Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

My heart is broken ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My heart is broken ...

Well I recently built my top end with the following mods:

Ported/polished F22a6 head
    3 angle valve job
    Delta 272
    Bisimoto valve springs
    Bisimoto intake manifold gasket
    Head milled to .030"
    AEM cam gear
    Double stacked a6 intake manifold with butterfly delete
    A4 Header and downpipe
    Catback exhaust
    Accel External Coil
    10.2mm ignition wires
    NGK spark plugs
    Chipped P06 ecu

I was adjusting the idle and it shut off randomly. I went to start it back up and it wouldn't even turn over. I knew right then that I had a bent valve. I took it apart and this is what I found:

I was like, Ok a bent valve just like I thought. I'll just take one off of my old head, throw it on and be good. No biggie. Well, it didn't happen that way. This is what I found when I took the head off:

I totally had a WTF moment. The valve wasn't bent, it was broken at the base and I think the stem caused this damage to the piston. At this point I'm half pissed and half excited cuz this gives me a reason to build the block. So, if anybody is selling an F23 block holla at me.

Its gonna be sitting like this until I find all of the parts I need. Hopefully that won't be long.

You broke my heart CB7 but I love you long time.

1990 CB7 - Almost Done - Delta 272, SRI, 2.25 catback, Bisi intake manifold gasket, A6 intake double stacked, H22 plenum, AEM cam gear, F23a block, F22a head, Wiseco K20 pistons, DSM 450cc injectors

2004 Z33 - Brembo BBK, Nismo spoiler, Nismo lip, Nismo shift knob, AEM CAI

wow dude. very interesting. who did the timing belt?

tell me you have some kind of warranty!
    Last edited by drummersteve7; 04-04-2010, 09:17 PM.
    MadLab Racing
    Southern Maryland

Comment

I have a warranty on the head but the only thing that they will fix is the valve. I hired a mobile mechanic to install the head so needless to say there is no warranty. I think my cam gear slipped cuz the adjustment bolts weren't torqued to spec, and that's my fault. Should I just replace the pistons with F23 pistons or get a whole F23 block?

1990 CB7 - Almost Done - Delta 272, SRI, 2.25 catback, Bisi intake manifold gasket, A6 intake double stacked, H22 plenum, AEM cam gear, F23a block, F22a head, Wiseco K20 pistons, DSM 450cc injectors

Comment

that really sucks! good luck on the build. Thats your car saying that it want a built motor! mine said the same thing about 3 months ago, if it hadn't blown up when it did I probably would not have been able to afford to build a motor before I go back to school.
        spin city

Comment

Why an F23? Why not an F22? More aftermarket support I believe. Plus I've always been sorta against the whole Vtec Head/Non-Vtec Block combo. But if that's what you're after I know a junkyard with one or two. Or....I have an H22 thats stored in a friend's garage I could sell you for cheap. Lemme know....
          '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
          If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

That looks horrible. I saw a picture of a vr-4 that broke a valve like that and just kept punchin on the piston and the head and screwed both of them up. But at least you seem optimistic about it instead of giving up.

My 6th gen accord thread
            99 Miata

Comment

well good luck man. I know it is kind of a pain in the but.
              Hopefully you can get it taken care of.

I never been a huge fan of cam gears. I hear to many slippage stories like this one. no offense.

Is your block currently F23? and did you paint the car red? Your sig shows some other color.

might as well rebuild the bottom end completely.
              Aftermarket is sometimes cheaper than stock.
              Get a little higher compression piston and go to work from there.
              MadLab Racing
              Southern Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                Why an F23? Why not an F22? More aftermarket support I believe. Plus I've always been sorta against the whole Vtec Head/Non-Vtec Block combo. But if that's what you're after I know a junkyard with one or two. Or....I have an H22 thats stored in a friend's garage I could sell you for cheap. Lemme know....
                I was thinking about going the F23 route for higher compression. I don't have a VTEC head, so I don't know what you're talking about. Thanks for the offer about the H22, but my goal is to build an NA F22 that will open a can of whip azz on an H22.

Originally posted by drummersteve7 View Post
                ...Is your block currently F23? and did you paint the car red? Your sig shows some other color. might as well rebuild the bottom end completely. Aftermarket is sometimes cheaper than stock.
                Get a little higher compression piston and go to work from there.
                Nah my block is an F22. I was thinking about upgrading to an F23 block for higher compression but I don't wanna risk getting a bad block. I know my engine so I'm going to keep it and build it. Yeah I painted it red. I guess I need to update my sig. LOL.

Originally posted by av6g6 View Post
                That looks horrible. I saw a picture of a vr-4 that broke a valve like that and just kept punchin on the piston and the head and screwed both of them up. But at least you seem optimistic about it instead of giving up.
                Yeah I have to stay optimistic man. Plus, when you are building a car you have to expect certain setbacks. This is a learning experience for me and that's priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7/KA8 View Post
                  I was thinking about going the F23 route for higher compression. I don't have a VTEC head, so I don't know what you're talking about. Thanks for the offer about the H22, but my goal is to build an NA F22 that will open a can of whip azz on an H22.

My b. I meant it the other way around for non-vtec head/vtec block. But you have an F22 so doesn't matter. Why not just source another F22 block? A simple hone and bore should do the trick for one you might find in a junkyard. Or there's a guy in my area who was building an F22 but stopped. Not sure where he was with it but I could look him up. Bisi has his piston lineup that makes 12.5:1. Couple that with his header and level 2 cam youd probably be looking pretty good. Don't forget that there's an adapter so you can fit H22 manifolds so the EuroR or Skunk2s would be an option at that point.

I noticed you posted only the springs in your head, you don't have his retainers and valves as well? Personally if anything would be my next move, it would be that; to avoid any repeats of your current situation.

Comment

My b. I meant it the other way around for non-vtec head/vtec block. But you have an F22 so doesn't matter. Why not just source another F22 block? A simple hone and bore should do the trick for one you might find in a junkyard. Or there's a guy in my area who was building an F22 but stopped. Not sure where he was with it but I could look him up. Bisi has his piston lineup that makes 12.5:1. Couple that with his header and level 2 cam youd probably be looking pretty good. Don't forget that there's an adapter so you can fit H22 manifolds so the EuroR or Skunk2s would be an option at that point.

I noticed you posted only the springs in your head, you don't have his retainers and valves as well? Personally if anything would be my next move, it would be that; to avoid any repeats of your current situation.
                    Yeah that's what I've decided to do. I'm going to build the block that's in the car though cuz I'm already familiar with it. I'm gonna have to look into those Bisi pistons. The compression might be too high though cuz I have a milled head (.030"). I actually ordered the valve springs and retainers but they forgot to send me the retainers and I was pressed for time so they gave me a refund. I ordered them because I have a Delta 272 cam and I needed some stiffer springs. I think I'm going to keep the valves stock though, I just had them redone. Plus I'm not trying to spend a fortune on this car, just enough to give me a little bump. I'm going to spend the big bucks on supercharging my Z.

Comment

LOL you can't say youre not trying to spend the big bucks and then build an F22 to outpower an H22....I want to get a Z and supercharge it myself. But the prices of those kits....I'll be 40 before that happens.

Comment

tony hit me up when you get an chance

I like the "suck me slowly" part. Thats my favorite.

Comment

LOL you can't say youre not trying to spend the big bucks and then build an F22 to outpower an H22....I want to get a Z and supercharge it myself. But the prices of those kits....I'll be 40 before that happens.
                          LMAO! True, true. That was definitely an oxymoron. Hit up the dude that you mentioned that was building the F22 and see how far he got on it. I'm actually from that area. I used to live in Newport News and I graduate from NSU. My mom lives in Suffolk.

Originally posted by ncoutlaw View Post
                          tony hit me up when you get an chance
                          Yes sir

Comment

Duuuude. I sorrys...

Comment

Just swap a H22. Its your calling.

Comment

Working...
                              X