Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

H22/f23 hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22/f23 hybrid

Ok so time has come to retire my f22 its rings are worn and its getting tired..

I have a limited amount of money and want to have K series power without the expense..

so what i have in my possession thanks to my buddy Tim (cb7tuner screen name: budget street) from Budget Street Performance

a f23a1 block with rod knock.
    a fresh rebuilt h22a4 head
    i found a set of k20 type s pistons and new rings for the cheap.

So im thinking about this hybrid build very seriously..

My idea is sense the head is nice and flat and has never been decked that i am in a good position to do this build.

first im going to have the crank redone and balanced
    use the f23 rods
    k20 type s pistons
    Kaizenspeed balance shaft delete kit
    all new bearings and seals
    stock H22 head and intake manifold
    oem h22 head gasket
    going to plug the 2 extra oil return holes on the h22 head with ss set screws and honda bond or jb weld
    using the f23 water pump but pressing on the h22 sprocket to allow me to use the h22 timing belt
    a set of adjustable cam gears
    and ether a p13 or p28 chipped with a h22 basemap untill i can get it on a dyno.

So i know Deev wil not like this but i still want some feedback..

Keep in mind im on a tight budget, and have most parts available already..
    Last edited by tonytoka1979; 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM.
    F UR K
    MRT- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post2804186

it'll be pretty fast but never k power fast....

you'll need cams

stay away from the p13

chipped p28 with a 7.5k rev limiter

have the crank check and you might need rods, depending on how bad the knock is

the reason why most of these swaps dont work for some people is the h22 map, this is an engine with 7mm of more stroke, so no 8k mister

again you'll need some cams to take advantage of the low end power and a tune, if neither steps are taken i suggest you hold off on the build until more money is saved
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

what about a set of h22 type s cams and a tune?
      F UR K

Comment

having a set of more aggressive cam, would the pistons and valves have clearance issues?
        F UR K

Comment

Originally posted by tonytoka1979 View Post

So i know Deev wil not like this but i still want some feedback..

The "tight budget" part scares me more than the hybrid. Start cutting corners to save money, and you're going to end up with a boatload of problems.
          The F23 block still has a smaller bore than the H22 head's combustion chamber diameter, so that will give you a sharp ridge in the combustion chamber. That could provide a source of detonation, which will destroy the motor very quickly. To properly compensate, the sleeves should be bored. This, of course, costs money... and now your K pistons won't fit.

Also, if you're using the F23 rods, you'll be looking at an F23 redline. I believe that would be around 6200... a full 1000RPM lower than the H22's redline. If you add Type S cams, you'll need to rev even higher to really take advantage of them! Rev that F23 crank and rods that high regularly, and something is going to give.

Man, I keep trying to reply to these threads with encouragement, since people lately have at least been doing some research and putting thought into it... not just "i wanna vtech!" I just can't do it, though...

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

The F23 block still has a smaller bore than the H22 head's combustion chamber diameter, so that will give you a sharp ridge in the combustion chamber. That could provide a source of detonation, which will destroy the motor very quickly. To properly compensate, the sleeves should be bored. This, of course, costs money... and now your K pistons won't fit.

Also, if you're using the F23 rods, you'll be looking at an F23 redline. I believe that would be around 6200... a full 1000RPM lower than the H22's redline. If you add Type S cams, you'll need to rev even higher to really take advantage of them! Rev that F23 crank and rods that high regularly, and something is goin to give
            i thought i read that th f23 redline was 7200rpm?

this is the article i read that got me interested in my parts..

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...dge/index.html
            F UR K

Comment

Yeah, that article is where EVERYONE gets their parts list... I wanna kick Luke Munnell in the nuts for writing it!

Honestly, it's not a TERRIBLE idea, and it's at least a little better than doing it with an F22A (larger bore, if not large enough... and at least you have an extra .1L to gain from it.) Still, I don't see building a hybrid as being either a wise beginner project, OR a worthwhile budget project. You could collect parts for a full H22 in pieces, and assemble it as a brand new engine... being sure everything is made to work together... and it will be far more likely to be reliable than a hybrid. If you shop smart, it will cost just as much... or less. I got a bare H22 block in trade for a transmission. I got a slightly damaged head for free (so the cost there is having a machine shop work on it.)

Comment

yeah, but i have this crap laying around and have no clue how long my f22 is going to last.. machine shops around here are extremely expensive (small town very little competition)..

im still almost tempted to just rering my f22 and slap the 14b turbo i have laying around on it...
                F UR K

Comment

I'd replace the pistons in the process, if you wanted to boost. The stock ringlands are the weak spot, and if your rings are already failing, I bet the ringlands are weaker than they would be if the motor was healthy. Stock replacement pistons are relatively cheap, though. They'll break eventually as well, but probably not for a while.

Do you actually have all the necessary parts in your possession already? If so, might as well give it a shot. At least you won't be tearing apart a functional F22A to do it, so if you fail, you'll have your old motor on hand (even if it IS tired...)

I also know of at least 2 FL members that know their way around a hybrid, so you could ask for help from them as well.

The "budget" and "I want a reliable motor" concepts don't sit well with me for such a build. Really, the only time a hybrid should be messed with is if the car is a dedicated project car... in my opinion, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    I'd replace the pistons in the process, if you wanted to boost. The stock ringlands are the weak spot, and if your rings are already failing, I bet the ringlands are weaker than they would be if the motor was healthy. Stock replacement pistons are relatively cheap, though. They'll break eventually as well, but probably not for a while.

Do you actually have all the necessary parts in your possession already? If so, might as well give it a shot. At least you won't be tearing apart a functional F22A to do it, so if you fail, you'll have your old motor on hand (even if it IS tired...)

I also know of at least 2 FL members that know their way around a hybrid, so you could ask for help from them as well.

The "budget" and "I want a reliable motor" concepts don't sit well with me for such a build. Really, the only time a hybrid should be messed with is if the car is a dedicated project car... in my opinion, anyway.
                    i have everything but the pistons, balance shaft delete, and bearing, seals ect..

my car is a project car for sure, i have a DD..
                    F UR K

Comment

Ah, ok. Then go for it. Just keep that F22 handy, in case you never get the hybrid running!

Comment

ha! the dude in the article makes it sound so easy, cheap and reliable..
                        F UR K

Comment

has anyone on here done this build? any tips, tricks?
                          F UR K

Comment

have the crank checked out first. honda cranks need to be ground and then re-nitrided. overall, its about a minimum of 400 dollars. (around here)

it'd be worth just getting another crank or block.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by tonytoka1979 View Post
                              has anyone on here done this build? any tips, tricks?
                              No.1 Whatever you do don't cheap out.

I've been messing with the F23 block hybrids for a while. If you don't cut corners, run 11+:1 Compression and TUNE TUNE TUNE you can get some pretty nice numbers even with Type-S cams. Keep the rev limit on the conservative side unless you add some aftermarket rods or some super lightweight forged pistons.

Don't just slap it together. A half-assed hybrid will get you a half-assed enigne both in performance and reliablility.

-P
                              VTEC G27? = ???whp ???wtq
                              VTEC G23 = 220whp 191wtq
                              nonVTEC G23 = 200whp 183wtq
                              K24 iVTEC hybrid = 260whp 210wtq

Comment

Working...
                              X