevergote is a homosexual..

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyblaze2g View Post
                    Deevergote is a homosexual..

Comment

Working...
                    X